Doubts about getting a galah

Sergior

Apr 5, 2024
Palencia, Spain
Parrots
One cockatiel (Pineapple) and two budgies (Wasabi and Norok)
Hello to everyone!

My name is Sergio, I'm 30 and I'm from Spain. First of all I need to say that I'm not a very good English speaker (but I can understand it without a problem) so hope you can understand me!

A few months ago my 5 years old female cockatiel, Whisky, passed away. I'm still living with a same old male cockatiel, Pinneapple, and two 3 years old budgies, but it's not the same kind of relation. While the living birds are around me and sometimes ask for scritches, they go just find without me, they are a very addorable flock. But Whisky was very different in the way that she was always asking for my attention (she was a part of the flock too, but in another way) and asking for head scritches. She was the most loving bird.

I'm still missing Whisky a lot but she is not going to came back, so I'm start thinking about having a new bird to try to have a new beautiful relation, but I don't feel prepared to that bird being a cockatiel beacuse I would feel like I'm replacing Whisky, even if it's not that way. Also, if I have a new cockatiel I think probably I'll start comparing the new with Whisky, with it's just not fair for the bird, Whisky or even me.

So that's the reason I started thinking about getting a Galah. As far as I know, they're pretty similar on a behavioural level to cockatiels, wich it's pretty fine beacuse tiels goes awesome with my way of living, nut I need to be sure to what should I expect if finally got one. To be honest, in the past thought a lot too about getting a Galah (a female), but with a bird as demanding as Whisky was I just think it was not a good idea beacuse her life quality would not be the same.

I've done my research anout Galah, but I'm still in doubt so I'm wondering if someone with experience with both, Galah and tiels, could help me on this question beacuse if I finally decide to go for a Galah it needs to be this year, beacuse the next one most part of parrots would be banned in Spain (but not cockatiels, so I always could have one in the future if I feel prepared).

Thanks a lot to everyone! :)

Mya the ringneck

Mar 30, 2024
Media
Texas
Parrots
Indian Ringneck(Mya)
African Greys(Curly)(Sydney)
Galah Cockatoo(Max)
Hello to everyone!

My name is Sergio, I'm 30 and I'm from Spain. First of all I need to say that I'm not a very good English speaker (but I can understand it without a problem) so hope you can understand me!

A few months ago my 5 years old female cockatiel, Whisky, passed away. I'm still living with a same old male cockatiel, Pinneapple, and two 3 years old budgies, but it's not the same kind of relation. While the living birds are around me and sometimes ask for scritches, they go just find without me, they are a very addorable flock. But Whisky was very different in the way that she was always asking for my attention (she was a part of the flock too, but in another way) and asking for head scritches. She was the most loving bird.

I'm still missing Whisky a lot but she is not going to came back, so I'm start thinking about having a new bird to try to have a new beautiful relation, but I don't feel prepared to that bird being a cockatiel beacuse I would feel like I'm replacing Whisky, even if it's not that way. Also, if I have a new cockatiel I think probably I'll start comparing the new with Whisky, with it's just not fair for the bird, Whisky or even me.

So that's the reason I started thinking about getting a Galah. As far as I know, they're pretty similar on a behavioural level to cockatiels, wich it's pretty fine beacuse tiels goes awesome with my way of living, nut I need to be sure to what should I expect if finally got one. To be honest, in the past thought a lot too about getting a Galah (a female), but with a bird as demanding as Whisky was I just think it was not a good idea beacuse her life quality would not be the same.

I've done my research anout Galah, but I'm still in doubt so I'm wondering if someone with experience with both, Galah and tiels, could help me on this question beacuse if I finally decide to go for a Galah it needs to be this year, beacuse the next one most part of parrots would be banned in Spain (but not cockatiels, so I always could have one in the future if I feel prepared).

Thanks a lot to everyone!
I own a Galah at the moment and he is an amazing bird with a lot of personality, if i could recommend any cockatoo to a person i would recommend a galah.
They are one of the more common cockatoos that people own and that is because of their loving and playful behavior (like a cockatiel), If you really do want to get a new bird and that bird being a galah i would recommend it.
They are not that hard to care for and they make an amazing pet.
I love mine and i think you would love them too.😁

OP
Sergior

Sergior

Apr 5, 2024
Palencia, Spain
Parrots
I own a Galah at the moment and he is an amazing bird with a lot of personality, if i could recommend any cockatoo to a person i would recommend a galah.
They are one of the more common cockatoos that people own and that is because of their loving and playful behavior (like a cockatiel), If you really do want to get a new bird and that bird being a galah i would recommend it.
They are not that hard to care for and they make an amazing pet.
I love mine and i think you would love them too.😁
Thanks! I'm scared to bring one home and find that it's not whta I expected and don't be able to bring her a good life or even don't enjoy the experience :(

Mya the ringneck

Mar 30, 2024
Media
Texas
Parrots
Indian Ringneck(Mya)
Galah Cockatoo(Max)
Thanks! I'm scared to bring one home and find that it's not whta I expected and don't be able to bring her a good life or even don't enjoy the experience :(
I think you would like one.
Many people say that they scream a lot and other things.
But mine has yet to really scream, all you have to do is make sure that they dont get scared and they will not scream.

OP
Sergior

Sergior

Apr 5, 2024
Palencia, Spain
Parrots
I think you would like one.
Many people say that they scream a lot and other things.
But mine has yet to really scream, all you have to do is make sure that they dont get scared and they will not scream.
I don't really care about the noise, I can handle that. I'm most worried about expecting something similar to a cockatiel in behavior and find something completly different and not being able to proper take care or don't be able to enjoy the relation or make it compatible with my life

Mya the ringneck

Mar 30, 2024
Media
Texas
Parrots
Indian Ringneck(Mya)
Galah Cockatoo(Max)
I don't really care about the noise, I can handle that. I'm most worried about expecting something similar to a cockatiel in behavior and find something completly different and not being able to proper take care or don't be able to enjoy the relation or make it compatible with my life
My Galah acts similarly in the way that he is loving, playful, likes cuddles, and is very social. So i think he acts similar to a cockatiel.

GambotheGreyt

Feb 8, 2024
Parrots
Currently.. congo african grey
Well diet and toys are quite important with a Galah and one on one time. They are smarter birds than cockatiels. Whatever bird you choose, you must be realistic with your expectations and be patient. The bond will not happen overnight!

Most Reactions