Arrrrrrrrggggggggg, Makes Me So Angry!

Ratzy

Apr 7, 2010
Media
Hamilton, Victoria, Australia
Parrots
See siggie :)
It makes me so mad that people STILL think that budgies are simple and easy to look after!!! WHY!? I have a friend who owns a budgie. It lives in a cage which is tall, not wide, has an all seed diet, no out of cage time, and is sick and in the middle of a draught!! Everybody I know says, 'Oh, I don't want a budgie, they have no personality and are too easy to look after. All you have to do is put them in a cage with seed and water.' I can't stress too much how that isn't true!! I prepare my budgie's food after school. It then goes into a sealed container until morning. I have no time to do it in the morning because of school but I still take the time to prepare the veggies and fruits. It takes me HALF an Hour! Last night I did beetroot, apple, spinach, carrot, carrot tops and corn ( I try to give them variety ). After school I play with them, let them climb all over me and give them treats and syringe feed them :D. They get a massive clean out 1-3 times per week ( perches replaced, toys cleaned, fresh gum branches, ect.). In that time they get a free flight either in my room or the shower room. In warm weather, they get baths over the weekend.
Yet people ignore me when I tell them budgies aren't decorative, they're for life!!:mad:
Just my little rant.:p

Colorguarder08

Banned
Banned
Mar 8, 2010
Washington State
Parrots
Riley-white faced grey cockatiel (hatch date 6-28-2014) RIP Halloween-pied cockatiel
Ratzy all I can say is people will not listen to someone who is 12 no matter how RIGHT you are. Which is sad cause that means the animal suffers. And I'd love to say eventually they will listen but well they won't. Like for me dogs always have been and always will be my first love (when it comes to animals) and I know more about most breeds than most people yet when I take my dogs to the dog park I ALWAYS get the I'm older so I know more attitude from people it got so bad that I told one couple that they either get there kids away from my dogs (one was hitting their dog with a stick and started chasing my dog with it and the other was putting it's hand in the other dogs mouth while she was growling or I would not stop my dogs when they attack them and the parents had the nerve to tell me "what are you 15? we know dogs and yours are golden retrievers they won't ever bite" So I immediantly responded with really so then you know the 3rd most commonly reported breed to bite and cause a need to seek medical attention is the golden retriever. Sorry got off on a rant there but my point is that if you keep up your clear passion for these birds maybe you can help educate even one person which would help the life of that one persons bird(s)

wildheart

Banned
Banned
Mar 16, 2010
South Africa
People are selfish and think animals are there for their entertainment. I can go on and on and on - but, I prefer having a nice day today.

It was however so lekker to read about you and your kids, it made me smile. You are an awesome person and will accomplish more than what you imagine when you are older. A little ambassador for our non human kids.
toyou.gif

parrotqueen

Jan 14, 2010
Media
United States
Parrots
Pineapple & Sunshine--Gray/wildtype male cockatiels
Ratzy, I understand your frustration completely. You're right, the younger people are so often underestimated. It's really sad.

I also want to comment on your fabulous care; good job! You must have the happiest, most pampered budgies in the world. They don't know how good they have it. And your care definitely shows, because I've seen the pristine conditions and healthy birds in all of your pictures. If only more people would be this responsible for their budgies! And really, I see this lack of responsibility and knowledge with many other birds. Even larger birds, like macaws; I often see some that are ill or are horrible pluckers. It's so sad. Birds feel stress, and they feel both emotional and physical pain just as we do. They're living creatures, and we need to treat them like what they are.

I won't forget the story that Apatrimo94 told, it was really sad. There was a little conure in a small cage, separated from the others. They were charging a very small price for him, in hopes of getting rid of him quickly. Why did they want to get rid of him? Because he was, and I quote; 'stupid'. Just because he sat on his perch and had a calmer disposition than all the others, and didn't play with his toys, they assumed he was just 'stupid'. When Apatrimo tried to talk to the manager, the store's manager was unreasonable and agreed with the others that the bird was 'stupid'. Nothing was done to help the bird, if I remember correctly. :mad:

Heck, I can't even call a bird an 'it'. :p

I know what you mean!!!! My sister has an acount on Yahoo Answers, and some of the bird questions are ridicoulous.
Look at these:
Can i leave my parakeets alone for 2 days? - Yahoo! Answers
Do budgies height grow? - Yahoo! Answers

I find the second question quite hilarious! :D

That's funny and sad at the same time, isn't it? :D

apatrimo94

Jun 15, 2010
Media
Hudson Valley, New York
Parrots
Bartleby-Pearl Cockatiel
S'mores-Albino Parakeet
Ratzy, I know how you feel. I'm in the exact same position as you are. I'm 16 and I have a budgie myself! I get it from people a lot saying that I take way to much care for them that they don't need, especially my parents.

