Advice needed on breed/whether I have a suitable home

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Thank you for this suggestion. After some research I think this is the parrot for me. I'm going to visit some caiques this weekend to see if I feel the same after meeting them. I'm sure I'll be back with a bunch more questions before I actually buy one. Thanks so much for all your help!

Always good to meet and interact with a species you think you like. They had some caiques once at a local bird store, which is the only time I've ever interacted with them. VERY high energy little birds and really seemed to love hamming it up for anyone who walked over to their enclosure. Made me dizzy they were running all over so much, but if you have small dogs, well I've never met a particularly "low energy" small dog either;)

In general, unless your pet store caters only to birds, I wouldn't have a loose bird of any species, even the largest hyacinth macaw, in a store that sees dogs visiting. All it takes is one accident, one overly curious customers pet and there could be a real tragedy (or one overly sensitive idiot who doesn't engage their brain or small child not being watched by their parent and gets bit and now you have a real problem). If it were me, I would go with a nice, large cage. Possibly even a really nice custom one that could be a focal point of your store. While they aren't widely popular, as they are a pain to clean, an acrylic and/or fine mesh cage may be a good option for your situation as both a centerpiece in your shop and safe place for your bird to be at work while still allowing him/her to greet customers from behind a safe barrier. Would also keep whatever bird you choose safe from curious pets and 'the general public'. A custom non-standard cage is pricier, but would be a solid investment toward your future birds safety IMO.

I could see something like this looking really nice in a pet store and being about as safe as you could get for the bird inside:)
https://www.customcages.com/hb14-bird-cage-36-h-x-36-l-x-24-d.html

Last edited:

jiannotto9492

Jun 14, 2015
Long Island, New York
Parrots
Curry the Indian Ringneck
Thank you for this suggestion. After some research I think this is the parrot for me. I'm going to visit some caiques this weekend to see if I feel the same after meeting them. I'm sure I'll be back with a bunch more questions before I actually buy one. Thanks so much for all your help!

Always good to meet and interact with a species you think you like. They had some caiques once at a local bird store, which is the only time I've ever interacted with them. VERY high energy little birds and really seemed to love hamming it up for anyone who walked over to their enclosure. Made me dizzy they were running all over so much, but if you have small dogs, well I've never met a particularly "low energy" small dog either;)

In general, unless your pet store caters only to birds, I wouldn't have a loose bird of any species, even the largest hyacinth macaw, in a store that sees dogs visiting. All it takes is one accident, one overly curious customers pet and there could be a real tragedy (or one overly sensitive idiot who doesn't engage their brain or small child not being watched by their parent and gets bit and now you have a real problem). If it were me, I would go with a nice, large cage. Possibly even a really nice custom one that could be a focal point of your store. While they aren't widely popular, as they are a pain to clean, an acrylic and/or fine mesh cage may be a good option for your situation as both a centerpiece in your shop and safe place for your bird to be at work while still allowing him/her to greet customers from behind a safe barrier. Would also keep whatever bird you choose safe from curious pets and 'the general public'. A custom non-standard cage is pricier, but would be a solid investment toward your future birds safety IMO.

I could see something like this looking really nice in a pet store and being about as safe as you could get for the bird inside:)

As nice as those acryllic cages are don't they tend to heat up more? And even then they take away climbing real estate. But yeah then again in the shop it will take away a whole lot of real estate for someone to get bitten...

OP
T

TMJ

Oct 20, 2016
UK
Parrots
None yet!

That's a really nice cage. I think its perfect for the shop. I was looking at this one for home

HEMMY LARGE | Canary and small bird aviary, made of wood - Ferplast

I know its huge, hopefully not too big?! But the lucky thing with me owning a pet shop is that I can get these things at a discounted price so the cost of it all is greatly reduced.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
As nice as those acryllic cages are don't they tend to heat up more? And even then they take away climbing real estate. But yeah then again in the shop it will take away a whole lot of real estate for someone to get bitten...

