a LITTLE LESSON OFR ALL PET OWNERS

Parootty

Apr 7, 2021
There are times when you feel like you are doing everything, not a flaw in your dedication to your parrot. Today a very horrible thing happened to me. So I had left my two lovely 4 months ringnecks in the room, windows shut and all.It was raining hard. I went outside and so one of the windows was netted, one of them, My Beautiful Meenu, bit it and flew outside. I... we searched everywhere and then after an hour of searching, when the rain stopped we say her fly across in panick. Then the same happened the 2nd time. This time she landed on a wire and i called her, she saw me(I THINK) BUT FLEW AWAY. i HAVE BEEN CALLING HER FOR 2 hrs now, she hasn't come. In my country, it is common for people to catch birdsand then resell them. I am so worried. I now know what they meant when they said that when a child goes missing, its harder than losing one. She has been hungry for 5 hours now. PLz pray that she returns some. Meethu is so worried. I have put here faviourte food outside with their cage and meethu is there. Maybe she recognizes it and return home.I

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Oh no, Parootty!! I'm so very sorry to hear of the loss of Meenu!

The ParrotAlert webpage may be of use to you, I have linked it below......

It also has some terrific resources that might help you get the word out and retrieve Meenu, you can view them by clicking the link below...

And some more resources for you........

You can also make up old-fashioned paper flyers to alert your neighbourhood, I got an IRN back on the same day with this method many years ago. Alert local Facebook and/or community groups, pet shops, animal-related stores and local veterinary clinics - sometimes pet birds find a friendly human shoulder to land on and are handed in to a facility such as these that I've mentioned.

Don't give up hope! Birds have been returned to their owner months or even sometimes years after being lost. Sending every good wish and hope that Meenu is safely returned to you very soon!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
I dearly hope you can recover your beloved Meenu. Very sad to know people capture and resell parrots, is it possible to offer a reward greater than usual price?

Kitekeeper

Jun 19, 2021
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Parrots
Budgerigar (Bud), Pacific Parrotlet (Sam), Roseicollis lovebird (BJ and Turq), Linneolated parakeet (Charlie and Emma)
Oh Parooty, that´s so sad! :( :(

Unfortunately, this kind of thing happens, even with owners extremely careful as you.

Have you considered recording Meethu calling and put it to play repeatedly? This might give Meenu bearings where to go to find the sound source. Depending on the surroundings area you could take a bike ride with the record playing (I am assuming you are in a country area).

I hope she come back soon to you and Meethu.

OP
P

Parootty

Apr 7, 2021
My Meenu just flew away three days ago and I have seen her flying around and she seems to be extremely happy. So I have told myself maybe she was meant to be free, and be wild. Her partner Meethu is all alone and getting aggressive. I am playing with him, for the past two days, I didn't put him in his cage at all. Put him to sleep at night but now I need help. What should I do so he doesn't feel her absence. Getting a new parrot is hard since the breeding season is in March and April. We are desperately searching for a new parrot, but in the meantime, what should I do for him to keep him happy and not feel lonely. I am trying my best to stay with him, 24/7 but of course it isn't possible. I am not letting my sad emotions show and try my best to stay happy and joyful around him.

Kitekeeper

Jun 19, 2021
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Parrots
Budgerigar (Bud), Pacific Parrotlet (Sam), Roseicollis lovebird (BJ and Turq), Linneolated parakeet (Charlie and Emma)
I have seen her flying around and she seems to be extremely happy
That´s good!

Would you mind tell us where do you live? I believe your birds are Ring Neck parrots right? Unless you live in southern Asia, tropical Africa or in Europe (where some say there are RN parrots already introduced in the wild), letting Meenu free would have consequences for her.

Parrots are social birds and will try to adopt a flock of birds to live with. If there are free parrots (no matter the species) around your area, Meenu can have a good chance to survive as she will learn where and what to eat with them. Eventually she can even mate with a parrot from that other species.

However, if there are no free parrot flocks in you area, her chances are slim as she will not know where to go for food and water and may be really weak in a matter of one week. I remember capturing a poor escaped budgie that would not have the strength to fly anymore. The poor guy ate like there was no tomorrow when we got home.

Regarding Meethu, he still have you. Keep giving him attention but try not to spoil him. Social birds are prepared to live alone if they have to. Depression for loosing a partner can help, for partners with several years together however. If I remember well, your birds are still youngsters less than one year old. It is most likely that Meethu will be more receptive to you after some time. Nevertheless, I would try my best to recapture Meenu if there are no natural parrots flock around.

Last edited:
OP
P

Parootty

Apr 7, 2021
That´s good!

Would you mind tell us where do you live? I believe your birds are Ring Neck parrots right? Unless you live in southern Asia, tropical Africa or in Europe (where some say there are RN parrots already introduced in the wild), letting Meenu free would have consequences for her.

Parrots are social birds and will try to adopt a flock of birds to live with. If there are free parrots (no matter the species) around your area, Meenu can have a good chance to survive as she will learn where and what to eat with them. Eventually she can even mate with a parrot from that other species.

However, if there are no free parrot flocks in you area, her chances are slim as she will not know where to go for food and water and may be really weak in a matter of one week. I remember capturing a poor escaped budgie that would not have the strength to fly anymore. The poor guy ate like there was no tomorrow when we got home.

Regarding Meethu, he still have you. Keep giving him attention but try not to spoil him. Social birds are prepared to live alone if they have to. Depression for loosing a partner can help, for partners with several years together however. If I remember well, your birds are still youngsters less than one year old. It is most likely that Meethu will be more receptive to you after some time. Nevertheless, I would try my best to recapture Meenu if there are no natural parrots flock around.
Yes, they are parrots around. There is a flock of wild Indian rINGNECKS THAT LIVE HERE. We went searching and a really amazing Aunty told us that and they actually feed them too and they then showed me a baby ringneck's feather too. We will go to that area to search but If we don't find her, I know she'll be safe and happy and there is someone who will take care of her. We live in Asia, Pakistan. We will go searching for her and now we know the place. But at least my heart is very relaxed and at peace. Meethu is ummm enjoying himself a lot and seems to be very happy. It is almost like he is happy that Meenu is gone?? So thanks for the help.

Last edited:

Most Reactions