A new fid?....I need some AG help!

schristensen13

Oct 6, 2010
Chico, CA
Parrots
Meyers (Kevin) and CAG (Mariah)
I was looking through the pet section of CL earlier today and saw an ad for a CAG. (There is not ever a particular reason to peruse CL besides the fact that I love to look at the pet ads....I may need a 12 step program for this).....
Anyway, there is a 16 year old CAG listed by a retired couple who are looking to rehome her because they would like to travel more. I e-mailed the owner and she (Mariah) is still available for a very reasonable rehoming fee (cage included). CAGs have always been my dream bird....always....
I currently have a 7 month old Meyers (Kevin) who is a great little bird. I am also pretty sure that my husband would encourage me to get this bird if I really wanted her.
I know that CAGs need a lot of stimulation, can be loud (what bird isn't?), and shed a lot of dander, but am I crazy for adding another parrot to the family?
For all of those AG owners out there, please tell me the top 3 reasons to own one....also, please tell me the top 3 concerns I should be taking into consideration.

Thanks!

Chris Winkler

Oct 8, 2010
Media
NW Pennsylvania
Parrots
Echo TAG,
Kodak Wt Face Tiel &
Tobi Male Ekkie
They are by far the smartest pet you will ever own. Taking an older bird will take time an patients. Since it's on craigs list I would suggest you verify that this is not a scam. Can you go see her before commiting?

greycloud

Mar 21, 2010
Baltimore, MD
Parrots
Sammy-Umbrella Too-rescued,
Dexter-CAG-rehomed handicapped,
Sterling-CAG-rehomed retired breeder.
Sunshine-12 yo CAG-adopted
I have 3 CAGs! They are my all time favorite species and I bred parrots for 15 years. They are truly magical, have unbelievably communication and talking abilities, most are not obsessively loud. They do shed a bit of dander but baths and an airfilter really help. They are a joy to own!.

OP
S

schristensen13

Oct 6, 2010
Chico, CA
Parrots
This is the ad on CL...the bird is located in a town approximately 20 min. from me so meeting her is definitely the next step. There are pictures with this ad as well and she appears to be well taken care of and have an appropriately sized cage. (Not that I put complete stock in pictures but they aren't a couple of random web photos put up just for appearance). Like I said before, a Grey has always been my dream bird, and although I wasn't necessarily looking to add to our family....this might be a pretty good fit.

"16 year old female Congo African gray parrot. Her name is Mariah. She talks like crazy but does not cuss. She loves to cuddle up under your chin and ride on your shoulder. She does not like little kids but teenagers are o.k.
She will bite if you put your hand in her cage because parrots are territorial of their cages She is trained to step up on a stick and then to your hand. She comes with a California cage, perch, toys, food etc. We are rehoming her because we are retired and want to travel and she needs more attention then we have to give. E-mail for rehoming fee. Serious inquiries only please. Thanks for looking."

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
Sounds like a good opportunity for you to get one of the best parrots there are in the entire world. I love all the African birds. Since you have a Meyers the two of them may get along. Reason #1 to have a CAG - their intelect #2 Sweetness of personality and #3 is simple joy they will give you

OP
S

schristensen13

Oct 6, 2010
Chico, CA
Parrots
Going to meet Mariah tonight...she sounds like a doll (her mom and I talked on the phone for over a half hour). Mariah has been a part of their family since she was a baby ...very difficult decision to make, but they have a son in Germany who they want to visit for extended periods of time and she just doesn't think it would be fair to Mariah to leave her with other people. They are also in no rush to rehome her which will be good so her and I can get to know each other a bit before she (possibly) comes home with us. My poor husband is such a trooper!!