It's really heartbreaking when you see a bird, or any amimal in my case, being mistreated and it's hard for me to help that animal out because people are too arrogant and ingnorant to take the advice of a 16 year old.

We're both probably two, out of the few, best parakeet owners on this whole planet :)

OP
Ratzy

Ratzy

Apr 7, 2010
Media
Parrots
Thank you guys! I love my budgies, they get pampered a lot. I'm on yahoo answers as well, one question was 'How long do parrots hibernate for?' The guy had found hi parrot on the bottom of the cage, not moving, and he thought it was hibernating. I just hate it when people don't take me seriously because of my age.

parrotqueen

Jan 14, 2010
Media
United States
Parrots
Pineapple & Sunshine--Gray/wildtype male cockatiels
...one question was 'How long do parrots hibernate for?' The guy had found hi parrot on the bottom of the cage, not moving, and he thought it was hibernating. I just hate it when people don't take me seriously because of my age.
All I can say is-- Wow.

_Cass_

Mar 4, 2010
Calgary, AB
Parrots
Toulouse- Cinnamon Green Cheeked Conure
I'm on yahoo answers as well, one question was 'How long do parrots hibernate for?' The guy had found hi parrot on the bottom of the cage, not moving, and he thought it was hibernating. I just hate it when people don't take me seriously because of my age.

apatrimo94

Jun 15, 2010
Media
Hudson Valley, New York
Parrots
Bartleby-Pearl Cockatiel
S'mores-Albino Parakeet
...one question was 'How long do parrots hibernate for?' The guy had found hi parrot on the bottom of the cage, not moving, and he thought it was hibernating. I just hate it when people don't take me seriously because of my age.
All I can say is-- Wow.

I sort of pity this guy's stupidity. But what can you do.

JawzX

Aug 22, 2010
Media
Vermont
Parrots
8 year-old second-hand Alexandrine Parakeet Buddy (aka Baby, aka Ms. Prissy Beak)
I just have to say it's great to see you kids (i can use that term now, I'm 32!) being poractive, thinking, and contributing to a cause you believe in. And not just in an offhand "this is what I think people want me to do", but a REAL way. Keep up the good work, and the pursuit of your passions. I hope your parents are very proud of you both, even if they don't always understand your bird crazyness ;)

OP
Ratzy

Ratzy

Apr 7, 2010
Media
Parrots
I just have to say it's great to see you kids (i can use that term now, I'm 32!) being poractive, thinking, and contributing to a cause you believe in. And not just in an offhand "this is what I think people want me to do", but a REAL way. Keep up the good work, and the pursuit of your passions. I hope your parents are very proud of you both, even if they don't always understand your bird crazyness ;)
Thank you!!!! :D:D
I've just found out that my school kills the possums:eek::eek:! Lol, now I have to sort out a protest:rolleyes:.

By the way, I just realised that the budgie in my avatar and sig is the same bird.

bogo1

Jun 22, 2010
Media
Albums
Missouri
Parrots
Sam (GCC)
Gem (CBC)
Merry and Teechka (parakeets)
and non FIDS:
Harvey and Jed (dogs) Jolte and Churney (cats) Twister and Mac (horses) Nikolas and Aleksndr (ducks )
As a fellow budgie lover, I have to weigh in.

I echo all who are impressed with you and your beautiful birds. The one that you use as your Avitar? Is she Skye? I also have a budgie named Sky...a different kind of blue with the white sort of splashed on her. She is 15, nearly 16...and dying gently of (according to my Avian vet) old age. She is happy and comfortable and her companion, a thirteen year old budgie, takes care of her along with me. Merry, her life long buddy, gives her the best food...she LOVES thistle and grapes... even when she is too fragile to go to them herself. I will put her to sleep if she seems distressed in any way (and I do know that they hide their fragility) but she is just "slowing down" and seems happy otherwise.

But let me tell you why I am impressed. It is NOT because of your age. It is because of your wisdom. You get that budgies, while shorter lived than their bigger cousins, are very much social and intellectual equals of the larger parrots. Different, perhaps, in how they express themselves, but affectionate, smart, and just as vulnerable to the careless injury of "owners" who purchase them cheaply and treat their lives with the same cheap disregard. I honestly had a friend, a genuinely nice person, surprised when I had to reschedule something with her so I could take Sky to the vet about six months ago when she had what looked like a birdie stroke. She wouldn't have questioned my taking my dog, or calling a vet to my horse, or even my taking Sam, my old conure. But the idea of taking Sky seemed odd to her and when we talked about it later, she admitted that in her family (she has five children) the assorted gerbils, parakeets, mice, and turtles that had passed through their lives over the years were sort of "disposable pets". See ignorance is not about age. She isn't, although I am sure you might argue it with me, a bad person. She is merely ignorant of the rights of all living creatures and has been lulled by the idea that a cheap price tag means a cheap life. It is a sort of human conceit, if you follow me, and the source of a lot of suffering for many, many creatures stuck in the care of unaware or careless human beings.

