Amazon or not

Abdur

Jan 16, 2018
First let me get something straight I am twelve and I am going to be thirteen since I was 6 I have done 6 years of research on cockatiels (2 years) Amazons (3 years) and cockatoos (1 year) I have owned parrots for 2 years so am I ready for an Amazon :green::green1::gcc:or get another specie

Last edited:

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
unfortunately as much research you have done you are not ready for a big parrot. Whilst it may be nice very soon your life is going to change a lot, with school changing, different friends, other interests. Then you will get into work, college ETC ETC If your parents want to have a pet parrot then you can help look after and play with but it is purely your parent's decision to make.

there's no rush getting a big Amazon, even at your age to get one now as a baby would mean you will have them for the rest of your life, which hey twice your age I find daunting! You're gonna just have to be patient and wait until you're older (I know every adult says that) but it's really not long and you'll know if you are committed to the idea

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Sorry, but 13 is the wrong age to get a parrot, any parrot. Continue researching, volunteer at an avian rescue, participate on bird forums but wait until you are at least 18 and have your own home to get an amazon!

reeb

Oct 23, 2017
Media
Albums
Cape Town, South Africa
Parrots
Berry (♀ Cockatiel) hatched June 2017
Opal (♂ Budgie) hatched 13 August 2017
Pearl (♀ Budgie) hatched 15 August 2017
+ an aviary of 16 other budgies! all hatched 2014-2017
The trouble with getting a parrot that can live up to 50 or more years when you are a young teenager is that you do not know where you are going to be in your life as you grow older. This leads to many situations of parrots being rehomed due to changing life circumstances that do not suit having a bird as a companion. For example, I have a friend who got his African grey at the age of 15, and had plenty of time to spend with it until he was 20 and moved to a different city and couldn't take his bird with him. Now he hardly sees his bird (and it is very unhappy as it had bonded exclusively with him) and has lost interest in him. The thing is, you have no idea where you are going to be when you're older, and making a commitment to a bird is a serious decision. Birds require an enormous amount of daily attention due to how social and intelligent they are, and without this they will live very unhappy and unfulfilled lives. If you were to get an Amazon now, you would be taking on the responsibility to commit yourself to something that requires daily attention and care for the next 40 to 50 years (sometimes even more...), without yet knowing your financial situation, your university or employment commitments, throughout your entire life. For example, I am in my early 20s and although I have a strong desire to add a galah cockatoo to my flock, I know that I am not yet at a stage in my life that this is viable.

I understand your desire to have a bird, but taking on an Amazon or Cockatoo may not be the best choice for you at this stage in your life. Even so, smaller species like Cockatiels and Conures can live up to 20 to 30 years respectively, and even budgies can live well into their teens. I'm sure others will have better advice and their own opinions, but in my opinion the commitment to a bird like an Amazon needs to be made in adulthood, when you are at a stable stage in which you know you can commit yourself to your bird fully.

I hope this helps.

itzjbean

Jan 27, 2017
Media
Iowa, USA
Parrots
2 cockatiels
You'll need several thousand dollars in store in order to buy an Amazon, buy a huge cage, the necessary toys, food and things they need to be happy birds. At thirteen you simply cannot provide the kind of lifestyle an Amazon needs. They are incredibly intelligent birds that are not like dogs or cats, they want to be respected and will let you know when you do something wrong to upset them. They can be very moody and can be hard to train without the right experience.

Please wait another ten years after your life has become more stable -- these guys live a long time, 40 + years, and you will need to provide daily interaction, food preparation and monthly toys. That's not including vet visits to make sure amazon is healthy.

I highly recommend you keep researching and find a local bird rescue in your area to volunteer at, would be an excellent idea at your age to get some experience. There, you will be able to get to know the Amazon species (should the rescue you go to have some) as well as different species big and small. They are a huge responsibility but volunteering takes away that responsibility but gives you the experience to understand their body language, the sounds they make, the way they interact with each other and you.

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
You'll need several thousand dollars in store in order to buy an Amazon, buy a huge cage, the necessary toys, food and things they need to be happy birds. At thirteen you simply cannot provide the kind of lifestyle an Amazon needs. They are incredibly intelligent birds that are not like dogs or cats, they want to be respected and will let you know when you do something wrong to upset them. They can be very moody and can be hard to train without the right experience.

Please wait another ten years after your life has become more stable -- these guys live a long time, 40 + years, and you will need to provide daily interaction, food preparation and monthly toys. That's not including vet visits to make sure amazon is healthy.

I highly recommend you keep researching and find a local bird rescue in your area to volunteer at, would be an excellent idea at your age to get some experience. There, you will be able to get to know the Amazon species (should the rescue you go to have some) as well as different species big and small. They are a huge responsibility but volunteering takes away that responsibility but gives you the experience to understand their body language, the sounds they make, the way they interact with each other and you.

Well said! Nailed it right on the head!

Jim

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
The full family of mid to large Parrots represent a major financial undertaking.

And, if your Parrot should need more than the yearly Certified Avian Vet (CAV) visit and testing, the costs can sky-rocket rapidly.

If your Parrot becomes ill or injured, and you need to rapidly transport s/he to a CAV, who is going to provide that transportation?

The reality is: The Parrot would be your Parent's Parrot with your helping! They would be the ones buying the Parrot, its large cage, assembling that large cage, buying the needed 'foods', toys, natural branch perches, and paying the vet costs.

First year costs are in the multiple Thousands of dollars, with each additional year costing easily additional thousand to thousands of dollars. And those costs never go away, never!

Most families are not in a position to undertake those kind of costs unless they are willing to 'Own The Parrot Themselves!'

Find a local Rescue and provide your time for the next eight to nine years! You will quickly find that you will need to know far more than you ever once believed.

Insert: Go to the Amazon Forum and Read with detail the Second Thread titled: I Love Amazons - ... (found in light blue at the top of the page)

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts