Advice needed on pellet brands to consider buying for budgies

lilbuddy

Jul 19, 2022
Parrots
Dewey (blue and grey parakeet)
Goldie (white and blue parakeet)
Hello! New here. This is my first time posting smth and idk if I'm doing it right. :green1: (please tell me if i am!)
Anyways, I have two budgies. One I've had for longer, and the other one I've brought home recently. I'd say they're both fairly young. The newer one is around 5 months old, and the older one is a few months more mature than that. Their names are Dewey and Boo boo (both female. Interesting name choice, I know).

I've been trying to convert Dewey's diet to a healthier pellet diet for a long time. She is a really picky eater. I have Zupreem pellets. The one in the picture is the exact one I have.

294721119_1432189430617679_2397724428638835723_n.jpg

I've wetted Dewey's seed mix with ground pellets (slowly increasing the pellet ratio as time passes). I've done this for weeks. No progress seems to have been made. I'm losing hope that I can convert my budgies' diet with the pellet brand I currently have.

I decided to look into some different options. The pellet products available to purchase here are very limited. Below are the ones I've managed to find. First, there's a vetafarm one, but I'd like to avoid it because Dewey might be picky with the colors. The Gourmet Pellets are from the US. The Petslife one seems ideal, but I've never heard of the brand and one of the reviews said it had a pretty strong banana fragrance, which I'm not sure will be good for the birds. There's one called Fiory, but i'm not sure why there's honey on the cover and I've also never heard of that brand. Lastly, I'd love to buy the Harrison's one, but it's pretty pricy in comparison to all the other options.
294091616_773722410645300_1517888848008704492_n.jpg
294369885_750549586147727_1126358505198608566_n.jpg
294886007_614535836951429_8238741213813526948_n.jpg
296197037_785367485816377_8042810465042394517_n.jpg
295056611_420079403517635_6276162742743058291_n.jpg

Best case scenario, my budgies both get used to the Zupreem pellets and start to enjoy it more. I don't know how likely that is though. The pellets seem too big for Dewey's liking. She also doesn't like her seeds wet. She will nibble on the ground pellets, but sometimes I can't tell if she's eating it or spitting it out. She will straight out drop the larger pieces if I offer them to her.

Please give me some advice on which brands to consider buying. I'm really hoping I don't have to order one online from oversees because of the shipping fee (I live very far from America). Any advice on how to continue helping my birds adjust to their current pellets would be welcome too! This post is super long, sorry.

Last edited:

Littleredbeak

May 27, 2020
Maybe powderize the pellets and sprinkle it on her seeds to help her try it. Do you have access to TOPS pellets? Where I am they sell 25lbs for 90. Keep trying and eventually they'll want to try it. Variety is key. What I feed is Senior nutriberries, sprouted seeds, fruits, vegetables, nuts, cheese, and ill make them sprouted buckwheat pancakes, rolled Oats and more. In the morning while I drink coffee everyone gets apples. Isabell loves it when I premeditated to eat her food too before I give her some (anything I put in her bowl is off limits ... all food in bowl is hers lol)

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Hello! New here. This is my first time posting a thread and I'm not sure if I'm doing it right. :green1: (please tell me if i am!)
Anyways, I have two budgies. One I've had for longer, and the other I've brought home recently. I'd say they're both fairly young. The newer one is around 5 months old, and the older one is a few months more mature than that. Their names are Dewey and Boo boo (both female. Interesting name choice, I know).

I've been trying to convert Dewey's diet to a healthier pellet diet for a long time. She is a really picky eater. I have Zupreem pellets. The one in the picture is the exact one I have.

View attachment 42663
I have wetted Dewey's seed mix with ground pellets (slowly increasing the pellet ratio as time passes). I have done this for weeks. No progress seems to have been made. I'm losing hope that I can convert my budgies' diet with the pellet brand I currently have.

I decided to look into some different options. The pellet products available to purchase here are very limited. Below are the ones I've managed to find. First, there's a vetafarm one, but I'd like to avoid it because Dewey might be picky with the colors. The Gourmet Pellets are from the US. The Petslife one seems ideal, but I've never heard of the brand and one of the reviews said it had a pretty strong banana fragrance, which I'm not sure will be good for the birds. There's one called Fiory, but i'm not sure why there's honey on the cover and I've also never heard of the brand. Lastly, I'd love to buy the Harrison's one, but it's extremely pricy in comparison to all the other options. About 4 times more expensive than one of the more affordable ones, and maybe 2 times the price of the other options.
View attachment 42664View attachment 42665View attachment 42666View attachment 42668View attachment 42667
Best case scenario, my budgies both get used to the Zupreem pellets and start to enjoy it more. I don't know how likely that is though. The pellets seem too big for Dewey's liking. She also doesn't like her seeds wet. She will nibble on the ground pellets, but sometimes I can't tell if she's eating it or spitting it out. She will straight out drop the larger pieces if I offer them to her.

Please give me some advice on which brands to consider buying. I'm really hoping I don't have to order one online from oversees because of the shipping fee (I live very far from America). Any advice on how to continue helping my birds adjust to their current pellets would be welcome too! This post is super long, sorry.
Can you share the ingredients list? Also, if you feel comfortable sharing your country, I can try find some pellets.

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
Hello! New here. This is my first time posting a thread and I'm not sure if I'm doing it right. :green1: (please tell me if i am!)
Anyways, I have two budgies. One I've had for longer, and the other I've brought home recently. I'd say they're both fairly young. The newer one is around 5 months old, and the older one is a few months more mature than that. Their names are Dewey and Boo boo (both female. Interesting name choice, I know).

