1 week of Baytril Still discharge, what things have you been prescribed?

Oct 13, 2021
Parrots
2 Cockatiels
So Alvin has been on Baytril for a week now, I noticed some yellow looking skin, which appeared to be causing the warped shape of the hole,he has still had wet sneezes, I noticed his skin was really really dry on his right nare only, his left is pretty much perfect as it ever is.

I have put a humidifier on today with distilled sterilised water. I came down a few hours later and noticed his nose was in a very bad looking state with a skin like substance, like the infection 4 months ago (and kind of like before I took him recently), covering part of his hole, the nose itself is a normal colour and does not seem infected.

I am curious if people think this is just the dry skin peeling off thanks to the humidifer? I've never used one before and wondered if people have had experience with them and this kind of thing happening to their birds nose? Or does this seem like the anti biotics might not be working? My gut says it's likely skin thanks to the humidifer but the paranoid part of me is thinking the worst. Also if this is dry skin, he doesn't like being handled at all, but what advice outside of humidifiers can anyone give to try?

He is not scheduled to have another visit with that vet I have visited, but I am considering maybe a visit next week after the anti biotic course to get a flush/clean out.

Update: This has now changed, the dry skin seems to have gone but the hole is smaller, and there's a yellow what looks like a cheesy substance inside his nose tha tstretches to the outside. I'm guessing this is a sign the baytril is not working?

Attachments

• IMG_20211125_180137.jpg
    IMG_20211125_180137.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_20211125_180234.jpg
    IMG_20211125_180234.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_20211125_180632.jpg
    IMG_20211125_180632.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Baytril is a broad spectrum antibiotic. But there are some infections it doesn't work on, one being psittacosis, or if it was actually a fungal infection. Psittacosis is more common. So it could be if ( I have no idea what is making your burd sick) thst doxycline would be a good choice.

I hope your bird recovers abd feels better. Watch weight, provide warmth and make sure eating well.

OP
C
Oct 13, 2021
Parrots
2 Cockatiels
Baytril is a broad spectrum antibiotic. But there are some infections it doesn't work on, one being psittacosis, or if it was actually a fungal infection. Psittacosis is more common. So it could be if ( I have no idea what is making your burd sick) thst doxycline would be a good choice.

I hope your bird recovers abd feels better. Watch weight, provide warmth and make sure eating well.
I will call the vets tomorrow then and discuss, looking at that link when he was given karidox last time, he shoudl have been given it for 45 days if it was psittacosis... Which sounds very scary. I hope it isn't psittacosis, I know the test tesults are due next week for psittacosis, and it would mean he may have given it to his brother as they share the same playground...

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Psittacosis is treatable, and ranges from mild to more serious, with most falling middle to less severe and more chronic. Definitely treat all birds in the home, even if no symptoms of this infection is suspected. Cultures don't always come back positive.

I'm not a vet, and I can't know what the issues are.

Diet is also important. Peppers are great most will eat them abd tgey are a good source of vitamin A . Which is important for immune and respiratory health. As are leafy greens like romaine, and other veggies.

OP
C
Oct 13, 2021
Parrots
2 Cockatiels
Psittacosis is treatable, and ranges from mild to more serious, with most falling middle to less severe and more chronic. Definitely treat all birds in the home, even if no symptoms of this infection is suspected. Cultures don't always come back positive.

I'm not a vet, and I can't know what the issues are.

Diet is also important. Peppers are great most will eat them abd tgey are a good source of vitamin A . Which is important for immune and respiratory health. As are leafy greens like romaine, and other veggies.
Yea, I've tried them on peppers, but it's one of the few things they seem to not like. I'm pretty sure Alvin has had Doxy in the past, and what bothers me is it worked, but when I asked if I shoudl give his brother any he said no need it wouldn't have spread...

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
It is highly contagious and spreads airborne easily!

Last edited:

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
The skin like substance could be some skin or old mucus flaking away. Birds can’t deliberately blow their noses so he’s kind of stuck with this until it falls or is rubbed off.

If you’re on an antibiotic program, keep on it ! And ask your vet or send the vet the photos.

Is the humidifier very helpful? I’m in the Midwest u.s. and it’s very very dry her in winter. I always here that i should get one for both me and my birds.

Most Reactions

Latest posts