A Good Parrot Choice For My 7 Yr Old Daughter

Wings

Jun 14, 2013
Ohio
Parrots
Budgie, "Julie"
If your daughter is interested in larger birds I would recommend a rock pebbler. (Regent parrot), A green cheek conure, and depending on the maturity of your daughter a Poicephalus parrot would be great! One of my personal favourites are the meyers and senegals. Parrotlets and lovebirds wouldn't be very good as they have a reputation for being nippy. I don't recommend budgies for kids, as you may know by my ranting thread :D

OP
Blancaej

Blancaej

Apr 5, 2013
Middlebury, VT
Parrots
CAG Quincy - BD 3/27/00. Gotcha 6/00 ~ GW Macaw Savannah - BD 6/21/93. Gotcha 4/13 ~ B&G Macaw Coqui - BD 9/3/03. Gotcha 10/13 ~ Blue Crown Conure Sidney - BD Unknown Approx 5 Years Old. Gotcha 6/15/
It really depends on how much time she can devote to the bird.
If you don't or can't handle a cockatiel for a few days they are more forgiving.
Lovebirds on the other hand, are less forgiving, you should handle them daily in order to keep them connected to you.
does your daughter want a bird that will sit on her shoulder, or to play with.
A conure will do both, but like everyone mentioned, they can pack a real nasty bite, same with a lovebird, even a tame one.

A cockatiel would be her best choice, for safety reasons, they are highly devoted, and fun to watch, especially males which you can train to speak.

The other bird you could look at are a Lineolated Parakeet, I've owned 5 of them, they love hanging upside down, have an alert call, a very very calm bird.
they are about the size of a lovebird, come in beautiful colours, and are real cuttle bugs, but not a needy bird. Not many breeders around for those types, but if you do find one I would highly recommend them for a first time bird.

Crimson -A lineolated parakeet, sounds interesting. I will check it out. Thanks for all the great advice.

I would like to suggest that whichever type of bird you go with, let the bird pick her. My daughter wanted to go by color but I said let one of the babies choose. Sure enough one came to her and a beautiful friendship was born.

Merlee - I like the idea of letting the bird pick her once she decides on type. Great suggestion!

OP
Blancaej

Blancaej

Apr 5, 2013
Middlebury, VT
Parrots
CAG Quincy - BD 3/27/00. Gotcha 6/00 ~ GW Macaw Savannah - BD 6/21/93. Gotcha 4/13 ~ B&G Macaw Coqui - BD 9/3/03. Gotcha 10/13 ~ Blue Crown Conure Sidney - BD Unknown Approx 5 Years Old. Gotcha 6/15/
If your daughter is interested in larger birds I would recommend a rock pebbler. (Regent parrot), A green cheek conure, and depending on the maturity of your daughter a Poicephalus parrot would be great! One of my personal favourites are the meyers and senegals. Parrotlets and lovebirds wouldn't be very good as they have a reputation for being nippy. I don't recommend budgies for kids, as you may know by my ranting thread :D

Thanks for some suggestions of larger birds! Do you not recommend budgied because kids are too rough?

Wings

Jun 14, 2013
Ohio
Parrots
Budgie, "Julie"
No, actually it is quite hard to explain. WHen a budgie screams, it is usually not recognized, and the budgie stops screaming. Then, as a resort, the bird starts to bite. Bites are usually not recognized and differentiated from "beaking". As you begin to ignore these, the bird becomes emotionally unstable. Becomes very flighty and are usually ignored. I say Regent parrot the most btw :D

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Of course like it's been mentioned, let the bird choose her, that would be the easier way to go.

One thing I forgot to mention about Lovebirds is they can be little terrorist attacking and picking on other birds, even your big birds. Especially if you allow the Lovebird to fly, they go after any bird and picks and picks at them none stop....That is something you should consider!

OP
Blancaej

Blancaej

Apr 5, 2013
Middlebury, VT
Parrots
Thank you again Wings & Mikey. This is all great advice!

OP
Blancaej

Blancaej

Apr 5, 2013
Middlebury, VT
Parrots
What do you guys think of mini macaws? I had an opportunity to adopt a 5 yr old yellow collard mini mavaw. The woman's 6 year old could play and handle her. It was 3 hours away and we were not ready yet. I read good things about these guys. I would only do a well socialized rehome if I ever got one since they are up there in price.

