Adopting Military Macaw Special Needs

chadwick

Nov 7, 2011
Parrots
Yellow Collared Macaw
I'm thinking about seriously adopting... a military macaw....the guy's wife had an aneurism and she can no longer take care of him...they said that as a baby they took him to the vet because he had pneumonia well they put a heat lamp in his cage and since he was on a lot of drugs he fells right into the lamp and as a result he can no longer see out of one eye...gentlemen said that nobody will adopt him because of this...very sad story though

SandyBee

Oct 5, 2012
Coquitlam BC, Canada
Parrots
DYH Amazon-Rescue- Bosley (36),
African Brown head-Rescue- August(9)
Awww, that is a sad story, I would adopt him in a heartbeat if we got along.
Good Luck

OP
chadwick

chadwick

Nov 7, 2011
Parrots
Yellow Collared Macaw
Yes, that's the think i'm going to make sure he's comfortable with me and I think it's a good match..it's a 2 hour drive..So wil be going to look at him this weekend sometime

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
THANK YOU for considering this angel!!!! I wish you ALL the luck in the world, mostly that the two of you hit it right off. :)

Sc0tt

Nov 18, 2012
Indiana
Parrots
Red Throated Conure - Casper | American Budgie - Zeus (R.I.P)
One eye is gone? Good thing most birds can see 8-10x better than humans, so he's still got something on us!

Hardly a handicap, hope this guy gets a great home with you!

OP
chadwick

chadwick

Nov 7, 2011
Parrots
Yellow Collared Macaw
I most definitely will give him good home if we hit it off the guy wants him to go with someone he feels the bird can bond too...bird is well taken care of and in great feather fed three pellets Harrison's, roudybush, along with tops, very expensive goldenfeast blend.. And fruits and veggies...the guy said not one person other than me knew what a proper macaw diet consisted of

OP
chadwick

chadwick

Nov 7, 2011
Parrots
Yellow Collared Macaw
Well I adopted sarge the military my friend has been coming over a lot and has bonded to her...so my friend with alot bird experience will be giving sarge a good home...I previously said the bird was well taken care of well I thought he was by owners description stating he was on three pellets ...which is not the case I got there and he had three different types of crackers and a Walmart brand seed mix.in his bowl..and he was not in good feathering...feathering seems to be improving by the day..

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
personally I don't see what the issue is, now that you know what the bird is being fed, surely you would continue that...

in other words~~ don't fix it if it ain't broke..

OP
chadwick

chadwick

Nov 7, 2011
Parrots
Yellow Collared Macaw
The issue is that crackers full of salt and a Walmart brand seed mix is an awful diet would never continue that...we've come along way in bird nutrition and that diet isnt close to being acceptable and since changing it drastic improvements in feathering

Last edited:

GaryBV

Nov 2, 2013
Southwestern Pennsylvania
Parrots
Pacific Parrotlets - green Beanieboy and blue Skya;
Fischer Lovebirds - Mariposa and Papillon
Chad I'm so glad you adoped the birds and that you have educated yourself on a proper diet for it. I see that you already have quite the flock.

OP
chadwick

chadwick

Nov 7, 2011
Parrots
Yellow Collared Macaw
Yes I do and have a routine schedule each gets there attention everyday..I'm at my limit wouldn't be able to properly care for anymore...Thank you gary for nice comment

Most Reactions

Latest posts