1 2 3 bungeeeee!!!!

wildheart

Banned
Banned
Mar 16, 2010
South Africa
The last time I jumped was in 2003, my daughter asked: PLEASE MOMMY I ALSO WANT TO JUMP, she was only 10 then and of course I had to tell her to grow up first. :D Since then she became scared of heights and would never jump from anything... but I had different plans.

At an altitude of 1493 meters above sea level where adrenalin levels flow at their peak attached by safety harness to the spur of Mauchsberg. Freefall at a speed of 180 km per hour on one of the world's highest gorge swings. A drop of 68 meters or 18 storeys in less than 3 seconds. :eek: AWESOME!!!

She conquered her fear - although she says now that I forced her, I would never do that.:p

She was absolutely terrified and her legs were shaking like crazy.... but she LOVED IT and promised to do it again - well that was BEFORE she had to clime all the way back up.:rolleyes:

Craig videoed us from the other side of the mountain. Hope you enjoy.;) Oh and dont put the speakers too loud, the screams might blow them.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evHQAL29ayE"]YouTube - ‪First time Big Swing terrified!‬‏[/ame]

Last edited:

Ratzy

Apr 7, 2010
Media
Hamilton, Victoria, Australia
Parrots
See siggie :)
OMG Linky I could never do that. We did the giant swing ( 20m high ) at our camp and the only way I was able to do it was go second ( we don't get time to consult with the first person ) and I couldn't breathe through it and my stupid legs shook for 10 minutes after.
Wow :eek:

mellykyitus

Oct 22, 2010
Media
south wales UK
Parrots
Angel the blue and gold macaw, mimsy the lesser sulphur too, rocky the galah & willow the blue crowned conure.
OMG!!! i could never do that! you're daughter is sooo brave, well done! x

greycloud

Mar 21, 2010
Baltimore, MD
Parrots
Sammy-Umbrella Too-rescued,
Dexter-CAG-rehomed handicapped,
Sterling-CAG-rehomed retired breeder.
Sunshine-12 yo CAG-adopted
O...M...G!!! You are very brave girls!!! Never would you see me do that!! Kudos to both of you!!!

Von1983

Banned
Banned
Sep 3, 2010
Media
OMG LINKY!!!!

SO proud of Christie! :D:D:D:D

Cal is shouting her head off listening to Craig talk hahaha!

What a lovely hug you had beforehand! Her little shaky legs, she was so so brave! :D

Maybe next time she will not leave the smokes with Craig hahaha!

Thanks so much for posting, me and Dave really enjoyed that. He thinks you are both the bravest people ever!

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Absolutely incredible, I am so jealous, I have always wanted to jump
You were both so brave, and jumping backwards wow

Love the little chirps...... hie hie
Craig did a great job, could not have been easy following you art that speed
Thanks I enjoyed that, guess it's the closest I will ever get to jumping hie hie

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
WOW how spectacular is this? Can you describe how it felt? You both are so brave. Next time you have a visit from Ant. you can take her!

Last edited:
OP
wildheart

wildheart

Banned
Banned
Mar 16, 2010
South Africa
Yes Von that was a WONDERFUL bonding hug hey!:D

Tannie Di, the more terrified you are the better the adrenalin rush! I wasn't afraid at all on this jump, I was being strong for Christie because I was scared that if I showed concern that she will back out. This was the 3rd time that I've jumped, the first time was INCREDIBLE!!! After that it feels as if you've been dead all your life and that you are for the first time tasting what life should feel like.:D It is absolutely awesome - I am a real adrenalin junkie.:D

Did you see how tired she was when Craig recorded us after the walk back up? Shame all she said was uhh!:D

OP
wildheart

wildheart

Banned
Banned
Mar 16, 2010
South Africa
However, I dont think I will jump again or let anybody that I know jump, sorry Ant. When we got back my brother told me about a couple that jumped and they hit the rocks. The lady died on impact.:(

Witnesses tell of horror jump: News24: South Africa: News

They were back in operation weeks later and according to the Graskop local newspaper there was not even a proper inspection done. :(

Below is the reason why I doubt if I will ever jump in South Africa again.

"On further investigation Lowvelder also ascertained that this industry - being that of bungee and bridge swinging - is not regulated by any specific authority and such operators need not be registered or accredited. Neither does any specific legislation exist to control the industry.

The only legislation found to be closely related to the industry was that of the Occupation Health and Safety Act, and upon investigation, it was found that the last safety check carried out at the big swing by the Department of Labour was done in 2007.:mad::mad::mad:"

.:The Lowvelder Online - Die Laevelder Op Die Web:.
.:The Lowvelder Online - Die Laevelder Op Die Web:.

My sincere condolences go out to the Samuels family.:(

OP
wildheart

wildheart

Banned
Banned
Mar 16, 2010
South Africa
Not only that but it took them over 5 hours to rescue them! You would honestly think that they would have enforced a law to at least make the steps down the mountain safer! There were several steps missing and the ones that were there was broken/rotten and so slippery. The railings that you need to hold onto are made of wood and missing on several places. We had to bend over and hold onto the steps to try and not fall. It was actually scarier to come back up than what it was to jump. :(

In South Africa human life means NOTHING!:(

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
OMG I remember reading about this incident last year in the YOU magazine.

I promised myself that I would never ever jump, and prayed my guys would not either.

Just goes to show how quickly we forget, and how much quicker we are to "jump" into a situation, not thinking of the consequences.

In South Africa human life means NOTHING!.........
IT'S ALL ABOUT
MAKING MONEY

:(

OP
wildheart

wildheart

Banned
Banned
Mar 16, 2010
South Africa
I just found more articles of other people who also hit the rocks but thankfully did not die. I cant believe that the place is STILL OPEN! :mad: The only difference that I saw from my last jump in 2003 was that there was more employees on duty - not working employees - nope, they were just sitting around.:mad:

That is just more proof that if a human life means nothing in this country then you can understand why animals mean even less. :(

Von1983

Banned
Banned
Sep 3, 2010
Media
accchhh worse than you thought then Links :(

Maybe there is a safer one somewhere else?

The hug brought tears to my eyes btw lol! Dave was calling me "a silly" ;) xxxx

OP
wildheart

wildheart

Banned
Banned
Mar 16, 2010
South Africa
The hug brought tears to my eyes btw lol! Dave was calling me "a silly" ;) xxxx

Ahh that hug at the time was very special and really made my mommy heart beat warm and fast. :D But watching it on video it almost seem like she was holding on to me begging me "Mommy PLEASE dont let me jump"!
please.gif
That is really what it looks like.:p

SharonC

May 26, 2010
That looks rather scary....and not something I would ever do! Glad you had fun though!

Most Reactions

Latest posts