View attachment 42663
I have wetted Dewey's seed mix with ground pellets (slowly increasing the pellet ratio as time passes). I have done this for weeks. No progress seems to have been made. I'm losing hope that I can convert my budgies' diet with the pellet brand I currently have.

I decided to look into some different options. The pellet products available to purchase here are very limited. Below are the ones I've managed to find. First, there's a vetafarm one, but I'd like to avoid it because Dewey might be picky with the colors. The Gourmet Pellets are from the US. The Petslife one seems ideal, but I've never heard of the brand and one of the reviews said it had a pretty strong banana fragrance, which I'm not sure will be good for the birds. There's one called Fiory, but i'm not sure why there's honey on the cover and I've also never heard of the brand. Lastly, I'd love to buy the Harrison's one, but it's extremely pricy in comparison to all the other options. About 4 times more expensive than one of the more affordable ones, and maybe 2 times the price of the other options.
View attachment 42664View attachment 42665View attachment 42666View attachment 42668View attachment 42667

Just remember to feed chop too. Parrots shouldn't just live off processed food.

OP
lilbuddy

lilbuddy

Jul 19, 2022
Parrots
Maybe powderize the pellets and sprinkle it on her seeds to help her try it. Do you have access to TOPS pellets? Where I am they sell 25lbs for 90. Keep trying and eventually they'll want to try it. Variety is key. What I feed is Senior nutriberries, sprouted seeds, fruits, vegetables, nuts, cheese, and ill make them sprouted buckwheat pancakes, rolled Oats and more. In the morning while I drink coffee everyone gets apples. Isabell loves it when I premeditated to eat her food too before I give her some (anything I put in her bowl is off limits ... all food in bowl is hers lol)
Thank you for the advice! I'll be looking for the Tops pellets hopefully i'll find them. :)

bonitabird59

Apr 12, 2022
Hello! New here. This is my first time posting smth and idk if I'm doing it right. :green1: (please tell me if i am!)
Anyways, I have two budgies. One I've had for longer, and the other one I've brought home recently. I'd say they're both fairly young. The newer one is around 5 months old, and the older one is a few months more mature than that. Their names are Dewey and Boo boo (both female. Interesting name choice, I know).

View attachment 42663
I've wetted Dewey's seed mix with ground pellets (slowly increasing the pellet ratio as time passes). I've done this for weeks. No progress seems to have been made. I'm losing hope that I can convert my budgies' diet with the pellet brand I currently have.

I decided to look into some different options. The pellet products available to purchase here are very limited. Below are the ones I've managed to find. First, there's a vetafarm one, but I'd like to avoid it because Dewey might be picky with the colors. The Gourmet Pellets are from the US. The Petslife one seems ideal, but I've never heard of the brand and one of the reviews said it had a pretty strong banana fragrance, which I'm not sure will be good for the birds. There's one called Fiory, but i'm not sure why there's honey on the cover and I've also never heard of that brand. Lastly, I'd love to buy the Harrison's one, but it's pretty pricy in comparison to all the other options.

ROUDYBUSH CRUMBLES OR THE MINI!! Literally mine LOVE it. My conure wont eat the pellets unless I hand feed them to him, but my budgies are insane for roudy. I did the cold turkey method with crumble because its small and seed shaped, and they took right to it. Now I feed the mini because my finches prefer the mini and I have a giant 10 lb bag of the stuff. But rotate sizes! Sometimes I feed the large pellets because they like to hold them w their feet, and other times I'll do a mix of crumble and mini. I would recommend the crumble for you since you're coming off of zupreem. If you want, mix some chopped brocolli or microgreens into the pellet with a 1/2 teaspoon of seed mixed in. They'll take right to it, then slowly phase the seeds out. Good luck!

bonitabird59

Apr 12, 2022
If roudybush is too hard for you to come across, I also recommend Mazuri small bird diet or the Harrisons. For Harrisons though you want to feed the high potency for 6 months, then switch over to the regular type.

OP
lilbuddy

lilbuddy

Jul 19, 2022
Parrots
ROUDYBUSH CRUMBLES OR THE MINI!! Literally mine LOVE it. My conure wont eat the pellets unless I hand feed them to him, but my budgies are insane for roudy. I did the cold turkey method with crumble because its small and seed shaped, and they took right to it. Now I feed the mini because my finches prefer the mini and I have a giant 10 lb bag of the stuff. But rotate sizes! Sometimes I feed the large pellets because they like to hold them w their feet, and other times I'll do a mix of crumble and mini. I would recommend the crumble for you since you're coming off of zupreem. If you want, mix some chopped brocolli or microgreens into the pellet with a 1/2 teaspoon of seed mixed in. They'll take right to it, then slowly phase the seeds out. Good luck!
Okay! Thank you sm for the advice ^^ Really hoping i can get my hands on the Roudybush ones! I'm gonna take note of all those recommendations

Last edited:
OP
lilbuddy

lilbuddy

Jul 19, 2022
Parrots
Can you share the ingredients list? Also, if you feel comfortable sharing your country, I can try find some pellets.
296236121_479170304027688_4389773286894776293_n.jpg

Here's the ingredients list! Thank you for offering to help, I appreciate it :) I live in Korea.

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Fiory appears to be a seed mix. Seed is perfect healthy, and is a must in a bird diet, but should only be about 10-20$ of the diet. Unless your bird has a medical issue and your vet says no seed.

Lafebers is good but high in fruit(the tropical one)

Harrisons is the best out of the list. Only con I can think of is the salt, but there is a very low amount of it.

ZuPreem is good but has sugar.

OP
lilbuddy

lilbuddy

Jul 19, 2022
Parrots

Most Reactions

Latest posts