Baby Sun Conure losing his voice?

virenta

Jul 28, 2012
Parrots
Sun Conure-Mochi
Lovebird-Mango
about two weeks ago I adopted an 8 week old Sun Conure. I bought him from a bird fair, and the breeder agreed to sell me the bird. He gave me next to nothing on information on how to wean him. He said 4-5 tsp twice a day, and showed me the food. That's it.
He looks a little younger than that the breeder told me. He would be 10 weeks old right now, and he still has a lot of his white baby feathers.

One question is is how should I start the weaning process? I have pellets and water in his cage and he tries picking at the pellets (which I'm assuming is really good lol) I'm also giving him some millet.

Anyway the important thing I need to ask is, is that he keeps losing his voice after he eats. The first time it happened I wanted to rush him to the vet, but he regained his voice on the way to the vet. It goes away every time he eats now. Does anyone have suggestions about what I should do?
Thanks so much~!

Also here's a video of me handfeeding him, he recently started spazzing out during meals.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5NKb591qbw&feature=autoplay&list=ULM3tXdxNRuG8&playnext=2]8 week old Sun Conure hand feeding - YouTube[/ame]

friedsoup

May 5, 2012
North Carolina
Parrots
Senegal Male Bogart
Hand feeding should not be done without supervision of someome who knows what they are doing and I mean years of experience you could be sending food down the wrong way and kill your baby Please find someone who has experience in hand feeding and never buy a bird that isn't weened. Shame on that breeder!

John from ph

Jun 4, 2023
about two weeks ago I adopted an 8 week old Sun Conure. I bought him from a bird fair, and the breeder agreed to sell me the bird. He gave me next to nothing on information on how to wean him. He said 4-5 tsp twice a day, and showed me the food. That's it.
He looks a little younger than that the breeder told me. He would be 10 weeks old right now, and he still has a lot of his white baby feathers.

One question is is how should I start the weaning process? I have pellets and water in his cage and he tries picking at the pellets (which I'm assuming is really good lol) I'm also giving him some millet.

Anyway the important thing I need to ask is, is that he keeps losing his voice after he eats. The first time it happened I wanted to rush him to the vet, but he regained his voice on the way to the vet. It goes away every time he eats now. Does anyone have suggestions about what I should do?
Thanks so much~!

Also here's a video of me handfeeding him, he recently started spazzing out during meals.
[ame=[MEDIA=youtube]t5NKb591qbw, list: ULM3tXdxNRuG8[/MEDIA] week old Sun Conure hand feeding - YouTube[/ame]
Hello sir i have the same kind of problem now, i have a sunconure too somehow losses his voice, when feeding it it regain it voice again, may i ask what remedy did you do, may parrot is 1 month old, TYIA

shirlzoni

Jun 7, 2023
Parrots
Sun Conure
Please have your birds checked for aspergillosis infection if they lose their voice. That’s one of the telltale symptoms. It’s very difficult to eradicate aspergillosis once it reaches an advanced stage so the sooner you catch it and begin treatment the better. Any other birds who may have been exposed should be checked over as well. Best of luck!

Most Reactions

Latest posts