I suggested this manufacturer because they have the hybrid cages. Only the front panel of these is acrylic, sides are metal bars in a grid, too small for a finger to go through but better for airflow and presumably will allow the bird to climb. Front panel will still be a pain to clean but the bird will be safe and the design is more suited to an active bird than wall to wall acrylic;)

CDavis

Aug 7, 2016
North Carolina
Parrots
Goose: Yellowsided Greencheek Conure
Dobby: Turquoise GCC
Bonkers: RLA
i think the suggestions are good unfortunately with a caique your not going to be able to let him out and about as much as a larger species because they are off the wall constant balls of energy. I would also but a very large cage and make sure to put a sign up that tells people that he bites.

jiannotto9492

Jun 14, 2015
Long Island, New York
Parrots
@Kiwi makes sense

@TMJ that's actually not all that huge. However that cage does have a big flaw that I can tell from the pictures. The locks... You're gonna want something that can only be unlocked from the outside.

If you want a recommended size of a cage I'd suggest at least 61x61 cm floorspace. But it's always better to go bigger. Bar spacing is a big thing as well. You wanna make sure that the bars are spaced enough so that it can climb easily and not get its head stuck.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
That is a nice aviary, but is designed for non-hookbills who will not chew, like finches or canaries. In general anything with a wood frame not designed specifically for parrots will not hold up to their love of chewing wood (and even those furniture style cages designed for parrots often get chewed up as well). Personally, I would look for something designed for parrots specifically of bird safe metal (which would be powder coated wrought iron, stainless and now some companies are using aluminum).

I looked at the website you linked to (assuming it is a supplier you order from?) and I would be looking more at cages of this style personally:
EXPERT 100 | Parrot professional cage - Ferplast

Metric is not the unit of measurement I'm used to (and all those cages are metric sizes), but you'll need to make sure the bar spacing is species appropriate. Too wide bar spacing can be a hazard for smaller birds. Heads can get stuck, so sometimes larger cages with wider bar spacing are not appropriate for housing smaller birds. Ideally you'd probably be looking for 1/2-5/8" bar spacing for a bird the size your looking at, but I do not know what that translates into in CM or MM.

OP
T

TMJ

Oct 20, 2016
UK
Parrots
None yet!
i think the suggestions are good unfortunately with a caique your not going to be able to let him out and about as much as a larger species because they are off the wall constant balls of energy. I would also but a very large cage and make sure to put a sign up that tells people that he bites.

I thought that cage was big because it was the largest one my wholesaler offers. But I do find the wholesalers often have smaller than ideal hamster cages and fish tanks so it makes sense that their bird cages are the same.

I'm quickly learning that choosing a parrot is a lot more difficult than choosing a breed of dog. The differences between the species are so vast! So instead of being set on a Caique what I'm going to do is remain open minded and meet as many different birds as I can over the next 6 months.

I would prefer not to buy a bird until I have moved house so that it can settle in a permanent home as soon as I get it. That means my timeline is to be decided and fully researched by Summer 2017. Maybe by then I won't be as intimidated by the larger parrots and I can get a showstopper

CDavis

Aug 7, 2016
North Carolina
Parrots
Does anyone else think that a rose breasted too would be perfect for op they are the perfect size they aren't intimidating at all and I'm sure they would live to meet new people all day.

jiannotto9492

Jun 14, 2015
Long Island, New York
Parrots
Does anyone else think that a rose breasted too would be perfect for op they are the perfect size they aren't intimidating at all and I'm sure they would live to meet new people all day.

Handsdown, I went to one of the local shops over here a few weeks ago and held a bunch of their rose breasteds they're such great birds.

But yeah OP, I think you have the right mindset going into this. If you want a cage that will last a lifetime take a look at stainless steel, they are costly but they will never rust on you. That or aluminum, I know Kind had a bunch of aluminum cages on their site but I think they're not selling them anymore. I have one of them and I absolutely love it.

And yeah, birds are difficult to pick out. You can find the perfect breed but not the perfect bird for you. But that's largely due to the fact that they're not exactly domesticated. Some breeds tend to allow their owners to handle them much more than other breeds but then again with enough of work the bird will end up trusting you regardless of the breed.

My Indian Ringneck will show the the typical cage aggression at times when it is inside the cage but once it comes out it is the cuddliest of all birds. It likes to be handled and given attention on its own terms and I can't blame it.

OP
T

TMJ

Oct 20, 2016
UK
Parrots
None yet!

The thing with bigger birds that gets me a bit nervous is their beak size and big claws. My dogs are tiny, a chihuahua and a papillon. With the little parrots it seems like they are a size match for each other. The big birds have these giant claws and beaks that my dogs would be absolutely no match for. Honestly I would hope that would never matter though and that life would be harmonious.

