And We have some progress here!

Kamarro

Sep 12, 2021
Parrots
Conure and Budgie
Hey guys!

I wanted to give a little update on ā€œtrainingā€ today my Clyde didnā€™t want to go back into his cage! It makes me feel so happy that heā€™s comfortable with me to the extent of not wanting to go back to his cage. šŸ„°

Weā€™ve been working on step up and heā€™s nailed that one down and will step up with out hesitation, and today I went to put him back in his cage and he didnā€™t want to go back. Yesterday, he was preening with me around him outside of his cage (I felt so honoredšŸ˜…)

These are pictures from weeks ago and looking at him heā€™s was still so unsure about everything and today he looks so curious and not withdrawn.

I donā€™t know whoā€™s training who but we both have made huge strides in our birdly journey. I love him so much.

He now comes with me to do my morning get ready for work routine which has helped a lot as he gets a treat and left alone with me there with him in the same space but not being held.

P.s we moved to a more a ā€œactiveā€ area to help desensitization, heā€™s been introduced to my wild 2 year old and weā€™re not quite ready for that energy but still doing very well. Also The nipping has stopped!

Here are some pictures of my little Clyde.
507238EF-A9A5-4807-841B-0DCD189771A4.jpeg
449B0168-EF14-4068-A505-B0515A0473A0.jpeg

Kitekeeper

Jun 19, 2021
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Parrots
Budgerigar (Bud), Pacific Parrotlet (Sam), Roseicollis lovebird (BJ and Turq), Linneolated parakeet (Charlie and Emma)
Good to know you are having a good time. :) Sometimes I do think too that the one being trained is me.:D

Great pictures! The second one that is mostly greyish with only Clyde and his ball coloured is really cool!! It reminded me that black and white movie where the only coloured frames were the ones with the red Betta rumble fish :)

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
It so important that a parrot learns Step Up, almost to the point where its almost an automatic reaction. You can never tell when you might need to get him in an emergency. Don't forget to reward for doing it! Even if its a verbal Good Bird!

OP
Kamarro

Kamarro

Sep 12, 2021
Parrots
Conure and Budgie
It so important that a parrot learns Step Up, almost to the point where its almost an automatic reaction. You can never tell when you might need to get him in an emergency. Don't forget to reward for doing it! Even if its a verbal Good Bird!
Always! Itā€™s been the first thing we work on! He always get verbal praise but he still doesnā€™t take treats from me right away.

OP
Kamarro

Kamarro

Sep 12, 2021
Parrots
Conure and Budgie
Good to know you are having a good time. :) Sometimes I do think too that the one being trained is me.:D

Great pictures! The second one that is mostly greyish with only Clyde and his ball coloured is really cool!! It reminded me that black and white movie where the only coloured frames were the ones with the red Betta rumble fish :)
Thank you! My best friend took that of him! Itā€™s my favorite šŸ¤©šŸ¤©

BirdAddictK

Sep 26, 2021
Congrats Kamarro!I am loving your little GCC on the shoulder! I'm planning to get one this November. If you've taught you bud step up, that is great progress, indeed. Now it's time to start 'fly to me'. The way to teach fly to me is to use step up. Get him to step up once or twice. Then get him to step up from a little distance. Then make it to an extent that he needs to hop a bit. Then make it flying distance. When your bird understands that they need to fly ot you, introduce the cue'fly to me'. And keep repeating the motion with the cue.
Vidwos available on this on YouTube.
Watch ElleandtheBirds.
Watch FlyingFids.

Most Reactions