Adopting 12 year old VOS Ekkkie..not new to them but do you ?'s

loverofbirds

Aug 19, 2010
new hampshire
Parrots
Rainbow Lorikeet(my pet i hand raised) cockatiel(hubby's pet that talks A LOT)....many other in an aviary that I breed with my SIL at her house
Hello everyone. I am a new member :) I am a bird breeder. Currently all of the breeding birds are with my sister in law (also business partner) at her house. I had moved to a smaller house and could no longer have a master room for the aviary. Arraignments now are that I hand raise the babies :)

I have one pet bird, a rainbow lorikeet (blue mountain) that i hand raised..he's awesome. Newest trick "dance" love it, he talks a lot as well! He is 9 months old. Hubby has a pet cockatiel that talks up a storm.

Anyways, I have taken care of two sick female Ekkies before(IF YOU want to go right to the ekkie questions with out reading go to next paragraph), so I know all about their diet and behavior etc.One that was a "plucker" 9 years old that was deemed to NEVER be cure since all shop owners and personal owners never could fix it for years. I did in one month! Gave it back to the shop told them what to do. The other was unknown age came from living in a cage with amazon and a heavier smoker in the house. Unsure of her condition I had her and 1 week in she had a grand mal siezure. Took me one month and for her to recover and then she was given to the person that took her away from that.

NOW...I am getting as a pet this time, a 12 year old Vos ekkie. She had one previous owner that hated her(the owner). The owner NOW has no time, Ruby (this birds name) likes only females. Currently she is being feed the proper way, 3 hours out of cage time but only 30 minutes owner time. She loves to snuggle with her owner on her lap and try to eat from her. (they got her from mother in law who was to ill, bird never liked her prob b/c her hands shook to much and Ruby couldn't get a grip) this has Ruby not really liking swings, step up on your fingers and staying.

My questions are strickly based on...what to expect taking her giving her situation. She is coming with her cage. Apparently she has no problems with new females holding her at her house she is at now...non of my other ekkies had a problem with me holding them, i ASSUME, this will be the case? Her age...never dealt with an Ekkie that old, 12 years old..... anything special I should know?(biggest question of all is that) She was housed near an Afrigan grey, which brings another question. She will be in the area as my cockatiel and Rainbow Lorikeet (Loriekeet gets loud sometimes with me cause if i walk by and don't talk he screams or if someone new comes..yeah, he can get loud with strangers)
Ruby is already use to small kids, YEAH! cause i have 3 of them. Will she be fine with this? Or is this something she's going to need to get use to? All over again?
Thank you so much in advance....I am getting her Sunday...I can't wait!!!!
Megan

Bobby34231

Jun 25, 2010
Media
Albums
Sarasota,Florida
Parrots
Quincy - Blue Throated Macaw, Skittles and Dusty - Rose Breasted Too's,
Joey - Yellow Crown Amazon, Ashley - CAG
Hi Megan and welcome to the forum, I'm afraid that the questions you've asked can't really be answered with any certainty untill they actually happen, it sounds as though the bird is friendly enough and fairly well socialized, but with a change in enviornmrnt and being placed with new people and birds things may change, its hard to say, so on that part time will tell, since you hand feed babies and have birds of your own in the home I'm hoping that you are planing on getting a thorough avian vet check and are going to do a proper quarantine of the new Ekkie(there have been a few threads lately on quarantine so I won't drag it out in this thread, you can search and read them on here), unfortunatly there have been a few losses of birds lately from not quarantining :(, so it is a very real and serious consideration....I wish you the best with your new fid (fid=feathered kid) :) enjoy your stay.

Last edited:

Mel

Mar 30, 2010
Media
Sydney Australia
Parrots
Eclectus - Shadow /
Sulfur Crested - Chicka
Hi Megan, welcome the the forum. AS Bobby said it's hard to say how she'll cope until you have her in your home. Like any new bird be patient and don't stress if she's unsettled or bonding doen't occur straight away. I think given your history I'd imagine she'll be fine. Well done for giving her a second (or should I say third) chance

Most Reactions