A question on re-homed cage...

Giggleagain

Jul 5, 2014
Media
Missouri
Parrots
All my rescues: Pepita, Rocky and Eva, my Quaker Parrots Clover and Sweet Pea, YNA Willie Buttons, and TAG Coca.
My neighbor is giving away a big wire cage they used to house a squirrel. The cage is in good condition and I would like to use it as an outside cage for my quakers.

They would not spend a lot of time in it, just while sunning and for drying off after a bath.

Would this cage be safe if thoroughly disinfected, or is the fact that a rodent lived in it enough to cause problems for my fids?

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
I would be afraid to use it. Even if you could safely clean and sanitize the cage, I would be worried about the cage itself. According to the kind of wire used for the cage, there's the possibility of zinc poisoning.

June2012

Apr 12, 2015
Southern California
Parrots
Still on that mission, but looking for my mushy! <3
I would be afraid to use it. Even if you could safely clean and sanitize the cage, I would be worried about the cage itself. According to the kind of wire used for the cage, there's the possibility of zinc poisoning.

Agreed. Parrots are very mouthy and LITERALLY use their beaks as a third hand, often helping them climb the sides of a cage. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't see squirrels doing that, or any rodent for that matter. They tend to use the four legs and feet that they already have.

Of course, if the materials used to make the cage are parrot safe, I don't think it'd be that much of an issue. :)

Rockford

Mar 2, 2014
USA
If it's a commercially made small animal cage for rabbits, ferrets, guinea pigs, etc, it's no different than any other wire cage made for birds. Bleach the heck out of it and use it.

Most Reactions

Latest posts