I'm going to a parrot sanctuary tomorrow where they have pretty much every species of parrot I could ask for. Meeting them in person will be a big help in gauging my feelings for them. It's too difficult to rule a bird out from just seeing a google photo.

The rose breasted cockatoo looks stunning. His beak isn't protruding like some of the big macaws and he looks a nice size. Hopefully they will have one at the sanctuary tomorrow.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
I thought that cage was big because it was the largest one my wholesaler offers. But I do find the wholesalers often have smaller than ideal hamster cages and fish tanks so it makes sense that their bird cages are the same.

I'm quickly learning that choosing a parrot is a lot more difficult than choosing a breed of dog. The differences between the species are so vast! So instead of being set on a Caique what I'm going to do is remain open minded and meet as many different birds as I can over the next 6 months.

I would prefer not to buy a bird until I have moved house so that it can settle in a permanent home as soon as I get it. That means my timeline is to be decided and fully researched by Summer 2017. Maybe by then I won't be as intimidated by the larger parrots and I can get a showstopper

Taking your time, having the proper home setup, researching/meeting various species, keeping an open mind- all very good ideas to be certain you find the right companion and new store mascot:) Buying a large bird as a "showstopper", just no (though I'm guessing you didn't mean it "that" way). You could get a tiny little $20 budgie could be a totally awesome bird who loves greeting and engaging customers and makes a wonderful companion. You could get a giant $20,000 hyacinth macaw who was surly and hated the workplace environment and would frighten customers. All parrots, large to small are beautiful animals and no matter the size, they all have the potential to bring a big, fun-loving kind of personality with them wherever they go:D

Figuring out which one its the right one is indeed a challenge, but you've gotten some good leads on potentially good matches for your lifestyle as well as species that would likely not be suited to that level of excitement. And while caiques were the first smaller species that came to the top of my head for a high paced lifestyle for a bird, I'm sure there are others of the smaller parrots who may be potential good matches too. Don't feel a large parrot is the only good option here, even though some large parrots may also be suited to that kind of environment and are undoubtedly beautiful animals, there are beautiful and friendly small parrots too.

jiannotto9492

Jun 14, 2015
Long Island, New York
Parrots
Mind me asking where in the UK are you from?

Here's some advice:

1) Go in with no expectations.

2) Don't count out larger birds quite yet.

3) Don't get a small bird and call it a "starter" bird. Get a smaller bird because it is the right bird for you.

4) Understand that it is a long term commitment.

5) Take a look to see if they have quakers/monks, different types of conures, and ringnecks. These are all smaller sized birds and great to start out with at the sanctuary for you to get used to handling at first. Work your way on up as you get more comfortable with them. Once you're not so intimidated and get an idea for handling the smaller birds look for something a little bit larger.

Last edited:
OP
T

TMJ

Oct 20, 2016
UK
Parrots
None yet!
Mind me asking where in the UK are you from?

Here's some advice:

1) Go in with no expectations.

2) Don't count out larger birds quite yet.

3) Don't get a small bird and call it a "starter" bird. Get a smaller bird because it is the right bird for you.

4) Understand that it is a long term commitment.

5) Take a look to see if they have quakers/monks, different types of conures, and ringnecks. These are all smaller sized birds and great to start out with at the sanctuary for you to get used to handling at first. Work your way on up as you get more comfortable with them. Once you're not so intimidated and get an idea for handling the smaller birds look for something a little bit larger.

I'm from the West Midlands, near to Birmingham.

Jayyj

Apr 28, 2013
UK
Parrots
Alice - Galah cockatoo

The thing with bigger birds that gets me a bit nervous is their beak size and big claws. My dogs are tiny, a chihuahua and a papillon. With the little parrots it seems like they are a size match for each other. The big birds have these giant claws and beaks that my dogs would be absolutely no match for. Honestly I would hope that would never matter though and that life would be harmonious.

I'm going to a parrot sanctuary tomorrow where they have pretty much every species of parrot I could ask for. Meeting them in person will be a big help in gauging my feelings for them. It's too difficult to rule a bird out from just seeing a google photo.

The rose breasted cockatoo looks stunning. His beak isn't protruding like some of the big macaws and he looks a nice size. Hopefully they will have one at the sanctuary tomorrow.

