Baby bird and transport

Sabbath

Apr 26, 2011
Media
I convinced my friend to drive me to my breeder on the day that I pick up my bird(1 month old) and it just hit me, do I need to get some sort of transport cage or can the bird just be held the entire car ride?

It is about a hour car ride to get to the breeder and back home.

So question again, will I need to get something to transport the bird? If so since it is a baby will a cleaned out(throughly) dog carrier*for a beagel* be fine as long as I line it with soft towels and make sure we come to no bumbs?

Rio Mom

Apr 7, 2011
Pennsylvania
Parrots
River - Green Cheek
Conure/
Pepper - Congo African Grey/

Rest in Peace Rio
Rio's breeder is two hours away from me. I brought him home in a small "cat carrier", that I of course cleaned out first, and lined with towels. I also brought a little blanket to drape over the carrier when I carried it outside to protect him from any draft. (it was a nice day, but a little chilly yet)

OP
Sabbath

Sabbath

Apr 26, 2011
Media
Ok, so I will need a carrier? Ok I'll get the dog one out andstart on the cleaning. Thank you :)

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
You know those plastic tubs for ice cream? I lined it with towel then I cover the baby with a very thin towel over the baby and close the lid. The lid have many big holes puncture through. I used to travel 8hrs away for a week and I had to bring my chicks with me to handfeed, that's how I usually bring them along. But a month old chick should be fine in a carrier.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Sabbath is doing the handfeeding. He's been told the risk involved....

OP
Sabbath

Sabbath

Apr 26, 2011
Media
I've been told the risk and if their was any way I could actually prove on how much I've actually researched and gone out to find out how to do these things perfect I would.

I know it generally frowned upon to buy a unweaned bird but I really do believe I can do it if I just keep to the precautions very precisely. I already love my bird that I haven't seen yet and losing the baby to something that I did foolishly would kill me :(!

Most Reactions

Latest posts