28 years old BCC almost permanent head tilt - dying?

KenU

Apr 29, 2022
Parrots
Blue crowned conure
Just this morning we've noticed Max's head leaning into his food b
20230622_123944.jpg
20230622_123944.jpg
owl thinking he was eating but noticed he almost couldn't pick his head up? We took him out of his cage and placed him on a towel. He's pretty much been like this the whole day. Could he be nearing the rainbow at this point?

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
Can you get him to a vet? Certain types of vitamin deficiencies can cause this, as well as disease or injury. The bigger threat here though is that he likely can’t eat like that.

He needs to be taken in for emergency care ASAP, where they can check his CBC and fecal and get him fluids and into a warm and sterile environment.

It’s called wry neck in poultry and can have a number of causes, but it’s almost always something they can survive with veterinary attention : https://grubblyfarms.com/blogs/the-flyer/a-guide-to-wry-neck-in-chickens

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
I don't have any particular advice for you, but my goodness this does look very worrying and i'm so sorry you are going through this. Sending all my hopes to you and your baby and I hope he pulls through!! 🙏🙏🙏

OP
K

KenU

Apr 29, 2022
Parrots
Blue crowned conure
Thanks to everyone for their good wishes and advice.

Took Max this morning to the Vet and they weren't too hopeful considering his age.. My wife reminded me that he's actually 29! Without the Vet doing more in depth testing, prodding etc they really wouldn't be able to diagnose what's really going on. And we don't want to subject him to all that, considering his condition and age. They believe it's neurological - (he's had some difficulty perching recently and falling in and out of his cage) amongst other possibilities they discussed ie; certain organs breaking down, maybe had a little stroke/ or has a brain tumor, etc. Just guesses at this point. So, they prescribed an anti-inflammatory, which we just gave him. And, they also gave an antibiotic, which we held off giving him. So we'll see how things go in the next coupla days. But all in all, we're not very optimistic, again due to his age. I think we just have to face the obvious and make sure he's not in any pain or suffering before we make the final decision to have him enter the rainbow, while our hearts break into pieces.😭

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.

Took Max this morning to the Vet and they weren't too hopeful considering his age.. My wife reminded me that he's actually 29! Without the Vet doing more in depth testing, prodding etc they really wouldn't be able to diagnose what's really going on. And we don't want to subject him to all that, considering his condition and age. They believe it's neurological - (he's had some difficulty perching recently and falling in and out of his cage) amongst other possibilities they discussed ie; certain organs breaking down, maybe had a little stroke/ or has a brain tumor, etc. Just guesses at this point. So, they prescribed an anti-inflammatory, which we just gave him. And, they also gave an antibiotic, which we held off giving him. So we'll see how things go in the next coupla days. But all in all, we're not very optimistic, again due to his age. I think we just have to face the obvious and make sure he's not in any pain or suffering before we make the final decision to have him enter the rainbow, while our hearts break into pieces.😭
So sorry to hear this! You gve Max a great ling life and he loves you as much as you love him. If these are his last days, im sure you will give him lots of comfort and stay by his side as he begins the journey.
Here I go again. Crying for someone else I don't know and their beloved feathered child. Us bird people just feel each other's pain, I guess.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)

Thank you for updating, @KenU, though I am awfully sorry to hear that the news from the vet was not better. Max is so very fortunate to have lived a life full of the love that you have given him for so long, and if the worst does happen, he will pass to the Bridge wrapped up in that endless love. What a blessing you all are to each other, I just wish they never had to leave us, and that it didn't hurt so much when they do - but I guess that's a measure of how very much we love them.

Warmest hugs to all of you and I am keeping you in my prayers 🙏

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
~~~

It’s always so hard to say goodbye. I hope he pulls through but I agree that invasive testing when the symptom onset was so sudden is only going to make him miserable. I hope he remains comfortable and if he passes away, does so peacefully. My sincere condolences.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
We don't want to get too far ahead of ourselves here but what a difference an anti-inflammatory makes, wow!
View attachment 51943
View attachment 51944
How WONDERFUL! Maybe it's not Max's time after all!
Is he eating at all? I'm so happy for you!

Let your vet know right away how well he's doing because vets don't always hear about the good news and bring him in for follow up.

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
~~~
If the anti inflammatory is working there may indeed be something underlying that is causing the wry neck. Are you giving the antibiotics yet? I would at this point!

OP
K

KenU

Apr 29, 2022
Parrots
Blue crowned conure
How WONDERFUL! Maybe it's not Max's time after all!
Is he eating at all? I'm so happy for you!

Let your vet know right away how well he's doing because vets don't always hear about the good news and bring him in for follow up.
He ate some banana earlier but my wife's reluctant to put him back in his cage - afraid he could fall. So, we'll try and put some seed in the same small dish alongside his little water dish and see how that goes...

Thank you!!

OP
K

KenU

Apr 29, 2022
Parrots
Blue crowned conure
If the anti inflammatory is working there may indeed be something underlying that is causing the wry neck. Are you giving the antibiotics yet? I would at this point!
Ok, we'll try that. Thanks

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
He ate some banana earlier but my wife's reluctant to put him back in his cage - afraid he could fall. So, we'll try and put some seed in the same small dish alongside his little water dish and see how that goes...

Thank you!!
I wouldn't put him back in his cage until he's perching well. Maybe an open top box with a towel for comfort?

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
We don't want to get too far ahead of ourselves here but what a difference an anti-inflammatory makes, wow!
He almost looks like a different bird! That's fantastic - go Max!! 😍

pawpaw

Jun 15, 2023
Parrots
sun conure
Max looks much better now !Hope he will recover soon

Vampiric_Conure

May 16, 2022
Media
Albums
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Parrots
Charlie (M) - 23 yrs - Peach Front Conure
Redshift (M)-22yrs - normal Cockatiel
Moon (M) - 2 ys - wf pied cockatiel
Chara (F)- 1 yr - wf pied cockatiel
Yaaay for the improvement! Let's hope it clears up whatever was bothering the fellow in the long run :D.

Most Reactions