Anything I should know before getting another quaker? For my original

Thehuffle

Oct 20, 2023
Media
Parrots
Huffle the grey Quaker parrot, poe the white & blue budgie, 2 breeding cockatiels
2 conures.
I have had Huffle my male quaker for 2 years nearly 3 and he is bonded and loves to sit with me. However we have a pair of inside breeding cockatiels wich are my brothers and this year it has awakened the urge to parrot breeding which I've always dreamed of having a breeding pair of quaker parrots. It has taken lots of thoughts of this past year and I have finally warmed up to getting a female for huffle but here lies the worry about him getting too attached to this girl and losing all bond he has had with me. But I have always wanted this and have already messaged the seller to see if she still has the parrot but I wanted to see of what everyone's thoughts were.
There will be lots of more threads about this so please stick around. 😅

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
That is a very real possibility. Look thru the threads here, there are many abut how a new addition changed the dynamics of their relationship with the original parrot.

ALso, breeding is not to be done lightly, its easy to kill or have the parents kill the chicks. And even tho you have a male and a female, they might not breed.

Think about this a LOT before proceeding.

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
It sounds like you and Huffle ( cute name!) have a really good relationship. Bringing in a female Quaker will almost certainly change that relationship. Why risk ruining a good thing? If you really want to breed, it would be better to start out with a bonded pair. You said you’ve put a lot of thought and research into this but are you dead set on Quakers? Starting off with smaller birds who have a shorter lifespan ( like budgies, for example) to get some experience might be something to consider.

Most Reactions

Latest posts