Attacking cage

chipper62

Oct 26, 2013
Parrots
Blue and Gold Macaw
I posted earlier about my rescued B&G, Cotton. I'm trying to help this poor boy out the best I can. So a quick review. I got him from someone with no bird experiance, he was in a tiny cage, he is supposedly 7 years old, and he plucks.
Now on with his new problem. He has started attacking his cage.... seriously. He will grab a hold of the bars and pull and shake his head. He will puff up and start hissing at it, not at the toys, just the bars of the cage itself. When I went and checked on him the first time I opened up the cage thinking he was wanting out, I make sure he is in at night. But he refused to come out, even when I walked away. He also went after me, but he is too scared of people to get close enough to bite, unless I have popaya.
It was in the middle of the night so he couldn't see anything out the window because I close it at night. I can not think of anything that could have started this. I'm just kinda taking his issues one at a time because of where he came from I'm sure there will be plenty more. Thank you for any tips you might have! I'm just trying to help him be the silly bird that keeps trying to come out!

nyspy

Nov 5, 2013
Parrots
Pretty Birdy (BG Macaw)
Duke (BG Macaw)
pretty-birdy-perch-day
He is tortured. He hates cages. He's terrified and unsure. Believe it or not, this birdy would do very well in a cageless environment. A raised perch / playstand in a corner with a window to look out of. The biting, aggression, and fear would almost immediately stop.. (well, the biting and aggression would. The fear would be something that would start to allay over a few days).

Birds that terrified and aggressive towards cages will normally stay on their perches when taken to a cageless environment. They're very non-destructive.

Here's how I did it / do it. http://mymacaw.swimminginthought.com/pretty-birdy-perch-day/

Cheers.

Last edited:

Sc0tt

Nov 18, 2012
Indiana
Parrots
Red Throated Conure - Casper | American Budgie - Zeus (R.I.P)
First off, props on you for rescuing him. Definitely worth trying to go cageless. The comment by nyspy is very good, I've been told that before about birds with cage aggression (especially with bigger species like Macaws). Try a perch outside of the cage and see what happens!

SoCalWendy

Jun 29, 2013
Kihei, Hawaii
Parrots
None at the moment
He is tortured. He hates cages. He's terrified and unsure. Believe it or not, this birdy would do very well in a cageless environment. A raised perch / playstand in a corner with a window to look out of. The biting, aggression, and fear would almost immediately stop.. (well, the biting and aggression would. The fear would be something that would start to allay over a few days).

Birds that terrified and aggressive towards cages will normally stay on their perches when taken to a cageless environment. They're very non-destructive.

Ahh that's so sad. Great advise!

nyspy

Nov 5, 2013
Parrots
Pretty Birdy (BG Macaw)
Duke (BG Macaw)
I've always done the cageless thing. From personal experience, I've never had a bird climb down and tear things up. They're usually too shocked and confused to do anything other than enjoy it. Just remember to pull the drapes at night so they feel a bit safer.

This has worked successfully with Cockatoos, Macaws, and Greys.

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
I'm trying to imaging cageless caiques and the chaos that would ensue ;-)

Last edited:

nyspy

Nov 5, 2013
Parrots
Pretty Birdy (BG Macaw)
Duke (BG Macaw)
It would be entertaining on youtube.. Feel free to make one!

jugoya

Mar 7, 2013
Shreveport, La USA
Parrots
Porter (Broto); Fuggles(Budgie)
Try going Cageless just like everyone else said.

If you are afraid of destruction while you are gone.. make the perch a rolling one; and move it to a small quiet room; and shut the birdie in to feel a little safer about it.

If you have a small spare bedroom.. I'd say set it up as his if you can afford to.. no cage just stands and make it 'His' room for when you aren't at home.
No bars.. means no fear from him...

cstambaugh

Nov 3, 2013
Parrots
Zeus - Greenwing
Zeus went cageless yesterday, I'm already seeing a huge aggression difference. He wouldn't bite me, or his cage, but over the past couple of weeks, he was getting more and more protective cage aggressive. If you put your hand inside his cage, he would definitely give you some beak. God forbid you touched a toy.
All of that is gone

20131121_214640_zpsa1820703.jpg

nyspy

Nov 5, 2013
Parrots
Pretty Birdy (BG Macaw)
Duke (BG Macaw)
I can't get over how beautiful he is.

Most Reactions