Advice on what species for a future bird...

Amanda_Bennett

Sep 27, 2014
Gresham, OR
Parrots
Zilla 29 Y.O. Orange Wing Amazon
So my Mom is really pushing me hard to figure out what species of parrot I will want to bring into my home next. I'm looking at sometime around March or so to make sure Zilla is well and things are going good with her before I "rock the boat". Mom is "hinting" like maybe she plans on helping financially (I hope she doesn't think this will be my Christmas present!)

The vet has advised against any "dusty" birds, because Zilla's respiratory issues with the scar tissue, and susceptibility to respiratory infections will be with us for the rest of her life.

The top of my list have always been CAG, Galah, & mac's, but now the CAG & galah are out, (and where would I put a cage big enough for a mac?) :eek:

I love conures and caiques but I feel they may be a little on the small side with the cats. I would hate for something to happen, and even though I am vigilant about their interaction it only takes a second!

I've kind of been slowly falling for the lilac crowned amazon at the bird hut :54: and there is a female ekkie that is always fascinated with me whenever I visit :)

Anyone have any other suggestions? I'm pretty open to at least checking out different types before making a decision, and I'm sure there are lots and lots out there I know nothing about!

I feel it would be best to give a bird who needs a home a good one rather than get a baby from a breeder. At my age I don't think it would be fair of me to get a baby bird and promise it "forever" when I can't possibly hope to be around for that birds forever. I have been checking with the bird hut to see what he is currently re-homing, and have asked him to keep me posted with others he hears about. I've also been checking out the rescue's in my area and the humane society.

Oh No! Do I have MBS? HELP!!! :eek:

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
That's exactly what I was thinking, that your mom wants to get another bird for you for Christmas!

I'm thinking another Amazon species for you :)

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Hahaha Anmanda, we should have warned you, MBS has a very high rate of communicability. Sigh, but since you're infected, you may as well enjoy it. I can't suggest a species for you, but after all you've done for Zilla, I know there is one lucky, lucky bird out there waiting to meet you. Good luck and get well soon.

EAI

Jul 25, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Parrots
Budgerigar: Arrow, Esther, Kratos, Cora, Ducky.

Lovebird: Izzy, Gizmo.
I think that any birds (besides the ones your vet advised against :p) are perfect for your family! It's a broad saying but we know how much commitment and love your putting into Zilla so we know you'll do the same to any parrot.

An Eclectus or another Amazon would be great ! But I definitely agree with TheKarens on letting a parrot decide on you.

OP
Amanda_Bennett

Amanda_Bennett

Sep 27, 2014
Gresham, OR
Parrots
LOL, you're all great, but not very helpful with this!!! :eek:

Thanks for all the confidence in me as a parront though! :D

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
macaw,LS2,congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,Hawkhead,yellowstrk lory,Blue frnt amazon,sun conure ,Yellow sided greencheek ,Goffin ,Rosebreasted Cockatoo,Greenwing Macaw,Blue and Gold Macaw,Nanday conure,Ecle
I agree with another Zon or Macaw . I love Zons cause their almost like they have a little bit of all my other birds qualities. Don't be afraid of the bigger ones either their wonderful. I have to say I wouldn't want to go through my life without a Macaw . Ive had 4 and I think a bonded macaw are very easy birds. Nothing like the love of a Macaw :)

EAI

Jul 25, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Parrots

What about a Vasa or Hawk Headed Parrot? I'm not sure on the dustiness on either of them but they're so fascinating and seem to have a great disposition.

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
What about a Vasa or Hawk Headed Parrot? I'm not sure on the dustiness on either of them but they're so fascinating and seem to have a great disposition.

Good luck finding a vasa. They are tough to find. I've looked.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
I think Old World in TX still has them... I know a very reputable Ekkie breeder who probably still breeds them.

OP
Amanda_Bennett

Amanda_Bennett

Sep 27, 2014
Gresham, OR
Parrots
I think I might be considering a small macaw. They have a Hahns at the bird hut. He is 5 years old and seems to kind of like me, though I haven't really spent much time with him.

I've also heard the yellow nape macaw is a smaller one that makes a good pet.

I don't know why, but I have a thing for macaws! :eek: I would LOVE to have a big one, but just don't have the room.

I think I will do some more research on the smaller macaws and see what I find. :)

As always any information/suggestions/pros/cons welcome!

OP
Amanda_Bennett

Amanda_Bennett

Sep 27, 2014
Gresham, OR
Parrots
Ooh I love the little Hahns! They're very cute.

I think I'm seeing a trip to the bird hut in my super near future! :eek: I will have to spend some more time with him to make sure he likes me before I tell Mom!

I also want to find out a bit about his past. Not that I don't think I could overcome whatever issues he may have, but I want to be prepared and start gathering information before bringing a bird home.

I also have to know if they would be willing to keep him for a few more months until Zilla's health is as good as it can be before I rock her world & mine!

labell

Feb 17, 2014
East
Big surprise I am going to say female eclectus, if she already likes you that is a giant plus. While I love amazon's, female eclectus are the most beautiful parrots in person of them all imho.
Diet is a factor but since you work from home I am certain you would have no issues coupled with your excellent care of Zilla I think a red girl would be a perfect choice for you and Zilla as well since eclectus have no dust!

EAI

Jul 25, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Parrots

Good luck finding a vasa. They are tough to find. I've looked.

I should have thought more into that, sorry(!).

I love Mini Macaws too! I think that one would go into your household great. I mean a parront home all day = heaven :p.
Hope for pictures when you get to the bird hurt!

Most Reactions