ann

Feb 18, 2011
USA
Parrots
1 nanday conure Black Jack, 1 Brotogeris parakeet Whiff, 1 ring neck dove Eliza, and 6 society finches (3 are tame). RIP my parent pairs of societies and my little gouldian finches
hi! i think you should visit him a few times so he gets to know you before you take him home. good luck and may he bring you joy for many years to come! go for it, you'll wonder how why you didnt get him sooner! :) (im only 14 and dont own any birds but spend my free time learning about them so im not an owner but can tell you'll be a great one!)

jew1187

Jan 1, 2011
Currently in Rocky Mount VA, Phoenix in May.
Parrots
3 Parakeets, Jaiden, Topaz and Peridot. Baby boy, Skyler, Eclectus.
hi! i think you should visit him a few times so he gets to know you before you take him home. good luck and may he bring you joy for many years to come! go for it, you'll wonder how why you didnt get him sooner! :) (im only 14 and dont own any birds but spend my free time learning about them so im not an owner but can tell you'll be a great one!)

I agree, go for it. See if you can go visit a couple times and let him get to know you. Good luck!!!

OP
S

schristensen13

Oct 6, 2010
Chico, CA
Parrots
Met Miss Mariah this evening and she is a sweetie....shy as to be expected with new people gawking at her but eventually warmed up enough to step up on my hand for a minute or so. Just took my time with her, I'm not in any rush to speed up the bonding process...trust takes time.
She was pretty quiet as well, which her owners assured me was just because of the new people...they said the minute we walked out the door, she would be her babbling self. Very nice people who just don't feel like they have the time for her anymore....
Barring any major issues, I think we are going to go for it. I wasn't necessarily "bird shopping" when I saw the ad so there is no money saved up in advance. I asked if there was no one else interested, if I could pay her adoption fees over a bit of time and they said that was fine. Which will be nice because I will most definitely visit with her to hopefully help the transition to our home....
She does have a bit of a scissor beak that will need to be maintained and trimmed. I have seen birds with this before but have never owned one so any information anyone has to pass along would be great.

EvieWg

Feb 17, 2011
Media
Rochester, NY
Parrots
Dusky Pionus
I love AG's... but only when they are not mine ;) haha... my parents have one, and I love the bird... I think the best word to describe him is: Clingy. They are so sweet and SO SMART, but definitely need to be taught how to entertain themselves.

For example, my parents have a B&G and the Grey (they're both like 25 years old, so old men basically). The B&G is cage free, he has a tree that he spends all his time on and he's fine just hanging out there watching things go by. If he wants you or attention, he'll call you over. The Grey on the other hand can't be cage free because he learned a long time ago to fly down or climb down and find the humans (and get into trouble).

Oh, and the grey hates heaters in the winter. He'll pull all his chest feathers out the first time the furnace is turned on and stops as soon as it gets warm!

HRH Di

Jan 9, 2010
Media
McKinney, TX
Parrots
Max - Alexandrine, Jade - Red-Front Macaw, Ruby - CAG
You got some very good advice above and I don't have any to add.

Greys were always my dream bird and I'm so glad I found my Ruby. There's nothing like her soft little gray head nestled just behind my year and listening to her sweet little voice saying "ooOOOooo" when I pet her. She is easily the quietest of our 3 birds.

And just like children, when you go from 1 parrot to 2 parrots, the work doesn't double, it quadruples.

OP
S

schristensen13

Oct 6, 2010
Chico, CA
Parrots
:D:D:D Hee, hee.....see message below....looks like I will be posting pictures of Mariah sooner than I thought :D:D:D

"After meeting you and your family, we decided you're exactly what we were looking for to adopt Mariah. After watching you interact with her, it is obvious you are a real bird lover and will appreciate Mariah and all she has to offer. You would be welcome to make a down payment(whatever you are comfortable with) and take Mariah home with you. I'm sure we can come up with a payment plan that will work for you. Our main desire was to find her a great home. I feel we have. Let us know"

Thanks for everyone's information and encouragement to take this big step....it all happened fast but I think things like this usually happen for a reason.

Most Reactions

Latest posts