Amazon body language

jbirge

Dec 9, 2013
Media
Montrose Colorado
Parrots
Double Yellow Amazon
my favorite from my Zon is wheneverre I've been away for a day or so he'll perform the huka huka danc ewhere he struts back and forth on his perch bobbing his head whistling and saying helloo at thefirst opportunity he'll jump on my shoulder and start in with the regurgatation rag. dancing on my shoulder regurgitating a vile kind of goo which of course is him treating me as his flock mate and giving me a tasty treat! no no I have not tried a sample!

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
What does it mean when your Amazon blows up his cheeks like the Pillsbury dough-boy and makes gurling sounds? The rest of the body seems relaxed, no puffy feathers anywhere but at the cheeks and throat. Also, the eyes are pinning while the cheeks are blown-up. Any ideas?

LMAO! Sorry, can't help it, but do you think you can get this on video?? When you say blowing up the cheeks, do you mean all the facial feathers are ruffling up?

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Wing flapping: (Usually accompanied by squawking.) If your bird is standing upright, and flapping at you, it generally means: “HEY DUMMY, I’M TRYING TO GET YOUR ATTENTION HERE, AND I’M GETTING FRUSTRATED BECAUSE YOU DIDN’T NOTICE.”

Here is a pretty good example of this behavior:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsh-XzLYY8I"]Parrot body language to play - YouTube[/ame]

Giggleagain

Jul 5, 2014
Media
Missouri
Parrots
All my rescues: Pepita, Rocky and Eva, my Quaker Parrots Clover and Sweet Pea, YNA Willie Buttons, and TAG Coca.
Here I am again with more doubts on Willie the Butt. I'm mostly concerned about him not being "handled". I fear that he will get even more aggressive if he doesn't get cuddles and scritches. I just can't cuddle and scritch a deadly weapon because I need my hands and arms for work. I am just so spoiled because Clover and Mr. Peabody are touchable and mostly open to all kinds of interaction without having to fear a bloody outcome. Arm protector: even with an arm protector Willie would still have access to....my neck. Willie is a BIG boy, he wouldn't even have to stretch to get at my face. I'm thinking more along suit of armor :)

I have a very hard time reading Willie because his demeanor changes so abruptly, and seemingly out of the blue. I've been watching what I do constantly and have been able to avoid bites, but admittedly only because I keep a safe distance. He can go from interested and calm to wild-eyed and puffy-headed in less than the blink of an eye. Am I misreading that? Does that just mean "i'm very interested" instead of "I'm about to take off your nose"? I've watched several videos on the tube and see that other amazons interact with their serfs while wild-eyed and puffy-headed, and I'm thinking that I've turned into a whimp. I will have to make a video of the type of interaction I'm having with master Willie, so you can tell me whether I'm just a coward, or whether I'm reading him correctly.

OP
Birdman666

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
wing flapping: (usually accompanied by squawking.) if your bird is standing upright, and flapping at you, it generally means: “hey dummy, i’m trying to get your attention here, and i’m getting frustrated because you didn’t notice.”

here is a pretty good example of this behavior:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsh-xzlyy8i"]parrot body language to play - youtube[/ame]

that's classic amazon pick me up right this very second!!!

Giggleagain

Jul 5, 2014
Media
Missouri
Parrots
All my rescues: Pepita, Rocky and Eva, my Quaker Parrots Clover and Sweet Pea, YNA Willie Buttons, and TAG Coca.
Wing flapping: (Usually accompanied by squawking.) If your bird is standing upright, and flapping at you, it generally means: “HEY DUMMY, I’M TRYING TO GET YOUR ATTENTION HERE, AND I’M GETTING FRUSTRATED BECAUSE YOU DIDN’T NOTICE.”