Also, what about a Pionus? I've read they are good birds around kids but know nothing about them. Anyone want to chime in?

IloveConures

Apr 26, 2013
Media
WV
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure- Mango, Cockatiel- Tango
I got my first cockatiel when I was 8. I think they would be a great choice

OP
Blancaej

Blancaej

Apr 5, 2013
Middlebury, VT
Parrots
IloveConures - Thanks! It seems that the cockatiel is definitely a bird I should look into! :D

Birdlover11

Aug 23, 2012
Long island
Parrots
Pepsi and sprite, both are American male budgies
Is she getting an adult or just weaned ? I think a weaned one will be better , did your daughters summer vacation start yet ? The two month period would be great to start training and getting used to the house.

haleybird

Mar 1, 2013
california
Parrots
someday very soon a hyacinth! :)
Your daughter must be so excited! I'm looking forward to hearing about which bird you guys decide on! :D

So I read your post last night, and I've been giving it some thought. Tiels are such great little companions, and they come in so many variations of color...the white ones remind me (kind of) of itty bitty toos. So cute.

Lorikeets are great little friends too...I got a chance to birdsit one for a few days, and that little fella was so sweet and friendly! The one I watched was a rainbow lory, but the red lorys are stunning, and from what I've read, really sweet little dudes too.

Pionus are lovely, I'm quite enamored with the bronze wing pionus myself, but I've never had a chance to meet one before.

I love the gcc, especially the pineapple or teal variant. I love their personality, and they are so stinkin' adorable! Sometimes I go onto youtube and watch videos of gcc because their antics are so entertaining, and you can tell they are just so full of life. I met the sweetest little pineapple gcc at a (not chain) petstore of all places...I felt so bad leaving it, we had a connection, and I wanted to take it home right then and there! It was adopted in less than 2 days, so hopefully it found an amazing forever home. I hope so.

Keep us posted on how it goes! :D I know you'll find just the right match!!

Last edited:
OP
Blancaej

Blancaej

Apr 5, 2013
Middlebury, VT
Parrots
Is she getting an adult or just weaned ? I think a weaned one will be better , did your daughters summer vacation start yet ? The two month period would be great to start training and getting used to the house.

Birdlover - Yes she has started but my candy store is super busy in the summer so we are opting to wait until Fall or early Winter but in 2013 for sure. Plus she is going to have to earn her bird by helping me with Quincy & Savannah. I figure if she does well, she will earn enough for her bird by fall.

I think I am going to get a just weaned baby for her. I think if we get it from the right breeder the temperament should be better if it's well socialized. I've thought about a rehome, but it would have to be an amazing rehome that connected to her immediately. I think our odds are better with a weaned baby. Thanks for the tips!

Your daughter must be so excited! I'm looking forward to hearing about which bird you guys decide on! :D

So I read your post last night, and I've been giving it some thought. Tiels are such great little companions, and they come in so many variations of color...the white ones remind me (kind of) of itty bitty toos. So cute.

Lorikeets are great little friends too...I got a chance to birdsit one for a few days, and that little fella was so sweet and friendly! The one I watched was a rainbow lory, but the red lorys are stunning, and from what I've read, really sweet little dudes too.

Pionus are lovely, I'm quite enamored with the bronze wing pionus myself, but I've never had a chance to meet one before.

I love the gcc, especially the pineapple or teal variant. I love their personality, and they are so stinkin' adorable! Sometimes I go onto youtube and watch videos of gcc because their antics are so entertaining, and you can tell they are just so full of life. I met the sweetest little pineapple gcc at a (not chain) petstore of all places...I felt so bad leaving it, we had a connection, and I wanted to take it home right then and there! It was adopted in less than 2 days, so hopefully it found an amazing forever home. I hope so.

Keep us posted on how it goes! :D I know you'll find just the right match!!

Haleybird - Yes, we are excited, too! I do like the color of the Lutino Tiel and I think that will appeal to her better, too. Definitely on the list!

