Anyone’s budgie ever pluck out a wing or tail feather and then eat it??? πŸ€¦πŸ»β€β™€οΈ

CosiGirl

Apr 2, 2022
Parrots
Budgie
Ok so this morning, Cozy had snapped off either a tail or wing feather and presented it to us very proudly in her mouth. Before we could get it from her, she swallowed the whole thing! I didn’t think that was physically possible. Now I’m concerned about the impact on her crop, digestive system etc. She seems fine right now, but what the heck?

MayMaroa

Feb 13, 2022
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Parrots
2 female budgies i have a green named tofu she is 1 years old(she turned one years old in April) and i have a blue budgie named sky she is the younger one she is younger then tofu by a few days
Oh my god i never heard of that happening i don't know if it has an impact on her crop or digestive system
i am so sorry that happend

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Ok so this morning, Cozy had snapped off either a tail or wing feather and presented it to us very proudly in her mouth. Before we could get it from her, she swallowed the whole thing! I didn’t think that was physically possible. Now I’m concerned about the impact on her crop, digestive system etc. She seems fine right now, but what the heck?
Oh my word, that is crazy!!!

I heard birds sometimes eat feathers if they have a deficiency of some sort, but I think in this case she was just experimenting.

How big was the feather?

OP
CosiGirl

CosiGirl

Apr 2, 2022
Parrots
Budgie
Update: we may have found the feather yesterday. I’m telling you, it really looked like she ate it. I think she did some slight of hand on us. I found a feather that looked like the one she had in her mouth (I think) a few hours later on the bottom of her cage. It was not there when we first looked but maybe in our panic we missed it. Either way, that sucker was probably 2-3 inches long and sharp. πŸ˜…

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Update: we may have found the feather yesterday. I’m telling you, it really looked like she ate it. I think she did some slight of hand on us. I found a feather that looked like the one she had in her mouth (I think) a few hours later on the bottom of her cage. It was not there when we first looked but maybe in our panic we missed it. Either way, that sucker was probably 2-3 inches long and sharp. πŸ˜…
She wouldn't be able to swallow such bug feather, she would've choked.

Well, I guess false alarm!

OP
CosiGirl

CosiGirl

Apr 2, 2022
Parrots
Budgie
She wouldn't be able to swallow such bug feather, she would've choked.

Well, I guess false alarm!
I know that’s why we were freaking out LOL πŸ˜‚ We have a tiny magician on our hands πŸͺ„

OP
CosiGirl

CosiGirl

Apr 2, 2022
Parrots
Budgie
Oh my god i never heard of that happening i don't know if it has an impact on her crop or digestive system
i am so sorry that happend
Thanks May! As you have read, she fooled us!

Most Reactions