Here is a pretty good example of this behavior:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsh-XzLYY8I"]Parrot body language to play - YouTube[/ame]

Yes, Willie does that but I do ignore him, because if I approach him he'll turn Amazon-Bully on me.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Here I am again with more doubts on Willie the Butt. I'm mostly concerned about him not being "handled". I fear that he will get even more aggressive if he doesn't get cuddles and scritches. I just can't cuddle and scritch a deadly weapon because I need my hands and arms for work. I am just so spoiled because Clover and Mr. Peabody are touchable and mostly open to all kinds of interaction without having to fear a bloody outcome. Arm protector: even with an arm protector Willie would still have access to....my neck. Willie is a BIG boy, he wouldn't even have to stretch to get at my face. I'm thinking more along suit of armor :)

I have a very hard time reading Willie because his demeanor changes so abruptly, and seemingly out of the blue. I've been watching what I do constantly and have been able to avoid bites, but admittedly only because I keep a safe distance. He can go from interested and calm to wild-eyed and puffy-headed in less than the blink of an eye. Am I misreading that? Does that just mean "i'm very interested" instead of "I'm about to take off your nose"? I've watched several videos on the tube and see that other amazons interact with their serfs while wild-eyed and puffy-headed, and I'm thinking that I've turned into a whimp. I will have to make a video of the type of interaction I'm having with master Willie, so you can tell me whether I'm just a coward, or whether I'm reading him correctly.

Kiwi doesn't like to be petted or cuddled (by me at least) whatsoever. He may *tolerate* it because he trusts I won't harm him, but he certainly doesn't like it. Many amazons don't. They tend to be either super cuddles or super hands off. Right now, you should put less focus on cuddling and petting him and be working on getting him to a point he can be handled instead. For now, step up drills with a stick, before moving on to the (protected) hand or arm, and only after he is a proficient and consistent stepper upper :) may he go to the bare hand/arm. Trust building goes both ways:cool:

As for the bi-polar mood changes, typical male zon. That is why it is important to focus on the stick training before anything else (for a safe way to handle a less than happy boy). Over time as you build a bond and trust, it will get less dangerous, but this is just a personality trait of amazons. What you don't want to do is let him intimidate you. Then it will become an issue. For now, when he gets "big bad bird mode", calmly return him to his cage on the stick for him to calm down (he can come back out when he's feeling nicer).

I know it's tough, especially when you hear (seemingly:20:) so many stories of "Oh, I adopted Polly the parrot and he was so mean and vicious, but 2 days later he was cuddled up in my lap and my new best friend". That does happen for some folks, but for many, it's a long and tedious process to establish trust and build a bond. Don't give up though, so long as you keep working with him, Willie will get better with time:)

OP
Birdman666

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
"You didn't pick me up fast enough. You need to be punished, so that next time... you'll do as you're told!" :D

Sounds like an excitement issue. He wants too, but he's to excited to do it without latching on...

Last edited:

Sterling1113

Feb 15, 2014
Dallas area, Texas
Love this thread. It's funny, nearly all of these also describe my Pionus. Which makes sense, considering they're pretty much amazon-mini. (I.E less likely to sever fingers on a whim).

He'll do the "strut", hunched over, wings and tail flared, poofy cheeks and beak open whenever he is "defending" his cage. (Especially if we open the cabinet or pantry too quickly, before he can make sure its free of home invaders.)

He also does the "happy to see you" and "leaning so far I'm almost falling of my cage, so you better come pick me up this instant, because you know I can't fly well."

He's less of a "puffed up nape and head bent over for scratches" and more of a "assert myself to the nearest shoulder and shove my face in your ear/eye/nose/whatever I can reach". :rolleyes:

And I didn't notice it till you mentioned it, but you're completely right, he has NEVER bluffed. I can read him before he bites, that's how I managed to get away with only one minor nibble in the past year, but he has never lunged without intent to latch on. Lol. And my poor husband is usually subject to this, because, LIKE AMAZONS, he doesnt understand over stimulation = I will bite because I'm excited. And it just so happens, him coming home from work is a very exciting time of day. :p

OP
Birdman666

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Yeah, I call them Amazon-Lite.

Same basic behavior patterns though. Less severe hormonal behaviors.

OP
Birdman666

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
I'd have to think about that one...

I've always thought of macs as pretty straight forward. And it in some cases with a mac, is less about the body language by itself, and more about just familiarity with the bird, and the body language in context of the situation.

A spikey head, and eyes pinning may mean I'm goofy, and happy to see you... It may also mean that I'm territorial and becoming pissed...

Going big bird usually means I'm fixin' to attack. It could also mean, "I'm wound up, let's play."

Bluffing can be play and/or an invitation to play. Or it can mean back off, you make me nervous. Or it can mean I just wanted to see how you would react, and whether you were afraid of me. Or it can mean this is my territory I'm going to rip your lips off...

Without a context... what good is this information?! "Could mean a lot of exact opposite things" Is not a very useful post. You're bleeding?! In your case, I think it meant that the bird was about to bite you... :D

I can usually tell just by looking at them, which birds are going to attack me, and which aren't. But it has more to do with overall mannerisms... the way they hold themselves when I approach. Certain looks...

It's less a universal truth.

There is no line of death dance per se... with a macaw.

BUT when you have a territorial macaw, IT IS JUST A GIVEN that a stranger entering the territory uninvited will get lunged at. TAKE IT AS FACT, AND TAKE STEPS TO PROTECT YOURSELF. YOU JUST KNOW...

OP
Birdman666

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Captain obvious!!! at your service...

OP
Birdman666

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
You're welcome.

Yeah, the key to successfully working with an amazon is to understand what they are trying to tell you. If you ignore the non verbal cues, you'll trigger a lot more bites, and you'll occsasionally really piss the bird off...

The information needs to be out there, for free, so that people can interact with their birds safely. More breeders should have something like this on their sites...

Amazons are one of the most "dumped" parrots simply because people don't understand what they are dealing with...

They're outgoing birds, very entertaining, clownish,and social, they self entertain well, they're not pluckers... you just have to occasionally take "not right now" for an answer.

What's not to love?!

You can poop train them, and train them not to bite. Once you do that, you've got a buddy for life.

Michymoo

Jan 2, 2015
Helmdon
Parrots
Blue fronted amazon
Excellent post!! I have a bfa, who's very hormone at the moment, this will prove most useful in the coming days/weeks!!

Can I ask, today I ask him to set up giving the standing up straight with foot up, but as he stepped up on to my forearm he lungged bite me, to which I calmly took my hand anyway, he went back to a normal one foot up stance, to which I guess right I'll get myself and mum out of the room slowly, as I left the room he decide right I'm going to lean forward, wings quiver and I'm off flying towards me!! Am I just not reading the signs or is this all hormone up and down symptoms? his tail feathers are all coming thur atm, hasn't been doing any sexual mating signs.

I've been to the vets and they have unfortunately diagnose him having ebloi with in his stomach, which is I hope down to the pervious owner lack of proper diet and care, as I've spend the last year curing a nasal infection and improving his weight, both of which the vet has said she is very impressed with the recovery, could this infection be part of the hormones too as he's only started to become aggressive over the last three days towards me?!

Any help is very appericated! Sorry for any spelling errors, it's rather late in England right now haha, plus Americans rock at parrot care, much better tha UK sites!!

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
verry acurate for my YNA but...

My YNA bingo matches to a T almost all the behavior in the first post.
Pacho my Red lored amazon does not match up.
I always thought the reason for the differences was because she is female but it could be the previous owner was not patient or kind with her.

The biggest difficulty is she can go from enjoying a good neck scratching to trying to remove a finger in a heartbeat. I don't let her get to close to my face, I can't afford plastic surgery.

When she is happy to see me she hunkers down and quivers her wings. I have never seen her dance and she does not talk but she whistles pretty bird and a wheee hee hee hee laugh that is quite loud.

I have watch sparrows and I have seen the wing quivering behavior. I always thought it was a fledgling asking to be fed or a female asking a male to feed it. ether one could be an explanation for Pachos behavior.

As for the quick change in receiving a neck scratching to a good old CHOMPING,:11: a previous owner hitting her could be an explanation. I just don't know.
:green1:
texsize

ScooterMcTavish

Jan 12, 2016
Great White North
Parrots
Monty - DYH Amazon, Rhubarb - Galah, Verdi - Canary
As a new Amazon owner (and a new parrot owner) this post is great.

When I leave the living room and he wants to find me, he calls. When I call back, and he knows where I am, he launches himself from the top of his playstand, flies as far as he can, waddles up to me, and lifts his foot for me to pick him up.

No matter what he may have done, or will do, that little foot in the air with a look of expectation is the sweetest thing I've ever seen from any of my pets (canine and feline included). It reminds me of when my girls were little, and they greeted me at the door with arms raised, and an enthusiastic "Daddy!".

Carabella

Jan 19, 2015
Louisville, KY
Parrots
Benjamin, 40 yo male YNA. My husband has had him since he was a chick.
Lexi, 9 mo old female turquoise IRN.
I didn't want to quote Mark's entire post that started this thread, but it's helped amazingly with our curmudgeonly 40 year old YNA.

Most Reactions

Latest posts