Adding a Family Member

Moon and Spruce

Aug 21, 2022
Parrots
Shyloh Moon and Everest Spruce
Hi everyone! This is my first post and first forum ever. I look forward to being a part of the community.

Here's my situation- I have 2 sweet parakeets, Shyloh Moon and Everest Spruce. They used to be fine with hands but now they won't go near them, however they will hand feed time to time. The reason they are nervous about hands now is because I took them to the vet and they were grabbed and now scarred. I've lost my dog recently and am not ready for a new one so I've been thinking about adding a new budgie to the family. However, I am worried that my current 2 will make the new 1 also afraid of hands and I would be so upset. Does anyone think this would happen?

Thanks in advance!

-Alicia

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
Hi everyone! This is my first post and first forum ever. I look forward to being a part of the community.

Here's my situation- I have 2 sweet parakeets, Shyloh Moon and Everest Spruce. They used to be fine with hands but now they won't go near them, however they will hand feed time to time. The reason they are nervous about hands now is because I took them to the vet and they were grabbed and now scarred. I've lost my dog recently and am not ready for a new one so I've been thinking about adding a new budgie to the family. However, I am worried that my current 2 will make the new 1 also afraid of hands and I would be so upset. Does anyone think this would happen?

Thanks in advance!

-Alicia
Budgies should generally be kept in even numbers. In odd numbers, one budgie is often left out. It's also best to have an even number of males and females, or all males. Also, a friendly reminder to quarantine all new birds!

OP
M

Moon and Spruce

Aug 21, 2022
Parrots
Budgies should generally be kept in even numbers. In odd numbers, one budgie is often left out. It's also best to have an even number of males and females, or all males. Also, a friendly reminder to quarantine all new birds!
That is what I've read so if I do get another it would probably be 2 and I've done the quarantining before when I lost one. 😞 I just am unsure about the hand thing and would hate for them to be influenced into being scared. Thanks for taking the time to write me. πŸ˜€

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
That is what I've read so if I do get another it would probably be 2 and I've done the quarantining before when I lost one. 😞 I just am unsure about the hand thing and would hate for them to be influenced into being scared. Thanks for taking the time to write me. πŸ˜€
Budgie taming takes some time, but from experience I can say that once they're tamed they NEVER leave you alone! Plus they're such cute little fluffernutters ❀️

OP
M

Moon and Spruce

Aug 21, 2022
Parrots
Budgie taming takes some time, but from experience I can say that once they're tamed they NEVER leave you alone! Plus they're such cute little fluffernutters ❀️
I've had my lil ones over 3 years and the vet visit definitely changed them. I read it could. Ugh! I just don't want potentially new budgies to see my older ones move away and also become scared. 🀞

They are the stinkin' cutest! My tooties! My tweethearts!

Most Reactions