A behavior change should I be worried

grassyfairy

Nov 7, 2012
We have had Chino for a little over a week. When we first brought him home his cage was in front of the window. I thought it would give him something to look at and possibly hear the outside birds. He squawked alot(it was not appealing). I then read in one of the many parrot guides that sitting him in front of the window could make him feel insecure. I moved him to the corner of the room thinking that would help. He is quite now. Way too quite. He doesn't even chirp much now.

Since I moved him we have let him come of his cage everyday for several hours. Although he does not do much. He seems to like getting out of his cage.

He seems to be ok health wise he eats like there is no tomorrow and drinks plenty of water. His poop looks normal.

I guess my question is , is this normal for a new bird. He is a baby of 4 months. Please help all info is appreciated.:green2:

cnyguy

Apr 23, 2010
Syracuse, NY
Parrots
Quaker parrot, Ralph
After only a week, Chino is still getting used to his new home and learning to trust you. It's not unusual for a parrot to be quiet when he recently arrived in a new home; when he was in the window, Chino was probably chirping in response to the sights and sounds of the outside world. It might be better not to move Chino's cage around until he feels more comfortable there-- he's faced with so many other new and different things to adjust to.

OP
G

grassyfairy

Nov 7, 2012
Thanks i appreciate your info I will leave him where he is for a awhile.

mrgoogls

May 6, 2012
Parrots
1 male Quaker-Cooper
cnyguy is right on with his answer. when my quaker Cooper first arrived home he didnt make a peep for the first week or 2. now almost 2 months in, he makes a ton of noise. i wouldnt move chino's cage around until he is settled in. as long as he is eating/drinking he sounds good. have fun with chino. quakers are great birds!

MeganMango

Oct 13, 2012
Media
Guelph Ontario
Parrots
1 red bellied parrot (Mango), 3 cockatiels (Bugsie, Alfie, and Bananas)
Mango my red belly is really quiet, and we have had him over a month. He can be really vocal, but its usually just when he is excited.

Most Reactions

Latest posts