Amazon body language

OP
Birdman666

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
I didn't want to quote Mark's entire post that started this thread, but it's helped amazingly with our curmudgeonly 40 year old YNA.

Glad I could be of assistance.

Carabella

Jan 19, 2015
Louisville, KY
Parrots
Benjamin, 40 yo male YNA. My husband has had him since he was a chick.
Lexi, 9 mo old female turquoise IRN.
I didn't want to quote Mark's entire post that started this thread, but it's helped amazingly with our curmudgeonly 40 year old YNA.
Glad I could be of assistance.

You had given me sound advice last year during breeding season. I kept my distance, didn't let myself get sucked in and have had a few really nice moments with him. We've come a long way.

I let him out and stand with my hand resting on top of his cage when he's climber to the top. I'll gently touch his beak, then stop. Touch, then stop. I let him come to me. I'm willing to risk a nip if I'm not sure, but a great cue is when he nibbles and puts his head down. We scratch a bit then I'll ask him to step up.

View attachment 16204

New Year's Eve was amazing. We cuddled for 45 minutes or so. When he was done he flew off.

Last edited by a moderator:

BIRDIGIRL

Jan 25, 2016
Mayo Ireland
Parrots
Rodney Blue Fronted Amazon
RIP Mr Biggles White Fronted Amazon , Elsa and Little Nellow the Lutino Budgies, Lady Primrose a Pied Budgie and English Budgies Houdini Popeye and Olive
Marks post is also helping me to understand my White Fonted Amazon and what he is trying to say to me and has given me confidence to aproach him with my hand. Thank you Mark as a new first time Amazon owner I find your post at the beginning of this thread invaluable.

ScooterMcTavish

Jan 12, 2016
Great White North
Parrots
Monty - DYH Amazon, Rhubarb - Galah, Verdi - Canary
OK, I reread the post, and noticed Monty does something not on the list.

Occasionally when he gets excited (and sometimes when being spray bathed), he gets erect, picks his wings up halfway, and starts waddling around making a unique "girr-up" sound. He may then flap his wings a few times, but keep them out and "girr-up" a few more times.

He seems happy and excited when he does this - and he doesn't seem aggressive (at least not manifested through biting, etc). The other day, he did the "girr-up" on his playstand a few times, flew to me, stood on my shoulder and hit me in the head a few times with his wing, held his wings part open and girruped, marched from one shoulder to the other via my chest (I was slouched in the chair), girruped a few more times, then one of this kids came and retrieved him.

What's up with this? It's charming, but I have zero idea what he's trying to tell me.

OP
Birdman666

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Two of my zons do what I call the "happy flappy" when they're getting baths... which is essentially flapping the wings, and screaming the second the water hits them, or in some cases, the second they see the shower turned on...

KIWI still does the "I'm flapping in a direction away from the shower" routine.

That's the opposite of the "happy" flappy.

That's the "I'm gettin' outta here" flappy.

Grr-upp sounds like your bird's version of the happy flappy.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
When Monty does this, are his movements almost in slow-mo? My Sam does it more so than my Hunter (female). I actually have to REALLY watch him when he does it in slow-mo (same GRRR sound you describe), because he may either be over-excited or he's about to get REALLY happy. :)

Here's Sam bathing, making the sound. and doing the wing thing...is this it?

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kro66Yt4ujQ"]Sam bathing - YouTube[/ame]

ScooterMcTavish

Jan 12, 2016
Great White North
Parrots
Hey Wendy,

Nope, it's all regular motion, though he will hold his wings open once they're out. It's kind of an "hold open-girr-up-flap rapidly-hold open-girr up" kind of cycle. Not really a GRRRR, more of a comedic noise.

When I've seen him get over-excited, it's a bit the opposite. He turns into a silently rapid bite-machine. Then he gets the scoop and stuff into his cage until he calms down.

He's only about 8 months old, so safe to assume he's way too young to get REALLY happy?

JosephNAsenath

Banned
Banned
Feb 10, 2016
Va/NC
Parrots
Carlos 7 year old Red-crowned Mexican Amazon, Jazzy 1 year old Severe Macaw, and 6 budgies; Joseph & Asenath, Naomi & Ruth, Mary & Elizabeth
So I guess it's not a bad thing when my Zon puffs up, he puffs up on his perch and raises one leg inside his feathers. Sometimes it appears he shivers, yet I keep it around 74-75 degrees in here. :p

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Kristin, both my Amazons sleep on one foot, head tucked in their back. It's perfectly normal. :) And no, your baby is not cold at that temperature. We keep our house at 68 in the winter - no issues.

ScooterMcTavish

Jan 12, 2016
Great White North
Parrots
Hey Wendy,

Just noticed you posted the video. Other than tonal differences (Monty's noise is less raspy), that's pretty much what he's doing. I'm assuming happy here.

Kristin, Monty also picks up a leg and poofs up when he's relaxed. It seems to be a 'zon equivalent of a "Do not disturb" sign.

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
...Kristin, Monty also picks up a leg and poofs up when he's relaxed. It seems to be a 'zon equivalent of a "Do not disturb" sign.

It's what parrots do when they're in chill mode. You might hear beak grinding while they're in this position as well. It's a good thing. A bird only does this when relaxed.

OP
Birdman666

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
hey wendy,

just noticed you posted the video. Other than tonal differences (monty's noise is less raspy), that's pretty much what he's doing. I'm assuming happy here.

Kristin, monty also picks up a leg and poofs up when he's relaxed. It seems to be a 'zon equivalent of a "do not disturb" sign.

i love that analogy! "do not disturb sign." That is EXACTLY what that means.

PERFECTLY CONTENT! DO NOT DISTURB!

Last edited:

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
When Monty does this, are his movements almost in slow-mo? My Sam does it more so than my Hunter (female). I actually have to REALLY watch him when he does it in slow-mo (same GRRR sound you describe), because he may either be over-excited or he's about to get REALLY happy. :)

Here's Sam bathing, making the sound. and doing the wing thing...is this it?

Sam bathing - YouTube

Dang Wendy..says your video is not available :confused:

Jim

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Amy poofs up too...the feathers around her legs get all poofy...My mom used to say her "pontoons" are out..don't ask my why :rolleyes: lol and yes she stands on one leg at times too. And the flaapy/happy thing at bath time :p

Jim

CKP

Feb 16, 2016
Atlanta, Georgia
Parrots
Maverick - BFA (hatchdate: 05/04/2016)
What's a head bob mean? This morning Maverick (new BFA, came home to us yesterday) was doing a slow rhythmic head bob thing. Didn't seem to be distressed, just did it for a while and I still have NO IDEA what anything he does means haha although I've learned that standing on my hand leaning forward my shirt means "I'm preparing to launch myself like Spiderman into your hair and create a giant knot with my adorable tiny feet"

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
What's a head bob mean? This morning Maverick (new BFA, came home to us yesterday) was doing a slow rhythmic head bob thing. Didn't seem to be distressed, just did it for a while and I still have NO IDEA what anything he does means haha although I've learned that standing on my hand leaning forward my shirt means "I'm preparing to launch myself like Spiderman into your hair and create a giant knot with my adorable tiny feet"
Congratulations on the new addition to your household!

A head Bob could be him working to regurgitate food from his crop (if he was feeling particularly close to you or someone/thing nearby). Or it could be him working something uncomfortable out of his crop... though that's unlikely since he didn't seem distressed. It could even be him bobbing his head to music! (Maya does that all the time! Lol!)

Can you get a video of him in action?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

CKP

Feb 16, 2016
Atlanta, Georgia
Parrots
Maverick - BFA (hatchdate: 05/04/2016)
I'll try to get a video next time. It didn't seem to be in correlation with any food, and it was just when he was sitting on the floor with me slow-bobbing away! I'll keep my phone handy next time I see it.

Kentuckienne

Supporting Vendor
Oct 9, 2016
Middle of nowhere (kentuckianna)
Parrots
Roommates include Gus, Blue and gold macaw rescue and Coco, secondhand amazon
Love this user manual! Oliver the BF used to do something slightly different. He had a cage with a large wood, rimmed platform on top. Every now and then he went into wiggy mode. Feathers slicked tight. Head bent forward and turned sideways. Shoulders raised, but wing tips crossed tight behind his back making a perfect heart shape. Then he goes in circles sound the top of his cage. I interpreted this as "Be afraid. Be very afraid."

A similar behavior was to bend his head down, apply the top of the beak to the wood tray, and drag the beak around the edge of the tray making a scraping noise. I translated this as "MY. SPACE. If you attempt to interfere you are clearly insane and need bitin'." I haven't seen these behaviors described anywhere - has anyone else seen their Amazon do this?

[ame="https://youtu.be/Y8Rf6ILQ_CM"]https://youtu.be/Y8Rf6ILQ_CM[/ame]

On a nice note, he knew how to drive. Lift foot, ask for pickup, lift foot and point palm in the desired direction. Put foot down as human totes you in that direction. Stop and look out window, behind door, etc. as desired. When ready to move on, lift foot again to indicate direction. When approaching a final destination such as favorite perch, lean forward, quiver wings, rapidly lift foot, point, put foot back down. Repeat all these actions as rapidly as possible. When close enough, leap onto perch, turn, and growl at human. Rest assured that human enjoys playing parrot taxi and will come running when it's time to move on.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts