Beak length

lvitali

May 6, 2021
I have an Amazon parrot, her beak is twice as long from the point where the two parts touch to the end of the top part. Should I consider trimming? It's not annoying her, but it looks a lot different to other parrots.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Longer than normal Beak Length is not a common occurrence as normal activities should keep it within proper length. Normally, if it is a bit longer, one simply increase the number of things for them to make tiny bits.

The most concerning issue is that underling illness is likely and yes, your Avian Medical Professional should be involved completing a detailed examination and blood testing.

Note: Only an Avian Professional should ever trim a Beak!!

OP
L

lvitali

May 6, 2021
The difference in length between the bottom half and the top half is about double other parrots. She has been like this since I bought her a year ago. She is one of a proven pair, the other is fine. Her beak is the correct shape, just longer. In a human a longer nose of the normal shape would not be thought of as wrong, not sure if it matters in parrots.

I have trimmed the beak of an African grey with human nail clippers, it's very easy to do. He has a tendancy to grow it a bit more on one side. I have no desire to pay loads of money to someone just to trim something and cause distress to my birds who are obviously far more comfortable with me doing it.

I came on here for some opinions and facts, so please don't say "go to a vet". If we all just went to a vet, there would be no need for this forum.

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
I think it's always going to be appropriate for forum members to recommend a recent vet exam. Especially when the question asked is a health concern.

If it were my bird, because an overgrown beak can be caused by developmental abnormalities or illness or nutritional deficiencies or trauma, I'd definitely want to rule out any cause that would mean my bird isn't a good breeding candidate.

I think comparing a beak to a human nose isn't quite accurate - think jaw/teeth instead. We do medical procedures all the time in people to correct tooth alignment or jaw alignment issues, sometimes for cosmetics but more often to improve eating and long term jaw health, and to minimize pain when eating/sleeping. Long-term beak issues in parrots won't have exactly the same issues of course but they can indeed cause problems that also affect quality of life.

I do hope you are able to find the information you're looking for.

Last edited:
OP
L

lvitali

May 6, 2021
Well she's eating fine and is perfectly healthy and happy. I've never seen the beak cause any annoyance to her like overly long nails getting caught in something might. It's perfectly straight, not skewed to one side. I was just wondering if it should be shortened.

Last edited by a moderator:

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
If his beak is that overgrown, it could be from a lack of chewing materials, or the lack of a desire to chew on chewing materials. Parrots that engage with wood toys and others usually keep their beaks in trim as they wear down from use. A cuttle stone in the cage also helps keep the beak trimmed (if he will use it). I would make sure he is spending a good amount of time on his toys and a cuttle stone.

Trimming a beak is best done by an avian vet, as they are aware of the nerves that run thru the beak material, especially the tip.

IMHO only. It's what I would do in a similar circumstances.

OP
L

lvitali

May 6, 2021
The toys are there, she just doesn't chew much. I can't force her to chew.

Ah finally someone with information, there are nerves and blood vessels. Ok I won't trim a large amount off myself, I only usually trim the odd extra bit off, for example my african grey has a slightly squint beak and wears the end unevenly, so it's safe to clip off the bit that would have worn down.

OP
L

lvitali

May 6, 2021
I've given them lots of natural branches from trees I've been trimming in my garden (yes I checked they're safe ones). They massacred them, but I don't know which parrot did it. The one with the dodgy beak is extremely timid and doesn't do anything while I'm in the room. Most of the time I'm not in that room. I could set up a video camera.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Sometimes an extra long beak can be from a health issue like liver disease or PBFD... Sometimes a sinus infection can cause pain with chewing. ( and that infection dies nit have to be blatantly obvious ) ..amoung others
So its not always one size fits all advice.
Parrots are normally pretty good at keeping beak in shape if provided lots of different hardness type chew stuff from soft to extra hard.

And if on a good healthy diet.
Sometimes an injury or slight positioning abnormalities can lead to overgrowth...

