A lot of Green Cheeks being rehomed at 1-2 years old...

ikethedeviant

May 8, 2012
Binghamton, NY
Parrots
Zeppoli- Green Cheek Conure
I can't help noticing that a lot of green cheeks people are attempting to rehome in various ads throughout the internet are around the age of 1-2 years. Now since that age coincides with when they typically hit sexual maturity, I can't help wondering if perhaps that's the reason. Now Zeppy is my first bird, so I don't know how parrots generally get when the hormones kick in, but is it THAT bad? Is it so scary that people are willing to give them up? :52:

cdog

Feb 20, 2012
Newbury Park, CA
Parrots
Sully-2 year old cinnamon and Bella-3 year old normal
breeding pair of gcc, Scooter & BeeBee-Sully and Bella's normal son's, Rosey- Bella and Sully's cinnamon daughter, Ella & Sunny-American budgies
It depends, most parrot people just deal with it because they know it is just a phase but some people who bought the baby because they thought it was so cute and cuddly think when that baby starts acting aggressive it is because it is a mean bird and they would rather just give it away rather than just work through it. Which is sad because there is no reason that that baby should have been given away just because it reached maturity.
And it's not just green cheeks, it happens with a lot of species.

dishgal1

May 1, 2012
Texas
Parrots
Forrest -Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure, Nacho- Sun Conure
I agree Cdog.......another reason might be because they just grow tired of taking care of it. They don't feel an obligation to it maybe because they never interacted with it to the point of truly loving it. Probably just see it as a "bird in a cage". Very sad indeed.

Bobioden

Jun 27, 2011
Denver
Parrots
Maxx & Emma -Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conures (Male & Female)
I check Craigslist all the time and around Denver I rarely see a Green Cheek up for rehome. Now Sun Conures are another story. 90% of the birds I see on Craigslist are Sun Conures. The majority of the sellers claiming they have no time for the birds. But I bet the reason is they just didn't realize how loud they are.

A rescue facility close to me the Gabriel Foundation, NEVER has any Green Cheeks. Lots of Suns, along big Cockatoos, and Macaws.

daddylongnails

May 26, 2012
I see tons on green cheeks on Craig's where I live. South Florida. The one I adopted last month is 1 year old and came to me as the most ornery little effer but I'm working with him. Just a matter of time.

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
I see a lot of green cheeks, cockatoos, and many medium sized parrots online, it's sad that they say they're rehoming them but the rehoming price is the price of the bird. I feel like they say rehoming to make themselves feel better about selling a part of their family :(

OP
I

ikethedeviant

May 8, 2012
Binghamton, NY
Parrots
Zeppoli- Green Cheek Conure
It really is so sad to see...It's a shame to see how easily some people cop out...I feel totally overwhelmed by my little guy but I'm hanging in there (so far!) and I can't imagine ever giving up on him. He's got quite an attitude when it comes to my hand "invading" his cage and god forbid I try to reclaim my hair tie when he's playing with it -_- I am working on his possessiveness, I do stand my ground and make sure he knows that I make the rules xD I gotta admit though, even though Zepp is only a baby and I don't have to worry about it just yet, I am dreading the hormones after reading so many posts about peoples' snuggle bunnies turning into little feathered war machines when puberty hits. Eh, I'm all for a challenge...I was at war with my lhasa apso for the first 2 years I had him, yes 2 years of refusing any kind of discipline, retaliating with bites, and I mean bites that led to bruises and blood (any lhasa owners out there, I'm sure you know how stubborn these little fellas are!) but he's now 5 and a model citizen =) There's always hope.

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
Some people think because they are such a small bird they would be easily handled. They are difficult to manage at times, need to be the leader of the flock, nippy, bite, and very jealous of other birds. However, they have an adorable side of cuteness. GCC's are not birds for a person with limited bird experience. Now, if we could put a sign up in pet stores...............................

Last edited:

artemis

May 20, 2012
Nebraska
Parrots
Pepper, Sun Conure/
Echo, Green Cheek Conure/
Penelope Peanut, Maroon Bellied Conure
Sadly, a lot of people give up on their animal at the first sign of difficulty. Look at how many people dump their dogs and cats off at the animal shelter once the've grown out of the cute puppy/kitten stage. Like most animals, parrots are less submissive and less cuddly once they've grown up, and that often costs them their home. Some people should stick with a nice, plush doll!

KatherineI

Mar 27, 2012
Media
Seattle, WA
Parrots
Loki (GCC) Sugar (Goffins)
Maybe I'm mistaken, but I didn't think GCC's reached sexual maturity until around age 4?

I think a lot of people forget that, much like toddlers, birds also go through a "terrible two's" stage. In my opinion, that's a big factor in the rehoming of GCC's, that and all the things Spiritbird mentioned.

amysaviary

Dec 16, 2011
Chambersburg PA
Parrots
African Grey-Kenya
Blue and Gold- Baby
Jenday Conure- Izzy
Hahns Macaw- Derby
Cockatiel- Lemon
Senegal-Dylan

I breed, Sun, Green Cheek, Black Capped and Crimson Bellied Conures. Also IRN's
No KatherineI GCC r mature at 1. I have had pairs produce babies as young as 1(I wanted them to wait but they laid on the bottom of the cage so I gave them a box) Conures r 1-2, not all but some r at that age. Sun Conures r another that I know for a fact can produce at 1 also. Again I am NOT saying they should breed this young it is better to wait more to the 2 year mark but birds have a mind of their own sometimes!

