Amazon hormone season

nkrbkr

Supporting Member
2x Parrot of the Month 🏆
Joined
Jun 18, 2025
Messages
614
Reaction score
1,183
Location
Canada
Parrots
Button- 3yo peach-faced lovebird (opaline turquoise ino)
Ava- 8yo Amazon hybrid (yellow-crowned x yellow-shouldered)
Hello fellow Amazon lovers. Happy New Year! Ava has been with us for a bit over six months now. She’s got a wonderful gentle, very silly personality. That said, we have yet to go through a hormone season with her, and I’m bracing myself. Ava will always take any opportunity to scope out nesting spots, which we promptly remove her from, but I feel like it’s starting to pick up a bit in the last week. She’s getting a bit more persistent about digging around in the throw pillows on the couch, or poking around in dark spots. I’m always very careful with her diet and weight (nuts, seeds, & fruit as treats only), but I’m totally cutting out fruit treats for the foreseeable future, in case we’re gearing up for mating season. I’m in Canada, so we’re in the depths of the darkness of winter currently, and she gets 12+ hours of darkness a night regardless. I’m curious when you all find hormone season starts for your Amazons?
 
For Bingo my YNA it was right now. End of December to mid January.

For the Twins it’s been around April.

Because Bingo was a boy nesting spots didn’t matter, no egg laying was possible. And handling him when hormonal was …….mostly not a problem.

I don’t know what to expect this year with Cheddar thrown into the mix.

Merlin never showed the slightest interest in….
Um…. Mating with Luna. Luna does everything but shoot off a flair and Merlin is like… “would you please move out of the way”.

I should have a few months before we hit hormone season and if Cheddar IS young he (or she) might not be a player. I find myself thinking of her as SHE, just a gut feeling.
 
Yep, Salty has already started. Looks like another humdinger too.
 
My dream bird is one that is neutered! I know, dream on.
 
For Bingo my YNA it was right now. End of December to mid January.

For the Twins it’s been around April.

Because Bingo was a boy nesting spots didn’t matter, no egg laying was possible. And handling him when hormonal was …….mostly not a problem.

I don’t know what to expect this year with Cheddar thrown into the mix.

Merlin never showed the slightest interest in….
Um…. Mating with Luna. Luna does everything but shoot off a flair and Merlin is like… “would you please move out of the way”.

I should have a few months before we hit hormone season and if Cheddar IS young he (or she) might not be a player. I find myself thinking of her as SHE, just a gut feeling.
Thanks! Is Cheddar a bit on the smaller side? I was wondering if he might be a she as well, considering how interested Merlin seems to be.
 
Yep, Salty has already started. Looks like another humdinger too.
Oof…sorry to hear that. Ava is all sorts of wound up today. She already took a poke at my hand this morning, which caught me off guard. She’s not a biter, typically. Looks like it’s going to be fun around here for a while.
 
Thanks! Is Cheddar a bit on the smaller side? I was wondering if he might be a she as well, considering how interested Merlin seems to be.
Yes Cheddar is smaller.
Merlin was just as interested in Bingo a confirmed boy.
It was just a complete lack of interest from Bingo in return that kept things……balanced.
 
Yup, my yellow heads are in full on mating mode.
 
I have to wear a hoodie during mating season so I can withstand the breeding urges. Now they are slowly calming down.
 
Agreed. Slowly winding down. Salty again this year has plucked a small patch on his chest about the size of a quarter, but its filling back in again, now. He also was relentlessly seeking out dark hiding spots, last and this year, and that too is starting to fade. He's had a hard time of it this year, what with the passing of my wife, who was a companion to him. Not his person: thats me, but she was almost constantly in his presence. He is coping, same as me, in that regard.
 
I am knocking on my head. I think because Nameliss was so ill, I missed the biggest part of hormones. She's still recovering weight. Maybe that's occupying her energy.
 
Luna is behind the curve this year.
Normally breeding season for my Mexican redhead amazons is April.

Cheddar is too young.
Merlin was honking and clucking mid April.
Luna only started the very end of April and she is still walking around on the floor of her cage doing the funky chicken dance.

So late Breeding season and not too severe this year.
 
Back
Top Bottom