Accidentally closed door on my parakeet

Aug 17, 2022
Parrots
Parakeet, Quaker parrot
Hey folks, just wanna share something that happens this morning.

A few hours ago, I took my parakeets out into a small sunroom so that they could fly around. But this particular parakeet's name is Clyde. After I got all of the parakeets out of their cage and into the sunroom, I left the room and closed the door, unaware that Clyde was at the top of the door. I never saw her fly up there in the first place. Once I closed the door, I heard a loud crack. I looked up and noticed she was up there. My heart practically sank. She fell down into my hands and it seemed like she was having a seizure and blood was coming out of her nostrils. Not even 15 seconds went by before she passed away. I examined her and I saw that her beak was broken and dislocated. I was shaking just by looking at the condition she was in. I didn’t do it on purpose. I never wanted to hurt her. If I knew she was on the door ledge, then I wouldn’t have shut the door. I hate that I’m the cause of her death and I don’t think I’ll ever be able to forgive myself for killing her.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)

A few hours ago, I took my parakeets out into a small sunroom so that they could fly around. But this particular parakeet's name is Clyde. After I got all of the parakeets out of their cage and into the sunroom, I left the room and closed the door, unaware that Clyde was at the top of the door. I never saw her fly up there in the first place. Once I closed the door, I heard a loud crack. I looked up and noticed she was up there. My heart practically sank. She fell down into my hands and it seemed like she was having a seizure and blood was coming out of her nostrils. Not even 15 seconds went by before she passed away. I examined her and I saw that her beak was broken and dislocated. I was shaking just by looking at the condition she was in. I didn’t do it on purpose. I never wanted to hurt her. If I knew she was on the door ledge, then I wouldn’t have shut the door. I hate that I’m the cause of her death and I don’t think I’ll ever be able to forgive myself for killing her.
Welcome to the forums to you @EngineerGaming, but I'm so terribly sorry for the dreadful accident that brought you here. I'm so very sorry for your loss of Clyde πŸ’” It's clear from the way you write about her how much she was loved, and I think she would be the first to say that she knows how much you cherished her, that you would never intentionally harm her, and she would not want you to blame yourself for this awful accident. Please accept my sincere condolences and many feathered hugs - you are among friends here and we understand how deeply the loss of our precious feathered babies hurts, whatever the circumstances, and I'm so glad you found us ❀️

Godspeed to the Rainbow Bridge, sweet little Clyde, until we all meet again. πŸ™πŸŒˆ

Chrissiejingles

Nov 21, 2019
ENGLAND
Parrots
Mr Jingles OWA.....RIP
I'm so sorry for your loss.
It is clear that it was an awful accident and that you loved Clyde very, very much. You were thinking of your birds happiness when you put them into the sunroom. Nobody can stop accidents from happening...it was not your fault.
Please..when your guilt is at it's worst, please remember that you gave her a good life. She would not want you to blame yourself as she knew how much you loved her.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
You have my sympathy too, friend. You know this is the second time this particular deadly accident has been reported here on Parrotforums in the last few months. Folks who let their parrots free range of the house should take heed - especially difficult when you have a flock of the littles. Rest easy, Clyde.

MykaMom

Aug 24, 2019
Illinois
Parrots
Yellow Nape Amazon
Chickens

Oh, what an awful accident. I'm so sorry this happened to Clyde and you.

Accidents happen. Please work on forgiving yourself. Her sweet spirit is flying high and free, feeling no pain.

πŸ˜žπŸ˜­πŸ’ž

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I'm so very sorry for you loss of Clyde. Please try not to blame yourself, accidents happen, and I know that Clyde knew how much you loved her.
Fly free, Sweet Clyde, you will be forever loved and missed.

Birdfriendly

Aug 6, 2023
Texas
Parrots
2 year old green parakeet named Byrdie.

I'm so sorry about Clyde. I am new to budgies and came here to seek an answer. Your post is the first I read. Because you had the courage to share, you probably saved the lives of many other birds! I would not have thought to look there before leaving. Now I certainly will. Thank you for helping me and many others. May your heart find peace.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.

Of COURSE you didn't do this on purpose! Of COURSE not! You loved her and she knew you did. She died quickly and did not suffer. I understand. I would feel horrible too if this happened to me. I'm so paranoid about things like doors and windows like only a bird tower can understand but accidents happen. Mistakes in judgment happen too. Almost 40 years ago I had a beautiful young budgie with clipped wings (not by me) drown in a bucket of water I had left next to the cage when I wasn't home and the cage door was open. I still cringe when I think about it. But trust me, it does get easier. You MUST forgive yourself. Us humans mean well but we make mistakes. My heart goes out to you. Try to remember the good times you had with Clyde as you grieve, but cry as much as you need to for as long as you need to. Don't let anyone judge you for your grief. But please try to forgive yourself.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Of COURSE you didn't do this on purpose! Of COURSE not! You loved her and she knew you did. She died quickly and did not suffer. I understand. I would feel horrible too if this happened to me. I'm so paranoid about things like doors and windows like only a bird tower can understand but accidents happen. Mistakes in judgment happen too. Almost 40 years ago I had a beautiful young budgie with clipped wings (not by me) drown in a bucket of water I had left next to the cage when I wasn't home and the cage door was open. I still cringe when I think about it. But trust me, it does get easier. You MUST forgive yourself. Us humans mean well but we make mistakes. My heart goes out to you. Try to remember the good times you had with Clyde as you grieve, but cry as much as you need to for as long as you need to. Don't let anyone judge you for your grief. But please try to forgive yourself.
I did not realize this thread was a year old (presumably neither did @Birdfriendly). I hope OP dealt with their grief.
My written words, though untimely for the OP, still ring true for all of us who have done something that caused one of our birds to die a violent death. It's one thing when one of our beloved birds gets sick and dies- when we do something that actually causes their death the loss and grief take on even bigger dimensions because you add in extreme guilt that eats at you unless you can make peace with it. So, in this sense, my untimely response was not really untimely at all. Accidents like this happen more often than we like to admit, and they can happen to anyone.

Most Reactions

Latest posts