Adult female? Eyes don't show whites?

Dec 9, 2021
Media
Parrots
Moon the budgie (M, 2y.o)
Silvia the budgie (F, 1/2y.o)
It's spelled Silvia not Sylvia
Hello, as some of you may have seen my entry in the December POTM contest entry, Silvia's (And yes it is spelled w/ an "I" instead of "Sylvia"- we though she was a male at first and named her Silver) eyes are black, like a baby birds'. But I've had her for a little over a year now, and her eyes are not showing the whites, like Moon's. I think this is because maybe her mom was an Albino? With Albinos it is hard to tell if there are whites in their eyes or not, because their eyes are red. But female budgies normally have the whites around 4-6 months of age. I can't tell if there's just an Albino in her genes or if it's something else. Any thoughts?

1640486866613.png

Kitekeeper

Jun 19, 2021
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Parrots
Budgerigar (Bud), Pacific Parrotlet (Sam), Roseicollis lovebird (BJ and Turq), Linneolated parakeet (Charlie and Emma)
Recessive pied budgies (which yours is) do not get white eye rings as adults, nor do males get blue ceres
As always, right on spot, StormyPica! :D :D

I would add another mutation on her, she is also a golden face as we can see a stronger shade of yellow in the forehead, neck and chest.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
My Cloudy is a male pied with pink cere

I love her golden hue, such a pretty girl

OP
Moon-And-Silvia
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Parrots
Recessive pied budgies (which yours is) do not get white eye rings as adults, nor do males get blue ceres
So you're saying she could be a male?? How do I tell the difference?
EDIT: I remember going to the vet for Moon when he had worms, and the vet said that he was male (I had thought he was female at the time) because females and males have different ways of biting things. Males just bite down hard, whereas females bite down and grind their low beak. Are there other was to tell the difference?

OP
Moon-And-Silvia
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Parrots
I think female. You can another pic that shower cere better. But if cere gets crusty is female
Thus is my male, his cere gets deep pink during hormones , the picture isn't showing how pink in person
View attachment 33541
Her cere is a little crusty and flaky, but we just thought that's because when we first got her, she would fly into the window sliding-door leading into the sunroom. Thanks!

Most Reactions

Latest posts