Baby yellow sided green cheek is not eating

joybhai

Jan 31, 2022
Parrots
Conure
So I recently got a yellow sided green cheek conure.It's age is about 40-45 days. I handfed it for like -
4-5 days. In those 4-5 days, when it saw the food it came screaming for food. But now it doesn't want to eat. Rather I have to make it eat. Furthermore, there is winter ongoing in my country. Can somebody help please? I love pixie a lot and I want it to get better.

Attachments

• IMG_20220130_181336.jpg
    IMG_20220130_181336.jpg
    305.4 KB · Views: 80

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Contact the breeder ask for assistance.
Warnth is critical both of the environment and of the food . If food and environment aren't the right temperament tge food stalls in the crop, and that can lead to impaction, infection, death. To hot of food can burn crop. Never place a burd on a heating pad , but you can drape one over tge top of the broader box, make sure won't burn or melt anything, make sure doesn't cause over heating of baby, but only partly over the border aquarium. Yiu need a thermometer for broader box and one for the formula
Information here

Also Information here. As we have this situation continuously and great majority of these babies die. Again I urge contact the breeder anf ask for help and resources . Find an avian veterinarian

Read this page sbd information from EllenD
Post in thread 'Ornithology: Share and discuss scientific articles on parrots!' https://www.parrotforums.com/thread...entific-articles-on-parrots.82369/post-846194

Last edited:

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
Hi there, and welcome. I would start by contacting the breeder. Maybe they can offer up some ideas, and let you know how much they had been feeding your baby conure. After that if nothing seems to amount to anything I would contact an avian vet. If there aren't any in your area I would contact any vet. That way they can check just to make sure there isn't anything serious going on. Can you tell us more about your conure, how much pixie is eating in a day (or had been), what pixie is eating, her routines?!? The reason why I ask is it may help with suggestions. I hope Pixie gets better.

D

Deleted member 42416

Hello Joy,

How often are you feeding Pixie? How many cc’s each feeding? Have you weighed her and compared to previous day? Is she still playful and active?

Last edited by a moderator:

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
What are you feeding her? Lets start there.
It is imperative that you get nutrition into her, baby parrots dont have a big reserve if they dont eat enough every day. Best is a commercial baby parrot formula and follow the directions very closely on the container. Not too thin not to thick and the right temperature. She needs to be warm, and provided some dark time to sleep. Baby parrots sleep quite a lot.

Emeral

Sep 16, 2021
Parrots
Hanhs Macaw
So I recently got a yellow sided green cheek conure.It's age is about 40-45 days. I handfed it for like -
4-5 days. In those 4-5 days, when it saw the food it came screaming for food. But now it doesn't want to eat. Rather I have to make it eat. Furthermore, there is winter ongoing in my country. Can somebody help please? I love pixie a lot and I want it to get better.

You are wise to react quickly to this situation. If she eat less, you can try feeding her more frequently. But this issue can not wait more than 1 day. I am concerned because growing Baby gain weight through increase of food intake. Hence, eating less will be fatal to health. Dehydration alone can cause death.

At the vet office.....
Common problems with hand feeding baby birds are...
1) food was too hot and burn the crop
2) contamination of the syringe leading to indigestion and reducing food intake
3) not allowing the crop to empty for at least 10hours (by stop feeding), causing sour crop

All these problems among other possibilities cause the baby to eat less.

So........to keep her strength, we must keep her hydrated. If she can drink on her own, make a solution of warm water and honey. If she doesn't drink use a dropper at the side of her beak.(do not feed this in a syringe. Her respiratory track is very close to her food track......Aspiration can cause death.)

I recommend....

1) take her to an Avian Vet with out delay
2) transportation of sick bird in winter will need warm water bottle to keep her warm.
And her temperature drop will be fatal.
3) Avian vet not just any vet

Good luck to you and your baby bird
We are here for you

OP
J

joybhai

Jan 31, 2022
Parrots
Conure
Thank you everyone for your help. Pixie is now in good shape and is really active. I will post the update when she is grown.

Attachments

• IMG_20220205_141047.jpg
    IMG_20220205_141047.jpg
    185.3 KB · Views: 70

Most Reactions