Anyone here have ducks and know how to clip their wings?

Jcas61

Well-known member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Joined
Jan 9, 2023
Messages
1,003
Reaction score
1,850
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
So, I have four Khaki Campbell ducks I got last year who I originally free-ranged. They have a small pond and a very nice duck house all to themselves. The problem is, they started to get the wanderlust last year and ended up down the road in a creek. How they even found it I don’t know, but now their nice pond isn’t enough. They want the creek!

I put up bird netting to keep them in which was working until my boss duck, Dolly started flying over it. The other ducks are too heavy to fly that high, but they will push at the netting until they find a loose spot and get out to join her. If Dolly stays in, the others seem content to stay in as well.

I was thinking of giving Dolly a wing clip and wondered if anyone on here has ducks and clips their wings. Does it work? A lot of what I’m seeing online is to only clip one wing but I know for pet birds that’s not usually recommended. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance. Also pics IMG_2117.webpIMG_2118.webpIMG_2207.webpof the duck pond and house and the little jail breakers themselves šŸ™‚
 
Please don't clip one wing- it throws them off balance and the ultimate can get hurt. To trim its the same as trimming any birds' wings. Hold the wing out and trim a few inches from the end of the longest flight feathers. If that's not enough you can always trim a little more. Ducks are pretty heavy so it should be enough.
 
Please don't clip one wing- it throws them off balance and the ultimate can get hurt. To trim its the same as trimming any birds' wings. Hold the wing out and trim a few inches from the end of the longest flight feathers. If that's not enough you can always trim a little more. Ducks are pretty heavy so it should be enough.
That’s what I thought! I was confused why all these duck people were saying to only clip one wing? It didn’t make sense to me. Thanks for confirming that! Still not sure if I’m going to clip her or not. I just don’t want them running down the road to the creek and getting run over or something. But if I can figure out how to keep everyone else contained in the fence then Dolly won’t go far from them even if she does get out. We’ll see.
 
Back
Top Bottom