Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
So, I wrote a short thing based on this image
E0840428-67B4-4DE0-BF03-F960B1E179D7.jpeg

So here it is:

ā€œI am a Forever Bird.

I am a forever bird. I am a budgie, I live my days happily, day by day with my human! They love me, and I love them.

I am a forever bird, not an until you have a boyfriend bird. I am a cockatiel, my human loved me very much, until she got her boyfriendā€¦ now all she does is ignore meā€¦

I am a forever bird, not an until you have a baby bird! I am a lovebird, my humans and I adored each other! We played every day, sang, and did everything together! Until she had a babyā€¦ now itā€™s like she doesnā€™t even care about me! She doesnā€™t let me out, we donā€™t sing anymore, and she never plays with meā€¦.

I am a forever bird, not an until you get bored with me bird. My friend and I are budgies, our little human loved us for a week. She would play dress up as we sang happily to her! And then, she didnā€™t want us anymore. We were locked away for weeks until we were put in a new homeā€¦ we are so scaredā€¦ what did we do wrong?

I am a forever bird, not an until you have to move bird. I am an African grey, I loved my human to death! But when he moved, he abandoned meā€¦

I am a forever bird, not an until you have no time bird. I am a sulfur crested cockatoo. My humans and I would play every single day. We would yell, we would go shopping, we would talk, and we would do everything possible together! Until they got new jobs. They stopped letting me out. They would tell me ā€œsorry birdie! We canā€™t let you out right nowā€¦ we can later!ā€ And they never would. They would shush me, cover my cage, and get angry when I would scream to be let out. Then, they sold me after five years in that cageā€¦

I am a forever bird, not an until you get old bird. I am a blue and gold macaw, and my human got me thirty years ago when he was forty-one. On his seventy-first birthday, he died unexpectedly and his wife took me in. Two years later, her dementia became too severe, and I had to live with her kids. Iā€™m so scared I may lose them tooā€¦

Itā€™s just that simple. If you canā€™t give US forever, then we are not your birds.ā€

Thoughts?

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
So, I wrote a short thing based on this image View attachment 50629

So here it is:

ā€œI am a Forever Bird.

I am a forever bird. I am a budgie, I live my days happily, day by day with my human! They love me, and I love them.

I am a forever bird, not an until you have a boyfriend bird. I am a cockatiel, my human loved me very much, until she got her boyfriendā€¦ now all she does is ignore meā€¦

I am a forever bird, not an until you have a baby bird! I am a lovebird, my humans and I adored each other! We played every day, sang, and did everything together! Until she had a babyā€¦ now itā€™s like she doesnā€™t even care about me! She doesnā€™t let me out, we donā€™t sing anymore, and she never plays with meā€¦.

I am a forever bird, not an until you get bored with me bird. My friend and I are budgies, our little human loved us for a week. She would play dress up as we sang happily to her! And then, she didnā€™t want us anymore. We were locked away for weeks until we were put in a new homeā€¦ we are so scaredā€¦ what did we do wrong?

I am a forever bird, not an until you have to move bird. I am an African grey, I loved my human to death! But when he moved, he abandoned meā€¦

I am a forever bird, not an until you have no time bird. I am a sulfur crested cockatoo. My humans and I would play every single day. We would yell, we would go shopping, we would talk, and we would do everything possible together! Until they got new jobs. They stopped letting me out. They would tell me ā€œsorry birdie! We canā€™t let you out right nowā€¦ we can later!ā€ And they never would. They would shush me, cover my cage, and get angry when I would scream to be let out. Then, they sold me after five years in that cageā€¦

I am a forever bird, not an until you get old bird. I am a blue and gold macaw, and my human got me thirty years ago when he was forty-one. On his seventy-first birthday, he died unexpectedly and his wife took me in. Two years later, her dementia became too severe, and I had to live with her kids. Iā€™m so scared I may lose them tooā€¦

