Autistic, special interest is parrots and rainforests.

MysticMacaw

Mar 30, 2022
I'm autistic and pretty much obsessed with parrots (specifically macaws) and the rainforest as well. Because this is not a popular interest to have, it's hard to find any community to talk to who can give good information. Does anyone have any sites, documentaries, resources (online or offline) where a serious interest in ornithology (I like all birds of course, I just like parrots the best) and ecology (specifically regarding tropical rainforests) is discussed ? Sorry if this is hard to read and/ or off topic for this forum.

Rozalka

May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Bourke's parrots, green cheeked conure
Hi, welcome to the forum!

Theoretically I am autistic too (Asperger's Syndrome) and I think that most people here are obsessed with parrots ;)
At this moment I remind few documentaries:
- Australia: Land of Parrots - as title says - about Australian parrots
- Parrot Confidential - from what I remember it is more about parrots as pets.
- The Unnatural History of the Kakapo - about one species of parrot - kakapos.
- Save the blue parrot - about Spix's macaws (I wanted to watch it but didn't find anywhere. Because
the film is from 2009 and it is the only extinct in the wild parrot species, now probably many information may be not actual)
- The Wild Parrots of Telegraph Hill - about friendship of a man with feral conures (if anyone knows where to watch it, I would be glad to hear this because it's on my to watch-list ;) )

Rozalka

May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Bourke's parrots, green cheeked conure
Hi there, I'm also autistic! Rozalka just gave some sites/documentaries above :)
I've gave just documentaries ;) With sites it's a bit harder to me because cos recently most parrot news I read from a Czech site. I think I can recommend articles on Parrot Daily News but I don't really use this site cos it's rarely updated

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Hi,
Welcome
We definitely love talking about parrots.
In this thread are links to scientific studies, and articles on parrots lot of reading no videos
For example , this study shows a genetic link between greys and macaws

Last edited:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Autism exists with in my family and extended family as it reoccurs generationally reaching back five generations. Thank you for becoming a member of Parrot Forums.

Macaws are part of the New World Parrot species and are common to South America. They are commonly found in the Jungles and plains lands of South America.

The term: "Tropical Rainforests," is a New Age Term that had been added to our Language in hopes to halt or distraction clear-cut Jungles of South and Central America. With the belief that using the Term, Rainforest that people would stand against the destruction. Sadly, it did not work as the term created the belief that clear-cutting such areas would be easier and. more profitable than clear cutting Jungles. NOTE: The base term Rainforest defines specific areas of the World in which specific weather occurs. Clearly heavy rains in a climate that becomes very cold and snowy in the Winter months with temperatures that are deadly for Parrots.

Individuals are drawn to Macaws because of their Colorations and Personalities. But they are large Parrots with large Bills and are able to create Sounds that equal the take-off noise of 707 aircraft, plus in one's home or apartment, which can upset individuals that live nearby.

Try looking for specific Macaws species as you will find far more specific information. Also select specific Countries of South America and read about common plants and trees in those countries.

Enjoy, there is tons of information available, just change your Search Terms a bit.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
I'm autistic and pretty much obsessed with parrots (specifically macaws) and the rainforest as well. Because this is not a popular interest to have, it's hard to find any community to talk to who can give good information. Does anyone have any sites, documentaries, resources (online or offline) where a serious interest in ornithology (I like all birds of course, I just like parrots the best) and ecology (specifically regarding tropical rainforests) is discussed ? Sorry if this is hard to read and/ or off topic for this forum.
Welcome aboard, thanks for a concise and informative intro!! ParrotForums members comprised of tolerant and insightful folks across the range of background and sensitivity.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
You have indeed landed on a website that holds interest in Parrots as it's main reason for existence. Lots of information and certainly community with people who regard their parrots as family. I hope your stay with us is long, interesting and proves to aid you in your life.

Welcome and be welcomed!

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
Welcome!!
Glad you’re here!

Most Reactions