KatherineI

Mar 27, 2012
Media
Seattle, WA
Parrots
No KatherineI GCC r mature at 1. I have had pairs produce babies as young as 1(I wanted them to wait but they laid on the bottom of the cage so I gave them a box) Conures r 1-2, not all but some r at that age. Sun Conures r another that I know for a fact can produce at 1 also. Again I am NOT saying they should breed this young it is better to wait more to the 2 year mark but birds have a mind of their own sometimes!

Then I guess all of Loki's behavioral issues previously can be chalked up to going through puberty? He turns 2 in August. I guess I thought they were similar to larger birds and didn't go through maturity until several years old. I never read anywhere that they mature as early as 1.

god61021

Aug 8, 2011
illinois
Parrots
red rumped parakeet
green cheek conures are the devil incarnate.!!! lol I just got bit by one of the little demons today at the pet store and it was being friendly. I'd hate to see what they are like when they are grouchy.
though my wife found the sweetest quaker in the world (another evil species) at the same pet store. it of course hated me but I have that affect on females.

KatherineI

Mar 27, 2012
Media
Seattle, WA
Parrots
green cheek conures are the devil incarnate.!!! lol I just got bit by one of the little demons today at the pet store and it was being friendly. I'd hate to see what they are like when they are grouchy.
though my wife found the sweetest quaker in the world (another evil species) at the same pet store. it of course hated me but I have that affect on females.

I'd take a GCC over many other species any day of the week! I don't think they're the devil at all!

Just like with other birds, or dog/cat breeds, some types are for some people and not for everyone. I can't stand chihuahua's, yet many people love them. I'd take a pitt bull any day, but others fear them. Just like many won't take Too's, but I adore them.

Techmom

Jun 26, 2013
My GCC Mozzie is only about 6 months old but went from playful snuggler with me to running away when I go by the cage. This just happened after my sons 6 year old birthday party Saturday, not even a week ago. I'm so sad. Took him to the vet and we ran the tests. He was fine except he got too stressed over a minimal exam. Vet was concerned. We'll find out today if its a medical issue.

I think that if people are rehoming their birds it's because of 2 things: 1. It is heartbreaking when an animal you loves suddenly seems to turn on you. It's hard not to take it personally. I'm an adult but I'm consumed by wanting to fix it and I don't know how. That leads me to #2: what do we do? Birds are so unique in their behavior we cannot use the same behavior modeling techniques we use for dogs, cats or even our children. Scolding is forbidden. How frustrating would it be to not be able to scold your children when they are behaving badly?! I can see how people would see their bird as demonic and mean. Add that to the noise factor and the unknown timeframe til the bird settles back down and I can see why people rehome them. It is sad but maybe if there was a bird whisperer out there who could help parents of fids that would help. That with more knowledge about what to expect in the future with their bird. My breeder told me they get nippy but never told me about the terrible twos. And my bird isn't even 1!

SoCalWendy

Jun 29, 2013
Kihei, Hawaii
Parrots
None at the moment
I copped out many many years ago with a Myers that I finished weaning. It's been a really long time. And I did come to realize that I gave up way too soon. I regret that so much. I'm in it now....

JasmineGCC

Oct 4, 2012
England
Parrots
Jasmine my pineapple green cheeked conure, hatched 17 April 2012
My GCC jasmine hit puberty at just under year old. She turned almost overnight from a gentle snuggle bunny to an aggressive unpredictable biting horror. I tried not to take it personally, wore tops where I could cover my hands (stop the blood draw) and weathered the storm. I never ever 'took the bite' as some people recommend.

Now she is 15 months and is now much calmer, less aggressive and she is fine with hands again and snuggles into my neck. However she no longer allows me to stroke her - an occasional head scritch is enjoyed and she gently preens my neck and hair.

She is a girl who knows what she wants so I've learnt to read her body language and respect her if she doesn't l want a scratch or snuggle. I still love her to bits and when she does want a stroke she'll let me know - damn near shoves herself into my hand - and then it's a special moment for us.

Hope this helps

kq_fan

Jun 26, 2013
Media
Seattle, Washington
Parrots
Lilo - Female Green Cheek Conure ~ Pal - male cockatiel ~ Pheobe - female cockatiel
I got my GCC at the pound and he was only $15. The people said that the original owners had to get rid of him ASAP! Now I don't know how old he is or even if he is a boy! He didn't come with anything, not even a traveling cage! He is very nippy, but I don't know what a hormonal stage looks like so I don't know if he is going through that or not but during spring time was hectic!

legal_eagle

Banned
Banned
Feb 28, 2013
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure Pee-Wee
I have to think that people who give up a bird when it becomes less "nice" to them often have unrealistic expectations in the first place. Or maybe they haven't noticed that every baby animal is docile. Why else would they not just roll with the changes that are inherent in owning a living creature? There's a difference between an animal becoming wildly out of control and dangerous, and one that is just more assertive that when it was young. IMO, being accepting and respectful of a bird's individual temperament, and its right to express that temperament, is the key to a long and healthy relationship.

Peanutsmum

Jan 23, 2013
Devon, UK
Parrots
GCC Peanut Male hatched 19/10/12
Deffo not just coures! I had a cockatiel years ago and he had the hormonal stage of random attacks but we worked though it. Only lasted a few months

Most Reactions

Latest posts