Itā€™s just that simple. If you canā€™t give US forever, then we are not your birds.ā€

Thoughts?
Very thought provoking. Big important thoughts. Thoughts that may land me in hot water on this forum yet are too important to let fear of being attacked silence me.
There is a case to be made that most people should not keep birds as companions or pets at all because, with the possible exception of budgies, birds are far to dependent on us and live too long.
Consider that what is usually considered to be making the ultimate long term commitment that demands extreme maturity and self sacrifice- having a child- usually lasts eighteen years. And that as most children grow into adolescents, they require less and less supervision until at eighteen they are considered independent adults under the law, capable of taking care of themselves.
Now consider adopting a baby parrot with a potential lifespan of 20 or more years. That parrot will remain 100% dependent on their human parront for their entire lives. They don't grow up and go to school. They will never be able to tell you exactly how they feel or what they need. We will never speak their language. They can't clean their own cages, feed themselves, or bathe themselves, and have a very limited ability to entertain themselves. If you think about it, being a parront is a much longer time and attention commitment than being a parent.
Let's be honest with ourselves. How many of us are really prepared to make this kind of commitment to a bird? How do we know how we are going to feel about taking proper care of a bird in ten, twenty, or thirty or more years? Or whether we will even be capable of it?
We rely too much on rescues to take over for us when we are no longer willing or able to fulfill the commitments we made when we adopted a bird.
We assume that the hand selected people we designate in our wills to take our birds after we pass will be truly willing and able to be our parrots' new parronts. We assume it's always an option to re-home our birds when our desire to properly take care of them is overridden by changes in our circumstances and family structures, and we can longer be parronts to our birds.
All this considered, how many of us are truly capable of the commitment it takes to be parronts?

PrimorandMoxi

May 29, 2015
New Jersey
Parrots
Max (23yo) Blue and Gold Macaw,
&
PRIMOR (8yo) Red Lored Amazon,
&
ABBA (33yo) Red Lored Amazon - RIP
Very thought provoking. Big important thoughts. Thoughts that may land me in hot water on this forum yet are too important to let fear of being attacked silence me.
There is a case to be made that most people should not keep birds as companions or pets at all because, with the possible exception of budgies, birds are far to dependent on us and live too long.
Consider that what is usually considered to be making the ultimate long term commitment that demands extreme maturity and self sacrifice- having a child- usually lasts eighteen years. And that as most children grow into adolescents, they require less and less supervision until at eighteen they are considered independent adults under the law, capable of taking care of themselves.
Now consider adopting a baby parrot with a potential lifespan of 20 or more years. That parrot will remain 100% dependent on their human parront for their entire lives. They don't grow up and go to school. They will never be able to tell you exactly how they feel or what they need. We will never speak their language. They can't clean their own cages, feed themselves, or bathe themselves, and have a very limited ability to entertain themselves. If you think about it, being a parront is a much longer time and attention commitment than being a parent.
Let's be honest with ourselves. How many of us are really prepared to make this kind of commitment to a bird? How do we know how we are going to feel about taking proper care of a bird in ten, twenty, or thirty or more years? Or whether we will even be capable of it?
We rely too much on rescues to take over for us when we are no longer willing or able to fulfill the commitments we made when we adopted a bird.
We assume that the hand selected people we designate in our wills to take our birds after we pass will be truly willing and able to be our parrots' new parronts. We assume it's always an option to re-home our birds when our desire to properly take care of them is overridden by changes in our circumstances and family structures, and we can longer be parronts to our birds.
All this considered, how many of us are truly capable of the commitment it takes to be parronts?
Thought about these same things many times.
The life long commitment and even beyond because somehow I have to figure away to assure they are taken care of when I'm gone.

Parrontship was thrust upon me. I had no idea that I needed a parrot in my life or if I had what it takes to give a captive bird a fulfilling existence.

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
I've seen that image many times, and I think about frequently. It makes me sad that so many people don't see it that way. With the exception of a few budgies I had as a kid, all my birds, past and current have come to me because of exactly that. Our tiels, after 10 years, brother in law decided he didn't have time. Cuckoo, my BFA, sold because the adult daughter didn't pay attention and got bit. Her own damned fault. Patches, my heart bird, rescued with a dozen other ekkies from a hoarding situation. He's the one who taught me what a true bond really means, and the one who brought me to the Forums to learn. Tucker, my sweet ekkie boy, because the owner had severe PTSD and he couldn't handle a screaming bird. Baxter, my beautiful YNA, because her people downsized. Sold their home, bought an RV and a smaller cage for her, then decided it was better for her to dump her at a rescue than to keep her with the only family she had ever known because they'd be traveling. (With her) And finally, Avery. 30-50 years (unknown exactly how long) in the same home. Owner passed away 15 years ago, wife kept him (cage bound) for that 15 year period, until she went to the nursing home.

We never know what life will bring, but I made a commitment to my little flock. Until my last breath, I will love them and care for them the very best I can. If they outlive me, which is likely for at least Tucker and Baxter, my daughter and older son will continue to love and care for them as they deserve. They are in their forever home ā™„ļøā™„ļøā™„ļø

Last edited:
OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
I added more to it:

ā€œand I had to live with her kids.

Itā€™s just that simple. If you canā€™t give US forever, then we are not your birds.

We are not some toy or plaything you give to your kid when they are bored. We are not some decoration for your home. We are not some animal you can brag about owning. And we are definitely not easy to care for.

We live long, we cost a lot, and we are far from domesticated. Many people think we are easy and eat seeds and can be occupied by a mirror, but that could not be farther from the truth. We need so many toys to chew and shred. we need BIG cages, for us to fly in! We need varied diets of vegetables, few fruits, seeds, legumes, and pellets.

We are very sensitive creatures, many things posing threats to us. Dogs, cats, candles, non-stick cookware, toxic metals like copper, zinc, and the like, many woods and plants, and much more.

If this is a lot for you, then we arenā€™t for you. We are lifelong commitments, and we are not meant for people with commitment issues, kids, or people unaware of the commitment we are. Like we said, if YOU cannot give US forever, then we are not your birds.

We are not suitable for houses with violence, drugs, alcoholics, constant moving, hoarders, vacations, severe disorder, or familial issues. We NEED you to give us stability! We need to feel secure and safe. And if you canā€™t take care of yourself, you canā€™t take care of us. We need you to be there for us.

If you revolt at the idea of having another, or more kids, we arenā€™t for you. We scream, we destroy our and your stuff, we need to fly for hours on end, we need you to feed us fresh food everyday, we need fresh water, and we need endless attention every day. If you canā€™t or wonā€™t provide this, we are NOT your bird.

If you will re-home us because we were too much for you, we are not your bird.

We are not a gift for your kid or for anyone, we are a commitment that needs lots of time, consideration, and to be discussed for days. Our shortest lived species can live to be ten years, which puts our lifespans into perspective. We are a lifelong commitment and we need you to give us forever.

We are forever birds, not give us up when you donā€™t want us anymore birds.

Not a give to your kid when they are bored of their animals bird.

Not a little trophy to brag about bird.

Not a decoration bird.

Not a plaything bird.

We are Forever Birds. Cant give us forever? Donā€™t get us. Itā€™s that simple.ā€

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I added more to it:

ā€œand I had to live with her kids.

Itā€™s just that simple. If you canā€™t give US forever, then we are not your birds.

We are not some toy or plaything you give to your kid when they are bored. We are not some decoration for your home. We are not some animal you can brag about owning. And we are definitely not easy to care for.

We live long, we cost a lot, and we are far from domesticated. Many people think we are easy and eat seeds and can be occupied by a mirror, but that could not be farther from the truth. We need so many toys to chew and shred. we need BIG cages, for us to fly in! We need varied diets of vegetables, few fruits, seeds, legumes, and pellets.

We are very sensitive creatures, many things posing threats to us. Dogs, cats, candles, non-stick cookware, toxic metals like copper, zinc, and the like, many woods and plants, and much more.

If this is a lot for you, then we arenā€™t for you. We are lifelong commitments, and we are not meant for people with commitment issues, kids, or people unaware of the commitment we are. Like we said, if YOU cannot give US forever, then we are not your birds.

We are not suitable for houses with violence, drugs, alcoholics, constant moving, hoarders, vacations, severe disorder, or familial issues. We NEED you to give us stability! We need to feel secure and safe. And if you canā€™t take care of yourself, you canā€™t take care of us. We need you to be there for us.

If you revolt at the idea of having another, or more kids, we arenā€™t for you. We scream, we destroy our and your stuff, we need to fly for hours on end, we need you to feed us fresh food everyday, we need fresh water, and we need endless attention every day. If you canā€™t or wonā€™t provide this, we are NOT your bird.

If you will re-home us because we were too much for you, we are not your bird.

We are not a gift for your kid or for anyone, we are a commitment that needs lots of time, consideration, and to be discussed for days. Our shortest lived species can live to be ten years, which puts our lifespans into perspective. We are a lifelong commitment and we need you to give us forever.

We are forever birds, not give us up when you donā€™t want us anymore birds.

Not a give to your kid when they are bored of their animals bird.

Not a little trophy to brag about bird.

Not a decoration bird.

Not a plaything bird.

We are Forever Birds. Cant give us forever? Donā€™t get us. Itā€™s that simple.ā€
Thank you for bringing up this vital yet difficult topic for thought and discussion.

Before getting a bird, people should ask themselves what their personal goals and plans are, especially for the next five to ten years. Going to school? Getting a demanding career job? Buying a house? A condo? Renting? Getting married? Having children? Getting dogs or cats? Traveling a lot? Do they envision an active social life going out a lot in the evenings? All of these things can affect your ability to provide a home for a Forever Bird. We can't look into a crystal ball but our plans and goals are good predictors of what our lives will be like in the future and whether they will be compatible with parronthood.
Peo

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
IDK.
I hear what you are saying and agree up to a point.
But life isnā€™t black/white, stuff happens.
What if your in a car wreck and physically disabled to the point of being unable to care for your bird.

What if you end up with the big C and have to undergo chemotherapy and long spells in hospital.

No one can predict the future and in the end we all have to do that best we can.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
IDK.
What if your in a car wreck and physically disabled to the point of being unable to care for your bird.

What if you end up with the big C and have to undergo chemotherapy and long spells in hospital.

No one can predict the future and in the end we all have to do that best we can.
Of course Life Happens. You can't predict the unpredictable, and the unpredictable is NOT a reason to deny yourself the joys of parronthood.

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
IDK.

This was just covering common reasons why people get or get rid of their birds. This wasnā€™t exactly supposed to show the spectrum of details in life, just something from the sign and things I tend to notice with people when they impulsively get birds or donā€™t think enough about their decision. Looking on Reddit, TikTok, fb, etc. is generally where you can find this stuff and drive yourself insane. Hope this clears things up a bit!

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
Thank you for bringing up this vital yet difficult topic for thought and discussion.

Before getting a bird, people should ask themselves what their personal goals and plans are, especially for the next five to ten years. Going to school? Getting a demanding career job? Buying a house? A condo? Renting? Getting married? Having children? Getting dogs or cats? Traveling a lot? Do they envision an active social life going out a lot in the evenings? All of these things can affect your ability to provide a home for a Forever Bird. We can't look into a crystal ball but our plans and goals are good predictors of what our lives will be like in the future and whether they will be compatible with parronthood.
Peo
People absolutely HAVE to think about what they want to do and have in the future and the animals they want in the future. And while no one can predict the future, plans and goals are a good indicator!

Most Reactions

Latest posts