Alexandrine or Indian ringneck?

Mouse4988

Mar 2, 2015
Hull
Parrots
Alexandrine
Is my bird an Alexandrine or Indian ringneck???

Hi all. I was wondering if someone could possibly help me. I recently purchased my first parrot and I'm really excited about it. He's been sold to me as a 4 month old alexandrine however I believe he has all the characteristics of a ringneck and as the birds are so similar I just don't know what I have. I know alexandrines have maroon patches but my bird doesn't have them. Could this be because he's still young. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Mike image.jpgimage.jpg

Last edited:

Davidcsky

Apr 22, 2014
Malta
Parrots
Barney, Quaker Parakeet who joined us as a 4 week old baby on the 15th July 2013 & Mannie, Alexandrine Parakeet who joined us as a 4 week old baby on the 8th of April 2014
Hi :)

to me he looks like a ringneck, but still a beautiful one :)

Minimaker

Jul 29, 2014
Illinois
Parrots
GW Macaw-Sailor, Goffins Cockatoo Mako, GC Conure-Tazzy, Turquoise Conure Yuki, Budgies-Percy, Annabeth, Elsa
That looks like a ringneck to me too.

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
Tha is not an Alex, sorry, the beak is all wrong, the head, the body, the color, you have been duped. However , CONGRATS ON YOUR NEW IRN! I like them better anyway, and their bluffing see,s to be far less severe. You may have gotten robbed on the price though, if you paid for an Alex and got an IRN.

zazubirdy1

Jun 22, 2015
Brisbane
Parrots
Zazu - Male Alexandrine Parrot
Yeah mate, this is an Indian Ring Neck. You can tell by the size of the beak. Alexandrines have a very large beak compared to the IRN. Hope this helps.

Parrotman68

Jul 13, 2015
Hi. Unfortunately all to common a con. You're not the first and will not be the last. I've even heard of people cutting the tails of ring necks to pass them off as a baby Alex. Terrible what people do to make a few quid quickly. I find Alexandrines to be such gracious gentle creatures one of my favourites. IRN are lots of fun also, welcome to the wonderful world of parrots.

Most Reactions

Latest posts