LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Melshak, I'm so terribly sorry you are going through this, I feel just awful for you. Nothing worse in my opinion than the worry we feel when our babies are sick. Thank goodness you were able to get proper medical care for him so promptly!

I'm sorry I don't have any particular advice or insight for you, just prayers that whatever is wrong is treatable and every good wish for a full recovery. Sending warmest of feathered hugs and strength for your and your baby, please keep us updated šŸ™

OP
F

Felemmm

Nov 26, 2021
Melshak, I'm so terribly sorry you are going through this, I feel just awful for you. Nothing worse in my opinion than the worry we feel when our babies are sick. Thank goodness you were able to get proper medical care for him so promptly!

I'm sorry I don't have any particular advice or insight for you, just prayers that whatever is wrong is treatable and every good wish for a full recovery. Sending warmest of feathered hugs and strength for your and your baby, please keep us updated šŸ™
Thank you so much. I really appreciate it. I hope it is treatable too. If itā€™s life long I will be devasatated.šŸ˜­šŸ¦œā¤ļø

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome to you and your amazon under seemingly forlorn circumstances. Deep respect for ethics and responsibility superior to breeder. May you find expert care leading to quality, long life for your bird.

OP
F

Felemmm

Nov 26, 2021
Welcome to you and your amazon under seemingly forlorn circumstances. Deep respect for ethics and responsibility superior to breeder. May you find expert care leading to quality, long life for your bird.
Thank you I appreciate it, getting blood and culture results tomorrow. Letā€™s hope I can sleep the night.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

Thank you I appreciate it, getting blood and culture results tomorrow. Letā€™s hope I can sleep the night.
Hoping for the very best update, we're always here to chat and support as desired.

OP
F

Felemmm

Nov 26, 2021
Hello, good ish news! They donā€™t want to test for bornia because they have concluded he has a developmental delay in his stomach which can be managed and doesnā€™t affect his life span. I AM SO relieved. Vet said bornia is misdiagnosed a lot
Hoping for the very best update, we're always here to chat and support as desired.

Last edited:

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Fantastic news, thank you for this wonderful and optimistic update, Melshak! Is baby home yet or still an inpatient? Will continue to send good vibes and cyber hugs to both of you anyway, but this certainly is most welcome news! :)

OP
F

Felemmm

Nov 26, 2021
Fantastic news, thank you for this wonderful and optimistic update, Melshak! Is baby home yet or still an inpatient? Will continue to send good vibes and cyber hugs to both of you anyway, but this certainly is most welcome news! :)
He is home now, he is doing a lot better cos they also found he has an infection! After his pain meds he is looking a lot more playful and happy :) thanks for the support! Muchly appreciated

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Oh that's so good to hear that he's home, and his condition is hopefully manageable going forward :) I hope the infection clears up quickly too. Congratulations Melshak, great news all round, I am so very happy for you!

jeffisme

Jan 28, 2016
I don't think it makes a person a "shit owner" to have to return a bird. At least I didn't see myself that way. I handfed a baby Red Lored for two weeks until he was ready to come home. The agreement with the store was that I would take the bird for an examination at my vet the next day.

I did, and she diagnosed the bird with PDD, pending more tests. Those tests came back positive. She explained that the bird who was regurgitating and small for his age, would probably based on her experience (she takes care of all the birds in a major sanctuary nearby) live about two years, and that was with extraordinary care, care that was beyond my means and more than I trusted myself to do.

So he was returned as we agreed. It was a tough decision but I thought it was going to give him the best chance and, frankly, the potential heartbreak was too much. There was a lot of conversation between the vet and me about this. She is an extraordinary, caring person, and I'm comfortable I made the right decision. Everybody is different, every circumstance is different, so I'd be hesitant to put a label on everyone who makes such a difficult choice. I'm glad for you that it appears to have worked out so well.

OP
F

Felemmm

Nov 26, 2021
I don't think it makes a person a "shit owner" to have to return a bird. At least I didn't see myself that way. I handfed a baby Red Lored for two weeks until he was ready to come home. The agreement with the store was that I would take the bird for an examination at my vet the next day.

I did, and she diagnosed the bird with PDD, pending more tests. Those tests came back positive. She explained that the bird who was regurgitating and small for his age, would probably based on her experience (she takes care of all the birds in a major sanctuary nearby) live about two years, and that was with extraordinary care, care that was beyond my means and more than I trusted myself to do.

So he was returned as we agreed. It was a tough decision but I thought it was going to give him the best chance and, frankly, the potential heartbreak was too much. There was a lot of conversation between the vet and me about this. She is an extraordinary, caring person, and I'm comfortable I made the right decision. Everybody is different, every circumstance is different, so I'd be hesitant to put a label on everyone who makes such a difficult choice. I'm glad for you that it appears to have worked out so well.
Hello,

sorry to have offended, I meant more so because my bird was homed in lesser circumstances, if I returned him he wouldnā€™t get the care he needs, he had a staph infection from his environment and needs care that I do not think he wouldā€™ve received. I do not judge anyone for returning their bird, but I do know if I returned him he wouldnā€™t get the intensive care he currently requires. Good thing he is going to be okay though. Iā€™m sorry to hear this has happened to you.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots

Hello, good ish news! They donā€™t want to test for bornia because they have concluded he has a developmental delay in his stomach which can be managed and doesnā€™t affect his life span. I AM SO relieved. Vet said bornia is misdiagnosed a lot and it is gastroparesis instead so that was my birds diagnosis. I am relieved because at least I know it is not a death sentence.
Overjoyed with findings of treatable illness! May the diagnosis prove true and readily corrected. Please do not hesitate to seek second opinion if therapy lags expectations.

OP
F

Felemmm

Nov 26, 2021
Overjoyed with findings of treatable illness! May the diagnosis prove true and readily corrected. Please do not hesitate to seek second opinion if therapy lags expectations.

Thank you! So far he has stopped crying and thatā€™s because he regressed to wanting formula so that was remedied after he got formula again. He is struggling with weaning again/ digestion as well as his staph infection but I think he is recovering well thus far. I hope in two weeks little bud will be at his normal, not that I ever saw what that looked like! I hope the diagnosis sticks also :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts