- Oct 23, 2015
- 4,802
- 7,103
- Parrots
- 1 YNA (Bingo R.I.P.)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
3 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
Cheddar
2 Congo AG (Bella, Clara)
5 Cockatiels
I have a problem with my three Amazon’s Merlin, Cheddar, and Luna.
Before December of 2025 Merlin and Luna shared a cage fairly happily.
Grooming each other and sharing out of cage time.
Luna liked Merlin more than the other way round.
In December I brought home Cheddar.
Merlin decided Cheddar was his new BFF and Luna got shut out.
Now Merlin is sharing the cage with Cheddar and Luna has to remain in a separate cage.
I had hoped things would settle down over time but so far no.
Luna is unhappy.
When I let Merlin/Cheddar out I can see in Luna’s body language she wants to be out with them.
When I give in its……pandemonium (well not quite that bad).
Merlin chases Luna around the house no matter where Luna chooses to fly to.
If I give Luna separate out of cage time she just sits on the cage door and grooms.
Or naps.
Is it dangerous to let them out together?
Is it better to let them “work it out”.
They can all fly and Luna knows when Merlin is flying with bad intentions.
She just takes off and relocates.
Merlin is DNA male.
My other two are unconfirmed gender. I always thought Luna female due to her behavior during mating season.
Cheddar is too young and have seen no hormonal behavior yet but I assume she is a girl (no real reason just a gut call).
I have only tried once or twice to let Luna and Cheddar out with Merlin locked in the cage. I don’t know how to….read the body language and high pitched noises coming from them and I didn’t let them get too close. It didn’t look completely friendly and Cheddar is at a disadvantage because her flight feathers are still growing in.
She knows she can’t fly well.
Before December of 2025 Merlin and Luna shared a cage fairly happily.
Grooming each other and sharing out of cage time.
Luna liked Merlin more than the other way round.
In December I brought home Cheddar.
Merlin decided Cheddar was his new BFF and Luna got shut out.
Now Merlin is sharing the cage with Cheddar and Luna has to remain in a separate cage.
I had hoped things would settle down over time but so far no.
Luna is unhappy.
When I let Merlin/Cheddar out I can see in Luna’s body language she wants to be out with them.
When I give in its……pandemonium (well not quite that bad).
Merlin chases Luna around the house no matter where Luna chooses to fly to.
If I give Luna separate out of cage time she just sits on the cage door and grooms.
Or naps.
Is it dangerous to let them out together?
Is it better to let them “work it out”.
They can all fly and Luna knows when Merlin is flying with bad intentions.
She just takes off and relocates.
Merlin is DNA male.
My other two are unconfirmed gender. I always thought Luna female due to her behavior during mating season.
Cheddar is too young and have seen no hormonal behavior yet but I assume she is a girl (no real reason just a gut call).
I have only tried once or twice to let Luna and Cheddar out with Merlin locked in the cage. I don’t know how to….read the body language and high pitched noises coming from them and I didn’t let them get too close. It didn’t look completely friendly and Cheddar is at a disadvantage because her flight feathers are still growing in.
She knows she can’t fly well.







