Zilla Threw a Temper Tantrum This Morning! So Funny!

Amanda_Bennett

Sep 27, 2014
Gresham, OR
Parrots
Zilla 29 Y.O. Orange Wing Amazon
I almost choked on my coffee. :eek: If you can imagine a 3 year old with feathers throwing a fit then you can picture how this went down...

Apparently she really really hates corn! I've been putting some in her "fresh" food dish along with her other fruits & veggies in hopes she might eventually eat some. This morning I mixed everything together instead of leaving things separated in small piles.

She looked in the dish, picked up a piece of corn and dropped it back in the dish, picked up another and "threw" it back in the dish, then "stomped" over to her seed/pellet dish threw the peanut across the room, huffed while glaring daggers at me and ate a few seeds/pellets!

Then she drank some water which is closer to my chair than the food and just stood there glaring at me like I should know better and I should fix this catastrophe immediately!

Since she is sick and I want her to eat I took her "fresh" food dish back to the kitchen and picked out every corn kernel I could find and added a small piece of tomato (her favorite)

She did eat the tomato and some carrots & peas, a piece of apple, some banana and some more seed after I removed the offending corn kernels.

And this all happened before I had to give her the meds! I did manage to get all but a small drop of the meds down her, but it was a bigger fight than it has ever been before! I still have all my fingers, and no blood leaking out of them, but it's the first time she has left a mark on me ever. I was a bit scared she would break the plastic "syringe" I have to give the meds with, but she didn't.

She is now glaring daggers at me every time I walk by the cage, especially if I dare speak to her...:11:

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Those birdy temper tantrums are something else!
Sounds a little like Julie's thread about TOPS in the Harrison's dish:)
Your poor fingers, hopefully Zilla feels she has punished you enough. My Ekko also has to have all his veggies and fruits in separate piles in his main food dish, but wants them mixed in a small plastic bowl as well like everyone else has.

OP
Amanda_Bennett

Amanda_Bennett

Sep 27, 2014
Gresham, OR
Parrots
They sure do "train" us don't they!

And of course she knows I am worried about her so she can get away with picky and demanding!

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
If she's pitching a fit, it means she's feeling better. So that's a good thing.

noblemacaw

Sep 23, 2011
Parrots
Valentino - Red Fronted Macaw - Hatched August 12, 2012
Glad to see that Zilla has some spunk there. She sure made it known her displeasure with the "evil corn" LOL. I had a good chuckle with your story. Thank you for sharing it with us.

Wait until she is at 100 percent. She will probably throw the corn AT you. LOL

OP
Amanda_Bennett

Amanda_Bennett

Sep 27, 2014
Gresham, OR
Parrots
The peanut was lobbed in my general direction :D I think if she was 100% she might have hit me with it. :eek: My chair is only about 2 1/2 feet from her cage.

I can't wait for her to be 100% since I don't think she has been since before I got her. :(

The more I find out about her past the more mad I get and the more sorry I feel for her. :mad:

I am determined to make the rest of her life happy and healthy! :green:

michellebaughman

Sep 1, 2014
Media
Parrots
Binky my 11 month old quaker,brought him home July 11,2014. Olly my o.w.a is 8 years old.brought him home,sept.3rd. :-)
Lol olly did that one day because I dared put carrots in his bowl' he thought it was his favorite,sweet potatoes,he picked up every carrot n the bowl,tasted it then tossed them to the side,mad cause none of them were taters,then started slamming the bowl up and down and tried to push it off the side! Lol

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Well, I guess you learned your lesson about putting such an offensive food as corn in Zilla's dish! Next time you make such a mistake it'll be a chomp instead of a fit;) (<-----all in good humor, of course!)

Glad she's feeling better though! A bossy amazon is a healthy amazon!

LilChodi954

Jun 27, 2014
South & Central Florida
Parrots
Lil Chodi - 12 year old Male DYH Amazon
Gizmo - 19 year old Male DYH Amazon
Sasha - 9 year old CAG
Amanda,
Your post reminded me of one of my favorite photos. I had to give Lil' Chodi meds when we first got him. It was a daily struggle. On day number 2 he simply responded by grabbing the syringe from me and holding it with his foot :) It was his way of letting me know that he was not "cool" with a twice a day dose :) :) :)

Attachments

• IMG_0127.JPG
    IMG_0127.JPG
    42.8 KB · Views: 115

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Amanda,
Your post reminded me of one of my favorite photos. I had to give Lil' Chodi meds when we first got him. It was a daily struggle. On day number 2 he simply responded by grabbing the syringe from me and holding it with his foot :) It was his way of letting me know that he was not "cool" with a twice a day dose :) :) :)

Boy does he have some serious red on those wings:eek: He is a beautiful DYH! And it looks like he has an attitude to match his good looks:D

RainbowRose

Aug 6, 2014
How dare you mix corn in the dish!!! Hahaha that was probably the thought process! Birds are so funny when you see some interesting sides to their personalities ^_^ and hey I guess it's a good sign of recovery if energetic!

LilChodi954

Jun 27, 2014
South & Central Florida
Parrots
Lil Chodi - 12 year old Male DYH Amazon
Gizmo - 19 year old Male DYH Amazon
Sasha - 9 year old CAG
Attitude is the understatement of the year. I always enjoy reading "the attitude" stories about everyone's amazon's. I can just imagine the look on Zilla's face with the corn. It's funny how they convey their feelings:)
There are days when Lil' Chodi wants to make his "point" - he will take food from my hand (ie nut, bread ), look at me for about 2 seconds and then throw it right back at me. :) So Rude ! LOL, but he clearly let's me know how he's feeling :)

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
I'm so glad Zilla is feeling good enough to throw a tantrum over the substandard cuisine. Zilla is so fortunate to have a new life with you, Amanda. I know both of you will be happier when you finish up with Zilla's meds.

At birdie mealtime, I have six chances to get it right, usually at least one or two birds are delighted and the others or satisfied, according to what's on the menu. One afternoon I added fresh chopped yellow squash (not a first) to their bowls and they all started rioting. The wild birds had fresh squash for dinner.

OP
Amanda_Bennett

Amanda_Bennett

Sep 27, 2014
Gresham, OR
Parrots
She is definitely getting better and showing her approval/disapproval with everything I do, not just the menu! :) And the wild birds/squirrels are eating very well these days.

Her vet check went AWESOME! She is doing much, much better and the vet is pleased with her progress. :D She was so good, no one had to wear gloves, no one got bit or hurt, not the vet, vet techs, me, or her! She did protest at being poked and prodded, weighed and measured, but it was more verbal (squawking) than physically biting. She has what I hope will be her final appointment (for this issue) on Thurs. afternoon.

She thought she could just fly away last night at medication time...LOL She found out the hard way she can only gracefully (or not so gracefully) glide down to the floor. (first time she has tried to fly since I got her wings clipped) So then she thought she could just run up the hallway to get away from me..LOL Found out the hard way that wouldn't work either.:D This morning she didn't even try to fly away, not that she liked getting the meds, but maybe she has resigned herself to the fact I am going to give them to her!

She weighs 350 grams and the vet said it isn't too bad for her size. It's not the "ideal" weight, but considering what her diet had been, and what she has been through, it's not too bad. Vet said not to worry about her weight right now, she would rather we focus on getting her well, keep her eating the fresh foods she likes, pellets (she actually eats 8 or 10 a day now, just not the red ones, they are icky!) and keep giving her the seed mix I am giving her (or something similar) in small amounts.

Most Reactions

Latest posts