milkyway

Dec 28, 2022
Parrots
Green Cheeked Conure
My family and I came home from a 4-day vacation last night to find our green cheek of 9 years, Rikki, dead at the bottom of her cage. I called out her name as I entered the house, hoping to hear an ecstatic shriek in response, and instead heard nothing. I went over and she was dead at the bottom of the cage, with one foot clenched together and the other tightly gripped around the bottom bars of the cage. We have no one to leave her with when we go away, so we gave her extra food and water. She had barely touched either, and there were only a couple of poop stains at the bottom of her cage, so it's likely that she died within 24 hours of us leaving. I haven't been able to stop crying since. She was such an important part of my life and I don't know how I can move on without her. It's the next morning and I haven't been able to do anything except sit on my couch thinking about how much I loved her. Rikki loved tickles, crawling into our shirts, and getting treats. I'm so angry that while I was relaxing on vacation, she had died and was lying in her cage for days before we got back. I'm not even sure if we can get a necropsy considering that she's been dead for a few days. I'd appreciate any prayers for Rikki and advice for dealing with this situation.

Attachments

• IMG-5739.jpg
    IMG-5739.jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG-9418.jpeg
    IMG-9418.jpeg
    299.9 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG-3694.jpg
    IMG-3694.jpg
    247.2 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG-4610.PNG
    IMG-4610.PNG
    501.3 KB · Views: 56

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
Oh I'm so so sorry!!!! This must be very traumatic for you and I'm sure hurts so much right now. 💔

I'm sure your Rikki knew how much she was loved ❤️❤️ She was such a beautiful girl!

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I'm so very sorry for your loss. Your pain shows your deep love for her, they may be small but they sure sure leave a huge hole in our hearts when they pass.
In time, you will start to remember the good times with her, and though the pain is still there, it isn't as sharp.
I'm going to link something that has helped me with the loss when one of my birds have passed, and I hope it helps you as well.

Words of Comfort

Sending prayers of comfort for you, please know that Rikki has crossed the rainbow Bridge where she is flying free.

Again, I'm so sorry for your loss.

Chrissiejingles

Nov 21, 2019
ENGLAND
Parrots
Mr Jingles OWA.....RIP
I'm so sorry for your loss. It must have been such a shock for you. It does take a long time to get used to them not being there..it is gutwrenching at times. Yet slowly but surely your good memories will outweigh the shock and grief that you're feeling now. There will always be a big Rikki shaped hole in your heart but it is so clear that she had a beautiful life with you. She will be looking down on you with so much love and she will stay in your heart for always.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Sorry to read of your loss, it really hurts to lose a parrot.

I have to say this though, leaving a parrot alone, in a cage, for 4 days is not a good idea, in fact very poor idea. I say this so other new parronts and members do not think that doing this is feasible.

OP
M

milkyway

Dec 28, 2022
Parrots
Green Cheeked Conure
I'm so very sorry for your loss. Your pain shows your deep love for her, they may be small but they sure sure leave a huge hole in our hearts when they pass.
In time, you will start to remember the good times with her, and though the pain is still there, it isn't as sharp.
I'm going to link something that has helped me with the loss when one of my birds have passed, and I hope it helps you as well.

Words of Comfort

Sending prayers of comfort for you, please know that Rikki has crossed the rainbow Bridge where she is flying free.

Again, I'm so sorry for your loss.
I really appreciate the kind words and thread that you shared. It was very comforting to read it and to know that you’ve gone through a similar experience.

OP
M

milkyway

Dec 28, 2022
Parrots
Green Cheeked Conure
I'm so sorry for your loss. It must have been such a shock for you. It does take a long time to get used to them not being there..it is gutwrenching at times. Yet slowly but surely your good memories will outweigh the shock and grief that you're feeling now. There will always be a big Rikki shaped hole in your heart but it is so clear that she had a beautiful life with you. She will be looking down on you with so much love and she will stay in your heart for always.
Thanks so much. It’s definitely tough being around the house with her not here. But you’re right, she’s looking down on me and I’ll always remember her.

Most Reactions

Latest posts