Lilac Crown Amazon Lost feathers on head

Fmayen00

Mar 17, 2024
Parrots
Lilac Crowned Amazon
Hello,

I have a 20 yr old male Lilac Crown Amazon named Coco. We adopted him about 2 months ago and the past couple weeks he’s been losing feathers on his head. His diet is Harrison food pellets with collard greens and some occasional fruit here and there. Has anyone seen this before or dealt with this. I am setting up an appointment with my avian vet but closed on Sundays and I’m concerned. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_2423.jpeg
    IMG_2423.jpeg
    180.9 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_2200.jpeg
    IMG_2200.jpeg
    175.5 KB · Views: 22

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Entirely possible, and looks like it's just a bit of a heavy molt. There's lots of new pin feathers coming in there, so unless he's digging them out or rubbing on things to remove them again, it's likely okay. It doesn't take long for the new ones to open up, and he'll be looking like his beautiful self again. If you're suspecting that there's another cause for him to be losing them, that's a different issue. They can't pluck there as it's impossible to reach, unless you have another bird doing that to him. Again, different issue. Please keep us posted :)

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Hello,

I have a 20 yr old male Lilac Crown Amazon named Coco. We adopted him about 2 months ago and the past couple weeks he’s been losing feathers on his head. His diet is Harrison food pellets with collard greens and some occasional fruit here and there. Has anyone seen this before or dealt with this. I am setting up an appointment with my avian vet but closed on Sundays and I’m concerned. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Great photos, Welcome to the forum and being owned by an Amazon.

It looks like just two outer layer feathers are gone .
they are very small and will grow back in no time.

my two red headed Amazons will occasionally over groom each other around the head. Comes back fast.

OP
F

Fmayen00

Mar 17, 2024
Parrots
Lilac Crowned Amazon
Thanks for reply guys! I grew up with a red lord Amazon and I don’t recall him ever losing his feathers like this. That’s why I was concerned but seems as this is normal.

Most Reactions

Latest posts