airline approved in cabin carrier recomendations

Savoy61

Mar 7, 2021
California
Parrots
Pita: Lilic crown, btwn 34-38 yrs old
Paco: orange wing: btwn 32-34 yrs old
Hello. I need to fly with my two amazons across country. (CA to VA) a Lilic Crown and and Orange wing (both over 30 yrs)
I had obtained a hard sided carrier but it turns out it is just a few inches too big. I hesitate to get a soft sided carrier as I am terrified it will either collapse on the fids or they will chew holes in it.

I am hoping to be able to get a red eye that way they will be ready for bed and be less stressed.
any recommendations on in cabin approved carriers that will fit under the seat? and best way to rig it for bird travel?

thank you very much in advance for any suggestions.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
You can use zip ties etc to strengthen cages-- same with stainless mesh etc.

I think under the seat will be tough unless you buy 2 seats. I can't imagine it being easy to fit a single amazon under a seat.

No chance of taking a multi-day road trip and staying in bird-safe cabins that aren't drenched in chlorine and teflon like hotels?

Avi-calm is a supplement some give to their birds, but if you try it, I'd start it a eek or 2 before you go and add it to wet food (not water).

If you do pet cargo, just know that it is, in my opinion, very risky and that your bird will likely be very stressed afterwards. They do not need to be around strange birds/diseases or other pets..especially in strange temps with strange noises and vibrations and then rolling along the runway when some stranger loads them onto a cold or very hot cart....that is generally cargo. I did it once with Noodles and wouldn't do it again, but she was fine in the long run. We did it because she couldn't fit under my seat.

The only way I would travel with Noodles in pet cargo again would be if I knew that she would be re-homed without me. She is super attached (as am I )..I would try to plan for temperate weather too.

First class might have larger spaces under their chairs-- I was in coach.

Last edited:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Your airline of choice will have very specific requires for in cabin size requirements. IF, they will allow you to fly at all with your Parrots. Rules are changing and you will need to stay on top of what they are allowing. Get the requirements to confirm you can take them onboard! I have seen folks use a cat carrier, but that was for a single Parrot.

As stated above, you may have to have a companion with you and/or purchase a second seat, so that each Parrot has its own carrier and space.

If your plan is to place both Amazons in the same carrier that is going to be very limited space and you have have good friends find new levels of dislike for each other.

Personally, I would assure that I have current Avian Medical Documents stating my Parrot(s) is healthy (tested not more than 30 days prior to flight) with me. And, I would have my Parrot micro chipped to prove age and ownership.

Last edited:

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Check airlines. As of a month ago when we were looking, NO airlines were doing cargo animal transport. We just moved from Maryland to Texas, and wanted to fly but couldn’t because there was no way to transport my eclectus with us.

I’m not aware that their policies have yet changed.

khaiqha

Sep 19, 2012
Lewisville, TX
Parrots
Alexandrine Ringneck,
about to be getting a Jardine's
I fly with my Jardines all the time. Here's my advice:

1) This is the carrier I fly with.

https://www.celltei.com/products/in-cabin-airline-travel-bird-carrier-standard-size.html

I have tried other, cheaper carriers, and my Jardine's has chewed his way out of them. At an airport, my Jardine's actually crawled onto my shoulder because he chewed his way out of one. The celltei carrier is made with stainless steel mesh, no chewing out.

2) If you're flying in the US, you're limited to United Airlines or Delta. I prefer Delta. It's $125 per animal each way.

You are only allowed one carrier per person, and I highly recommend you have your Amazons in different carriers, so you will need two people. Delta doesn't require paperwork (they don't allow cockatoos), but you must call and reserve a space for your animal, as only 6 animals are allowed per flight, none in first class.

In addition, if you fly on a smaller plane, you might have less space for the carrier, though every plane I've gone on, the celltai has fit just fine.

3) Get an aisle seat. It allows you to swing the carrier under the seat easier.

4) TSA will require you to remove the bird so they can screen the carrier. Ask for a private room. Be warned, some airports have open topped private screening (atlanta) and I almost lost my Jardine's because of it. You will need to have your bird trained very well to get in and out of the carrier. Practice with your bird doing long card rides in the carrier first.

5) I don't put food or water in the carrier, too much risk of stuff getting knocked around. I put newspaper in the bottom, no toys. You can feed almonds / grapes by opening a side zipper.

6) Know the rules. Most flight personnel and tsa don't know their own rules regarding birds, so most of the time I explain their own policies to them, which helps (ie: hey, can I get a pet tag for my carrier, I need private screening to remove my bird, etc).

7) The celltai carrier has flaps you can close to keep it dark for the bird. should help if your bird starts to get noisy.

8) Be on the lookout for people with fake service dogs. It's better now that airlines have changed policy on emotion support animals, but I used to have so many incidents of dogs at airports trying to kill my bird through the carrier. Never had a problem with a legitimate service dog.

My Jardine's is a seasoned traveler and has flown more than most people have in their entire lives. Flying with a parrot is pretty fun and my guy enjoys it but there was definitely a lot of training and practice involved to make sure things worked out smoothly.

Last edited:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Terrific advice above!

Check specific airline website for companion animal in cabin page. You'll need to determine aircraft type ensuring maximum size limits. (some regional airline affiliates fly smaller aircraft with severe restrictions - important to know unless cross country flight is nonstop.) Some seats disqualified from pet carriers such as bulkheads and sometimes emergency exit rows.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
All I can add is that Celti, who make the Pak-o-Bird, make primo items. My PoB is excellent and worth every penny it cost.

Most Reactions