I hadn't thought of Lorikeets. I will check them out. As for a Pionus, it was on the top 10 list for birds for kids when I did some searching online. So they may be a possibility. But may be out of the price range. We'll see!

The GCC has been mentioned a lot. So again, another great possibility on the top of the list!

I will definitely let you know once we decide! Thank you for the feedback!

Pugtato

Sep 16, 2012
Kentucky
Parrots
Marty-Jardine's Parrot

I would not get a Poi for a little girl, only because, in my experience, they can be MOODY and tightly bonded to a single person. My Senegal is a little love bug 99% of the time, but only to me. She will be nice to other people if I ask it of her, but it is obvious she is holding back the desire to rip them into shreds. She will also randomly have "off" days where she just wakes up on the wrong side of the perch. Yesterday was one of those days and from the second I uncovered her cage until I covered her again at night she was grumpy. Very nippy, belligerent, growl-y towards everyone but me, and quite the little stinker. Poi's can pack a punch and my Kippy has given me a few scars from when I first got her and we were figuring each other out. I would not suggest a Poi, though I adore them. But then again, if you manage to find a delightful little Poi that has a stellar personality, I would jump in head first. My bird is an AMAZING companion.

May I suggest buying an older bird if you go for something Poi or similarly sized? I got my Kippy at 3 years old and got to avoid all of the hormonal drama. When I bought her I knew something of her personality, which has been such a blessing. I honestly think that it would have broken my heart if I had bought a baby, only to have it become a little terror for a few months. I have a feeling that that may push a little girl away from her friend if all of a sudden her friend decides he is defensive of his cage or that he no longer likes being pet on the head. I know as a child that I took aggressiveness from my critters very personally, and I think that immunity to that comes with age and understanding.

If I were buying a bird for my child I would highly suggest a Cockatiel. Playing with them at the bird store has always been a treat and my 24 year old, big, tough, manly-man fiance (who dislikes my Senegal) adores them. You can't not love a good 'tiel!

If she is truly against getting a tiel, perhaps a Green Cheeked Conure? I am sure they are a bit nippier and a bit more to handle, but if you have a Macaw and a Grey they should be easy to adapt too and I see lots of people on the forum fawning over them! :yellow1:

OP
Blancaej

Blancaej

Apr 5, 2013
Middlebury, VT
Parrots
Pugtato - Thanks for the tips. I will definatley keep all that in mind. I think the only way I would consider a rehome is if it was very well socialized and my daughter was able to handle it day one. You never know what will turn up!

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
Pionus, YES!. they are awesome birds, my cousin owns one, and says it's very very gentle,& quiet.
I think someone on here mentioned they had a Pionus that was loud, so I think it depends on the bird.

OP
Blancaej

Blancaej

Apr 5, 2013
Middlebury, VT
Parrots
Thanks Crimson - it's nice to get an opinion on a Pionus! A friend of mine owns one. Maybe I will chat with her about it and see if my daughter can come see it.

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
I LOVE cockatiels, I don't really want one(I get cockatiel cuddle time from my friends birds lol) but I still adore them :D. They are general gentle birds, beautiful with their long tail and crest, and can be very loving. The crest and cheek feathers also makes them easier to read compared to non crested parrots.

Have you considered a parrotlet? I've never interacted with one, but I've been told they are great. They also come in many beautiful colors

69388_158367547527093_100000615454301_322913_1180957_n2.jpg

Also, here's my 8 year old niece(7 in the photo) holding Rosie during Christmas :)

414293_2664842277362_1363732894_o.jpg

Harlow

Mar 27, 2013
NW Phoenix AZ
Black Capped Conures can be a little difficult to find. We were able to put a deposit on ours after a short wait - I've toyed around with another one day but that'll be a ways off. :) They're such awesome birds.

OP
Blancaej

Blancaej

Apr 5, 2013
Middlebury, VT
Parrots
Copper - Thanks for the great pic of the parroletts. I am looking into them. They seem like sweet birds! Love the pic of your niece!

Harlow - I go down to NJ once or twice a year for a trade show and there is a breeder down there that I think has Black Capped Conures. If I recall correctly. Glad to hear your opinion of them! :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts