Albie's diary!

Stitchthestitch

Parrot of the Month ๐Ÿ†
Feb 9, 2020
Manchester, uk
Parrots
Albie - Pineapple Green Cheek Conure - Hatch date 14 Dec 2019 - Gotcha date - 4 March 2020
Hi, I hope everyone is doing OK and are keeping safe. Albie has decided he wants to keep a diary, so that's what We are going to do! And it will save me flooding the conure sub with albie updates haha. So... Here is albie, he will be telling you all his thoughts and what he gets up to.

Hi everyone, I'm albie and I'm a pineapple green cheek conure. I am now 7 months old.! I'm currently loosing my feathers which mum seems obsessed with putting in this glass thing. What's with that? It's weird. I'm really itchy but mum gives the best scritches ever.

Im a brave bird. I'm not scared of anything... Well unless it's the big sucky thing that eats all my seed. What if it eats me!? There was a a weird black thing and it's feathers looked really odd but it had pretty green eyes my window. It was cool to watch. Mum also got me some new toys but she said I couldn't have them right away as I had to "get used to them" nah... I wanted to play with them right away so I did! Mums the best she always gives me the coolest toys! Like my brown chewie wall, that's my favorite.

Mum had some more featherless 2 legged flat faces over last night, I've seen them a few times but they always had these weirdky feathered 4 legs with them. Im not allowed out of my house when those 4 legs are here because they might eat me. That's stupid cuz I think I'm faster then they are and they look fun to play with but mum says no. Any way I was allowed out of my house to say hi to them. One of them had scary claws but it seemed OK, it gave me sunflower seeds so I think it's OK. The other flat face was nice, we had snuggles but then it annoyed me by trying to move me (I don't know why I was happy and warm!) so I chased it's claws away and bit it's weird wing to tell it off. Mum doesn't do what that flat face did so I had to tell it off.

I bit dad by accident though. I was trying to climb over to him but he was a bit far away and I lost my balance, I think I really hurt him as he had red stuff leaking from his featherless skin. I didn't mean to, it was an accident! Dad didn't seem mad, he seemed worried about me and made sure I was OK. I feel bad about it.

Then mum and me had some sleepy cuddles why we were looking at the big dark window with more flat faces on it. After a bit mums eyes were leaking, I don't know why buy she seemed sad so I gave her extra warm snuggles, she seems to really really like them. Then after a bit we played "gotcha your toesies" it's great fun! I like it when mum sings to me, I try to join in! It makes mum and dad happy.

Mum taught me a new trick! I can hop through a hoop now.its fun especially when I get a sunflower seed, it's my favorite.

I have a question for you birds, why is it when mum has some super yummy stuff, I can't have it? Like this yummy looking brown water with white stuff on top, it looks amazing but she said I cant have it cuz it's bad for me. What does that mean? . Same with what they were eating last night. I had to put up with my veggies (don't get me wrong, I love my veggies but their stuff looks so much nicer!)

I'm going to go play now, I'll see you later, bye bye!!!

Attachments

• IMG_20200628_091310.jpg
    IMG_20200628_091310.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 121

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month ๐Ÿ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Your mum will explain the world to you Albie. Trust her.

OP
Stitchthestitch

Stitchthestitch

Parrot of the Month ๐Ÿ†
Feb 9, 2020
Manchester, uk
Parrots
Albie - Pineapple Green Cheek Conure - Hatch date 14 Dec 2019 - Gotcha date - 4 March 2020
Re: Albie's diary!- day 1 of harness training.

Albie has done really well for his first look at his new harness.

He didn't spook when he saw it and came over and started playing with it. I then pushed him a little more just to see how he would react to him putting his head through the head hole. He did so very very willingly for his sunflower seed. I draped it over his back and he just looked at it and then went back to trying to get his sum flower seed box open. We repeated the head in head out routine 5x before calling it a day as I didn't want to push him too much. We only spent 5 minutes with it but he did really really well!

OP
Stitchthestitch

Stitchthestitch

Parrot of the Month ๐Ÿ†
Feb 9, 2020
Manchester, uk
Parrots
Re: Albie's diary! Harness training - day 2

We decided to continue his training this morning. He already associates he harness with sunflower seed. As ssoon as he saw the harness box he flew over and started chirping excitedly, like he wanted the training.

It looks like I need a new treat for his general training as it's clear that sunflower is very very valued in albie's eyes.

We kept the session short again, getting him to put his head in and out repeatedly and draping it over his back every so often. He didn't like that part and would try to back up out of it, except on the last attempt, he looked at it for a few seconds before backing up so that's progress. We needed it with another head in and out routine so we ended with success and lots of praise. I feel like he's doing really well with it.

He seems so fearless!!

OP
Stitchthestitch

Stitchthestitch

Parrot of the Month ๐Ÿ†
Feb 9, 2020
Manchester, uk
Parrots
Re: Albie's diary! Harness training - day 3

It's pretty much just a repeat of yesterday except :he's now putting his head through the loop with out prompting and is tolerating it better being draped over his back! Again sessions are still being kept really short so he doesn't loose interest and we always end on a high note.

OP
Stitchthestitch

Stitchthestitch

Parrot of the Month ๐Ÿ†
Feb 9, 2020
Manchester, uk
Parrots
We have given up with the current harness. Every time I think we're making great progress, the moment I try to get his wing through his little wing holes he totally freaks out. Once I get it off him he runs to me and snuggles in close for comfort. I don't think he likes this particular style so I'm ordering him one from leathers4feathers on Monday. After speaking to the wonderful lady who makes them to oreder, we've decided to give it a go.

He's learnt a new trick. He now does a flip round my finger! We do bat bird then get him to continue round rather than dropping on my lap. He is such a smart little dude. I love him so much.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month ๐Ÿ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
I think you are making good progress with the harness actually. I'd keep up the head in loop and draping it exercise. TO put the wings thru you need to have the parrots total confidence and ease in you handling them a lot, otherwise they can freak out. Do you play wrestle with Albie? Its a good way to get both of your confidences up . As you may or not know, it took me a whole YEAR of everyday training to get Salty to be OK with putting it on and off with minimal issues. And we still do the head loop and draping thing almost every night during training sessions.

OP
Stitchthestitch

Stitchthestitch

Parrot of the Month ๐Ÿ†
Feb 9, 2020
Manchester, uk
Parrots
He loves play wresting with me and he will more than happily roll off my shoulder into my hand as he knows I won't just let him drop. I just hate seeing him panic so much.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month ๐Ÿ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Just take it slow. Hell, Salty cut me up pretty good with his claws the first couple of times we managed to get the darn thing on all the way.

OP
Stitchthestitch

Stitchthestitch

Parrot of the Month ๐Ÿ†
Feb 9, 2020
Manchester, uk
Parrots
I shall keep trying with it then.

Most Reactions

Latest posts