A Cheap Bird's Plea [Poem]

Alisana

May 31, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Yuki - Snow white budgie; Luna - Blue budgie; Pocket - Hahn's Macaw
Found this posted on an avian vet's Facebook page.

A Cheap Bird's Plea, by Joyce Glass

What is it that my life is worth
How much will you pay
To what extent would you go
If I get ill today?

I know I'm not an expensive bird
My cost is fairly cheap
But what is the price you put on life
For something that you keep?

My wings still spread out the same
My heart still has a beat
So why is it that my cousins
Are the ones you hold so sweet?

I cannot help that I was born
Without a golden egg.
Will you still take care of me
Or make me plead and beg?

I rely on you to help me
As I can't do it for myself.
Well you take the steps needed
Or just put me on a shelf?

So when you walk by me
Please look me in the eye.
If it would come down to it
Would I live or die?​

:whiteblue: :blue2: :yellow2: :greenyellow: :white1: :grey: :yellow1:

(If this is in the wrong forum, please feel free to move it - I wasn't sure if this would be health or not, considering the context)

MaraWentz

Banned
Banned
Mar 27, 2012
Media
St.Leonard, MD
Parrots
Red Front Macaw, Elvis, 10,male RIP

Red Front Macaw, Erin, 1.5,female

Goffin Cockatoo, Blossom 2,female Rehomed

Blue & Gold Macaw, Oscar, Male, 21 years old, Rehomed

American Bulldog Mix,
I'm so glad you post that. I know people who get cockatiels and budgies and when they get sick or injured they do nothing for them at all because they were $25-$50 birds. I honestly, don't care for them as they are completely different from a parrot, but people need to realize that just because the cost of the vet exam outweighs the cost of the bird doesn't mean it's not worth it. It's a living thing and when you buy a living thing you are promising to take care of it and love it, if not, it's better left in the store.

dishgal1

May 1, 2012
Texas
Parrots
Forrest -Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure, Nacho- Sun Conure
OMG that is heart wrenching.

evesta

Mar 22, 2012
Nebraska
Parrots
House and Wilson-Lineolated Parakeet Brothers
Thank you, good poem:)

A pet's life and the value of that life shouldn't be different from another because of expense or size. That's why I hate when people talk about "starter birds" as if a bird that is smaller or easier to work with are some how less of a parrot or disposable. My linnies are small, although not cheap at all, but I assure you they are all parrot(as are budgies and tiels) and should get the same respect as bigger birds. I am reminded every day that these little birds are true parrots with their charming antics and matching moodiness;)

My chihuahua is small and I got her cheaper than my other dogs but she is all dog and equal to my pedigree terriers in love and value. Same with all pets, imo.

Rana

Sep 18, 2012
Dublin, Ireland (Republic)
Parrots
Scottie Pippen (Pinapple GCC) Little Bandit (Hahns Macaw)
tears shot in my eyes when i read this...

I'm so gratefull i got to save my little bandit's life and that now - after months we now, finally get to tackle the last of her illnesses caused by the poor care from her last owner.
Every life is a life and is worth no more or less than another.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Absolutely BEAUTIFULLY written! Thank you very much for sharing this with all of us. :)

I, too, am all teary eyed now. SO touching!!

OOwl

Oct 12, 2010
Texas
Parrots
Rosebreasted Cockatoo, Congo Grey, MRH Amazon, Lovebird
I would spend every cent to my name to save the smallest of my parrots, a lovebird with whom I share the strongest bond. In fact, his vet bills eclipse every bird in my flock to date due to an injury he sustained to his eye. I read somewhere once that once a pet becomes yours, it's forever after "special" and of the highest value, because it's now not just A [insert name] it's THE most important [insert name] in your world. I rather liked that. . . .

MeganMango

Oct 13, 2012
Media
Guelph Ontario
Parrots
1 red bellied parrot (Mango), 3 cockatiels (Bugsie, Alfie, and Bananas)
I spent $1500 for three separate surgeries for my lop-eared rabbit over about 2 years. People thought I was completely crazy. The same people spend more than this over the same time frame on fancy starbucks coffees. To me, the bunny was far more valuable. He lived to be 15 despite his health conditions, and was a great friend. I still miss him.

Rana

Sep 18, 2012
Dublin, Ireland (Republic)
Parrots
Scottie Pippen (Pinapple GCC) Little Bandit (Hahns Macaw)
I spent $1500 for three separate surgeries for my lop-eared rabbit over about 2 years. People thought I was completely crazy. The same people spend more than this over the same time frame on fancy starbucks coffees. To me, the bunny was far more valuable. He lived to be 15 despite his health conditions, and was a great friend. I still miss him.

15 is a nice age for a bunny rabbit :) i'm sure he's had a wonderfull life and the best care he could ever get.

Bandit's bills are now pushing 1400 EURO give or take... and I have no regrets at all. having to leave her overnight is more upsetting to me than paying for it...

I do reaaaally like my starbuckses though:rolleyes: especially the toffee nut late christmas special...

kc_y0

Nov 17, 2011
Media
Sydney
Parrots
Eclectus Female - Audrey.
Art - Budgie.
Astro - Budgie.
Mini - Budgie, RIP gorgeous girl.
A wonderful poem, very touching!

OP
A

Alisana

May 31, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Yuki - Snow white budgie; Luna - Blue budgie; Pocket - Hahn's Macaw
I'm glad that everyone likes the poem. :) When I found it, I thought it was worth sharing.

I don't like the mentality of getting a "cheap" pet and not wanting to pay for the upkeep. It's very sad, regardless of the value of any animal, when you are buying that animal, not only are you making a commitment to the care of that animal, but a PROMISE that you will care for it, and do everything you can in your power to give it a wonderful life. That is a promise that every owner should be doing when they even consider the purchase of a companion/pet.

Most Reactions

Latest posts