Is my bird sick? Weird noise from baby Amazon!!

Claires

Dec 23, 2023
Parrots
Blue Fronted Amazon
Hi there, I just got a baby amazon parrot like a week ago (shes about 9 weeks now) and she/he started to make weird noise that’s kinda sounds like someone is laughing. I did notice she also made that sounds when I’m taking her home, but since there are heaps of bird in the store.

I read on several forum that Amazon starts to mimic noises when they’re about 3 months old or older, so now I’m so worried, she’s is sick or something.

Can anyone help me please? I’m worried. I had experience with cockatiels but not with Amazon, and I just lost my tiel, and now I’m just stressed if my Amazon is sick…

Last edited:

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Looks like she is begging to be fed.
She may need to be fed baby bird formula in a spoon for a while.

OP
Claires

Claires

Dec 23, 2023
Parrots
Blue Fronted Amazon
Looks like she is begging to be fed.
She may need to be fed baby bird formula in a spoon for a while.
Ohhh I see.. thank you! She’s 9 weeks, should I only feed her formula? Because the breeder told me to also feed her seeds & fruit & veg, but she’ll ended up playing with the food instead of eating it…

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Feed her formula until she rejects it.
but continue to offer adult food too.

super important to keep her fed.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Truly get answer from my good friend above.

With the transition you baby will revert a bit and providing formula will help assure your Amazon that all is okay and s/he will not starve!!

Did you receive a Document Set with your baby Amazon! All baby Amazons in North America are to be accompanied with a Hatch Certificate that states the Hatch Date, the Species of each parent, contact information for the Breeder and if sold by a reseller, their contact information as well. Commonly, this document set includes the DNA test the defines its Sex.

OP
Claires

Claires

Dec 23, 2023
Parrots
Blue Fronted Amazon
Truly get answer from my good friend above.

With the transition you baby will revert a bit and providing formula will help assure your Amazon that all is okay and s/he will not starve!!

Did you receive a Document Set with your baby Amazon! All baby Amazons in North America are to be accompanied with a Hatch Certificate that states the Hatch Date, the Species of each parent, contact information for the Breeder and if sold by a reseller, their contact information as well. Commonly, this document set includes the DNA test the defines its Sex.
Hi… unfortunately not, I live in Australia… there’s no paperworks whatsoever, DNA will come out early January.

keikoasmom

Jul 6, 2013
Hi there, I just got a baby amazon parrot like a week ago (shes about 9 weeks now) and she/he started to make weird noise that’s kinda sounds like someone is laughing. I did notice she also made that sounds when I’m taking her home, but since there are heaps of bird in the store.

I read on several forum that Amazon starts to mimic noises when they’re about 3 months old or older, so now I’m so worried, she’s is sick or something.

Can anyone help me please? I’m worried. I had experience with cockatiels but not with Amazon, and I just lost my tiel, and now I’m just stressed if my Amazon is sick…
View attachment 56867
That's the baby parrot noise! Our BF Amazon made that noise too when she was little and she still does it now when we have had to feed her Roudy bush baby formula when she was sick! And as soon as I played that video she started making noises back! She wants to take care of that baby! That is such a cute sound!

keikoasmom

Jul 6, 2013
That's the baby parrot noise! Our BF Amazon made that noise too when she was little and she still does it now when we have had to feed her Roudy bush baby formula when she was sick! And as soon as I played that video she started making noises back! She wants to take care of that baby! That is such a cute sound!
Sorry I didn't read the other replies before I replied. I agree that she sounds hungry and we fed our bird every 4 hours for a while. I don't remember the timeline but I'm sure information is online. But we also introduced Zupreme pellets and not too many seeds but they had a bowl of mash, different grains and chopped nuts and sunflower seeds ( no salt) a little bit of fruits and vegetables like sweet potatoes chopped, kale or spinach chopped a bit and our birds like some bits of apple and seem to like raisins and cranberries in their food too. Mostly oatmeal and I use a muesli that has fruits and nuts for the base but try different things! Don't leave it out for more than 4 hours though, and make sure that she has bowls of water available and clean those two or three times a day. She is a wild creature and needs to be fed and watered often and sometimes we forget that we are replacing a rainforest. Best of luck.

jessem101

Jun 9, 2021
as others have mentioned she's hungry and doesn't seem to be fully weaned. Be sure to check the bird's weight daily to make sure she isn't losing too much weight. If the amazon starts to lose too much weight, bring her to the vet.

every week the parrot should be gaining some grams, until the bird is at its ideal weight.

Most Reactions

Latest posts