4 month old crimson rosella

wilkesy123

Aug 31, 2021
Parrots
crimson rosella
Hi my name is Tom i have recently purchased a crimson rosella and i am after some advice and tips on how to start hand feeding her and gaining her trust. Any advice would be gratefully appreciated. Thanks.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome Tom, thanks for joining! To best answer your hand-feeding question, may I assume your crimson rosella has not yet weaned? Or is she in the process of transitioning to solid foods? We generally don't recommend purchasing unweaned babies for reasons in linked thread. I don't wish to presume so please read in the spirit of providing as much information as possible! https://www.parrotforums.com/threads/so-you-bought-an-unweaned-baby.74363/

Many techniques to gaining trust, all start with love, patience, and time! Excellent advice here: https://www.parrotforums.com/threads/tips-for-bonding-and-building-trust.49144/

OP
W

wilkesy123

Aug 31, 2021
Parrots
crimson rosella
Hi thanks for responding. she is fully weaned and is on solid foods. i have had her for almost a week and to be fair i think she is progressing quite well. She will take food from my fingers through the cage so i'm assuming she is beginning to trust me. i spend a lot of time wt her eye level talking to here. Thanks.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

Awesome, she is on her way to becoming a beloved companion! Accepting food from your hand is a sign of trust and great motivator to increase bonding.

OP
W

wilkesy123

Aug 31, 2021
Parrots
crimson rosella
Awesome, she is on her way to becoming a beloved companion! Accepting food from your hand is a sign of trust and great motivator to increase bonding.
Thanks. When would you suggest is the best time to let her out the cage and how do i get her out without causing her any distress i have been popping a perch in and out a couple of times a day. She does step up onto it sometimes just worried i wont get her back in lol. Thanks.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots

Best way to condition cage movement is with high value treats. Easiest method for exit is opening cage door and allowing her to step out with curiosity. If unsuccessful, place a playpen or stand nearby with desired food. Alternatively, if she comfortably steps up on perch or hand, success! Return can be more difficult requiring the most desired reward. Bits of nuts such as almond, walnut, or pine among most treasured. Having the cage stocked with appealing toys can be strong motivator as well.

OP
W

wilkesy123

Aug 31, 2021
Parrots
crimson rosella
Best way to condition cage movement is with high value treats. Easiest method for exit is opening cage door and allowing her to step out with curiosity. If unsuccessful, place a playpen or stand nearby with desired food. Alternatively, if she comfortably steps up on perch or hand, success! Return can be more difficult requiring the most desired reward. Bits of nuts such as almond, walnut, or pine among most treasured. Having the cage stocked with appealing toys can be strong motivator as well.
I just did what you said she came out strait away flew around for half an hour then i rattled her food bowl and she came strait back to her cage. i was shocked but im very happy with the progress in under a week of having her. i really appreciate all your advice its very helpful thanks.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots

I'm honored to have helped in a small way! Hopefully progress remains consistent but don't be surprised if a bit uneven at times!!

Most Reactions

Latest posts