Galahs (I can never get used to calling them Rose Breasted, sounds very Victorian!) are somewhere in between a caique and an African grey in size - they're all wings and tail, very like a kestrel in size and proportion. The beak is unusually small for a parrot of their size and although they're typically quite nippy I'd far rather be bitten by a galah then pretty much any other medium sized parrot. Mine has never drawn blood with me, although she can do with strangers if she's seriously scared or annoyed.

BeatriceC

Feb 9, 2016
San Diego, CA
Parrots
Goofy (YNA), Oscar (Goffin 'too). Foster bird Betty (RLA). RIP Cookie, 1991-2016 ('tiel), Leo (Sengal), Charlotte (scarlet macaw). Grand-birds: Liam (budgie), Donovan (lovebird), RIP Angelo (budgie)
Moves can definitely stress out a bird but they'll adjust to it. If you're going to be going back and forth I must recommend getting one of the bird backpacks for transport. Macaws are extremely loud so I must warn you on that one. Be sure that won't be a problem with your living situation. Personally if you want something that will be fun to have around the shop I would suggest a Congo African grey.

But I must recommend to do research on care for these birds as they do require a good amount of attention. Also being that you will have it in your store look into what will happen if someone was to get bitten. Macaw bites are known to require stitches so protect yourself from any potential liabilities.

I just wanted to say a bit about the part I put in bold. Macaw bites can do more than require stitches. My macaw clamped down on my hand to keep herself from falling (one wing, bad balance), so wasn't even trying to bite me, and it just happened. The results have been less than pleasant. The official diagnosis is a tear in the ligament connecting my hand to my wrist. I'm starting physical therapy and if that doesn't work, I'll need surgery to fix the damage.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
I just wanted to say a bit about the part I put in bold. Macaw bites can do more than require stitches. My macaw clamped down on my hand to keep herself from falling (one wing, bad balance), so wasn't even trying to bite me, and it just happened. The results have been less than pleasant. The official diagnosis is a tear in the ligament connecting my hand to my wrist. I'm starting physical therapy and if that doesn't work, I'll need surgery to fix the damage.

Not just the big beaks either. My mom has permanent nerve damage in her index finger from my dads goffin cockatoo (comparable in size to a galah and other small cockatoos). That was the same cockatoo who removed a sizable chunk of flesh from my cheek when I was a toddler. Fortunately my parents are bird people and used it as a teaching tool, but many parents would be calling for a bird who bit their kid to be put down and for you to face criminal charges.

Parrot beaks are definitely not to be taken lightly, especially big beaks and any parrot small or large needs a suitable enclosure that will prevent the public from physical contact. That is why I suggested that acrylic and mesh cage setup for work. Keeps everyone safe and still allows for the bird to engage with the public without putting the bird or public at risk because there is a suitable barrier keeping body parts and beaks separated.

CDavis

Aug 7, 2016
North Carolina
Parrots
Yea big beaks mean big damage but large birds in my experience use some self control work their bite pressure while a sun conure or caique will bite as hard as they can and that can be worse that getting bitten by a larger bird. also you mentioned dogs and parrots a good rule of thumb is to never let them close to each other because accidents can happen too fast.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
After thinking about my last post, I wanted to add these kind of tales aren't to scare you or discourage you from getting a larger bird, they are to help you make an informed decision by knowing what a worst case scenario is. Not every parrots is out for blood and they typically bite as a form of communication or in defense of a perceived threat. When taught more appropriate ways to communicate along with respecting their body language, serious bites are a very rare occurrence for most parrot owners. My amazon was a bad biter when we adopted him. He bit to inflict maximum damage, he bit me badly in the face twice. I cannot even think of the last time he broke skin at this point. A few years ago probably... He's trustworthy enough now he preens around our faces, even around my husbands eyes (I wear glasses). He occasionally nips us when he's real hormonal, but thats about it.

Some birds never bite at all. I can think of not a single time one of my parents other birds (a green cheek amazon) has bitten anyone, ever. I don't think he knows how to bite, he doesn't even bite his toys. He is the sweetest, most gentle creature on the face of earth. About the worst he does is squeal loudly if he doesn't like something (which is actually pretty cute). His species is not known for being particularly aggressive as a rule. Of course there are exceptions to every rule, but most of the species suggested here are either small enough a bad bite would not cause serious life-impacting damage or are simply generally more gentle natured birds when properly socialized and in a loving environment.

Most Reactions

Latest posts