So, I honor you and your passionate voice for those in our world that can't speak their needs and pain. I imagine your life will be spent serving in some way and the world will be a better place for it. You may be young...but you speak with an ageless wisdom.

Last edited:
OP
Ratzy

Ratzy

Apr 7, 2010
Media
Parrots
The budgie is one of my chicks, Thimble. Thank you. Budgies are just as beautiful as the rest of the bird family. I didn't understand that when I was 7 years old, because I kept hearing how budgies were 'beginner' pets, but, after keeping them, I've changed my mind. When people look for a bird, they think of macaws, conures ( no offence, they are beautiful too ), and often skip the smaller species.

bogo1

Jun 22, 2010
Media
Albums
Missouri
Parrots
Sam (GCC)
Gem (CBC)
and non FIDS:
Harvey and Jed (dogs) Jolte and Churney (cats) Twister and Mac (horses) Nikolas and Aleksndr (ducks )
Yell, Budgies may be more easily acquired, but they take lots of care to really thrive. They come in so many amazing colors and are such funny little characters with very unique personalities and voices.

Do any of yours talk? Sky has always been a chattering bird but nothing copied from humans. Merry wolf whistles, and used to go back and forth with my old conure, my first Sam, making the clicking sound of my old fashioned egg timer. Pretty funny as Sam always put in a ding when she wanted to quit the exchange.

I fear that when Sky dies, Merry will be bereft. She cares so sweetly for Sky and has been especially attentive this past year after a series of strokes has made it hard for Sky to get around. Merry brings Sky treats and has a special chirp to tell me to come check Sky out if Merry senses Sky is having a particularly difficult day. I will have to judge what to do when the time comes... and it could come any moment. I may need to get a friend for Merry. Although the conures have not shown Merry or Sky aggression since they have come out of quarantine, I really don't think just sharing space in separate cages will be enough for Merry. I really think the little bird will hurt when Sky dies and may need a new companion.

OP
Ratzy

Ratzy

Apr 7, 2010
Media
Parrots
No, I don't train mine to talk. They all live in the one cage together, so it would be pretty hard. I have three budgies that sing. One is female. Lol, she has a gender issue and thinks she is male. She feeds Chubba Chubs and tries to mount him. They got diced beetroot, spinach leaves and carrot tops today. I soaked the carrot tops and hung them up, which they love. Marigold is recovering effienctly from her wounds and being in the hospital cage. I need to improve my hospital cage but at the moment it is quite good. Your poor Sky *hugs*!!!

bogo1

Jun 22, 2010
Media
Albums
Missouri
Parrots
Sam (GCC)
Gem (CBC)
and non FIDS:
Sky says thanks for hugs. She is a pretty happy, albeit, floppy bird. The vet suggested i put her to sleep post first stroke and I thought about it, but glad I didn't in retrospect as she seems content in her own way and Merry seems happy to take care of her. Glad her injured bird doing well.

It looks like I am going to have to leave town again. Just got word a few minutes ago, so I will talk to you in a few days.

SharonC

May 26, 2010
I have two Budgies...Abbey and Sadie. They are quite intelligent little girls. They don't speak my language as when there's two birds, they often don't "speak"....However, I've learned to speak their language, or at least, understand what they are saying. Budgies can have vocabs of 1000 words or more, but I don't really rate intelligence based on how well a bird talks. I think the reason Budgies are so "underrated" is probably because they're fairly cheap, and always available. It's too bad that people don't understand the pet value of smaller birds. I love my little guys as well as my bigger bird. They are different, but special in their own ways.

Ratzy, you're doing a wonderful job. Don't worry about people who aren't as smart as you are...maybe they'll catch up one day!;)

parrotguy12

Aug 19, 2010
Media
Parrots
American Yellowface parrotlet "paquito"
Green IRN "Georgey"
2 budgies "lemon" and "sky"
shame on people that dont know how hard it is to take care of parrots, i see people on my neighborhood who have only one budgie and a small cage no toys and when is hot outside they leave the poor bird outside, i love my parrots, people should care more about them

willwelsh816

Sep 2, 2010
Media
North NJ
Parrots
One White Cockatiel by the name of Charlie

how can someone not really care about budgies, them and tiels and keets are cute as a button.

Animals don't ask you to take care of them, and those who buy them without thinking of it as a real responsibility, shouldn't have them.

i know someone who has a budgie, cutest thing in the world, and it loves him to death. Whenever it calls frantically for him, he yells "shut up bird!" I've seen him throw a shoe at the cage when he's in a bad mood and the bird wants to play with him. It seriously makes me cry inside to see that this little creatures seemingly undying love is just ignored and punished.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts