B&G (Coqui) becomes anxious Screams when hearing noise

Lindylou277

May 3, 2012
FL & NH
Parrots
Coqui, 9 yr old female B/G Macaw
Hi All,
I inherited Coqui from my 93y/o mother in law at Christmas time. I'm a first time owner and Coqui is around 10 years old.

We have all had to adjust to each other and are doing OK. I'm still having a problem with the screaming. No problem with the morning and evening "call of the wild" but it's the screaming when i'm on the phone talking or when we have company. Even just a lady friend sitting on the porch with me will get her to scream. We are within view of her (on purpose so she feels included) and she still lets out a scream that causes us to jump! In addition if there is anyone outside in the yard that is talking she will scream at them too. That's a lot of screaming when people are moving around during the daytime.

How she can tell we are not just talking to each other or it's not the TV is beyond me. Guess it's the level or tone that is different.

Anyway ... we have not had any dinner guests since we received her. She goes to sleep at 9pm (thats when i cover her cage) and even then if a neighbor stops over she lets out a scream.

I thought over time it would get better and some of her anxiety has improved, but this one thing is not improving.

Any suggestions?
Thank you.

Last edited:

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Does it matter if Coqui is with you or away from you? In the same room or a different room?

Does she have foraging opportunities within her cage to keep her occupied?

OP
Lindylou277

Lindylou277

May 3, 2012
FL & NH
Parrots
Coqui, 9 yr old female B/G Macaw
Does it matter if Coqui is with you or away from you? In the same room or a different room?

Does she have foraging opportunities within her cage to keep her occupied?

It doesn't matter what room I'm in if she hears talking she screams even if i'm on the terrace with her. She will scream if i'm 2 rooms away from her answering the door. When I start talking to someone she starts screaming. I have to apologize to the person who's eyes pop out of their head when they hear the scream. I take phone calls outside where she can't hear me or she screams through the whole thing.

Yes she has and loves foraging. But when she hears the voices she stops playing or foraging. PS she just received her first foraging toy 3 months ago. she never had one before.

Thanks for whatever advice you can give.

Sambamama

Dec 29, 2012
T
Parrots
M
My macaw, 8 - 10 years, also does the same thing with the phone conversations! He has only been with me 5 months. He started the phone screams about 3 months ago. I just attributed it to wanting to vocalize with the rest of us. ( And there is no doubt that we get different voices on the phone, you know?) He does it somewhat when I talk loud to someone in another room too, but thankfully he is ok when we converse in front of him.

I hope in time he will subside: once he learns more about us and our house lifestyle? I have had to take calls outside myself! Lol it doesn't bug me, but it irks my husband. I am glad my macaw is very quiet in the mornings, but he does have an afternoon screechy time. I am home alone usually , so it's not a big deal. I have seen how his afternoon talks are evolving too.

I wonder if they are just getting comfortable with their new homes and they think they need to try to fit in by vocalizing? He is still so new to us that I know that we don't have the bird that we will have in another year.

We are going very, very slow. Mine just now decided that he could come out of his cage on my arm. He won't get on it consistently, I have gotten lots of bites, but thankfully he is really well stick trained.

It's all an experience. :) I really sense that as my guy is learning to accept his new home that he is opening up, talking more, and I am eager to see who he will be at the one year anniversary of his arrival!

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Short of trying to keep her occupied with toys and foraging, trying to think of ways you could get around it.

I recall an episode of "It's Me or The Dog" (I think) where two dogs would consistently bark when the owner was out driving around with them. The barking was solved by covering the windows so the dogs couldn't see out, then driving around. The dogs couldn't bark at what they couldn't see, so when the towels were removed, the dogs didn't bark.

but...... I don't think this is very effective with a bird! Far from a good idea, in other words.

I was thinking maybe having 'white noise' playing? Music, tv, nature sounds, anything so it's not quiet?

Might help, as it would get rid of "sudden noises" - but not sure how effective it may be.

If she's flighted, you can try and get her tired out before you expect phone calls and people to happen.... or maybe bathe her before those times.

I also have these links that maybe you can get some ideas from?
Good Bird Inc Parrot Training Talk: Quick Training Tips: Using Foraging to Get Good Behavior / Good Bird Inc Parrot Training Talk: parrot screaming
DVDs and Videos
?Tis the Season?..to Reinforce that Screamin?! | Lara Joseph / What a Little Flight Can Do | Lara Joseph
Living With Parrots Cage Free: Does Ignoring Really Work?
Use your words: Conditioning Sam to a new environment | Learning Parrots
Lee: Rockx - Screaming.pdf

Most Reactions

Latest posts