Really a photo would help

OP
L

lvitali

May 6, 2021
She has hard to soft wood including perches and real branches, paper and cardboard. Doesn't seem interested, she's very quiet. Her partner is always climbing about, talking, chewing, etc.

Attachments

• beak.jpg
    beak.jpg
    370 KB · Views: 93

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Ok in this picture looks like green goo and wet nostril indicates infection. The beak shows not enough vitamin A in diet, as well as feathers.
Low vitamin A is linked with respiratory infections as it plays c a vital role in respiratory immunity.
Recommendation veterinarian visit to confirm and give antibiotics

Cooking sweet potatoes mine love those! Cooking carrots. Offer lots of peppers. bell and red hit chili pepper are loved by mine . If nit good at eating pellets add a little water and mash them up in sweet potatoes or oatmeal or scrambled eggs.

To me beak doesn't look to long....will see what Amazon people say

Edit . Very quiet is likely due to the fact she is sick. With respiratory infection

Last edited:
OP
L

lvitali

May 6, 2021
Have recently improved diet of all birds after vet said a grey was unhealthy (high cholesterol). She eats pellets fine, I also give fruit. Hopefully she will get more healthy. I have noticed others getting more healthy and active with the better diet.

Her nose is completely dry now. If you notice her beak is also wet, she'd just been eating pears clumsily!

Last edited:

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
no, she will not get better on her own. This is likely a deep seated bacterial infection. It is not like a human cold virus.
The fact she us also quiet shows how sick she is. Burds do everything to hide how sick tgey are.

Fruit isn't as important as veggies. But diet alone won't cure her infection. It isn't lightly that I say you need a veterinarian . As sudden death can be the next step...birds rarely go through "sick burd" symptoms and when you get classic "sick burd " symptoms they are usually 48 hours from death. If you treat her now less expensive higher chance for quick recovery...

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
The Bill structure, both upper and lower appear a bit on the long side. Just barely in the area of 'needing' attention. It is nice to have a laid back Amazon, but with a lack of interest in turning big things into tiny bits, this can be the results.

If the interest continues to be on the 'lack of side' you are likely faced with a regular trimming of the upper and lower Bill structure. Assure that you have only a trained Avian Profession complete the work as a bit to much can result in pain and not eating.

OP
L

lvitali

May 6, 2021
no, she will not get better on her own. This is likely a deep seated bacterial infection. It is not like a human cold virus.
The fact she us also quiet shows how sick she is. Burds do everything to hide how sick tgey are.

Fruit isn't as important as veggies. But diet alone won't cure her infection. It isn't lightly that I say you need a veterinarian . As sudden death can be the next step...birds rarely go through "sick burd" symptoms and when you get classic "sick burd " symptoms they are usually 48 hours from death. If you treat her now less expensive higher chance for quick recovery...

It appears you didn't read my post fully, or you read it before I edited it.

"Her nose is completely dry now. If you notice her beak is also wet, she'd just been eating pears clumsily!"

She has always been quiet, she's just nervous of people, has been like that all her life and all the 1 year I've had her.

The pellets claim you don't need any other food, and recommend against it. My vet says as much fruit as you like, he never mentioned vegetables.

OP
L

lvitali

May 6, 2021
The Bill structure, both upper and lower appear a bit on the long side. Just barely in the area of 'needing' attention. It is nice to have a laid back Amazon, but with a lack of interest in turning big things into tiny bits, this can be the results.

If the interest continues to be on the 'lack of side' you are likely faced with a regular trimming of the upper and lower Bill structure. Assure that you have only a trained Avian Profession complete the work as a bit to much can result in pain and not eating.
I've trimmed my grey's beak by a small amount myself without problem (3mm). I'll just leave hers unless it gets longer, it's been the same length for a year. Since I've started putting fresh branches in there, they've been destroying them rapidly, but I'm not sure if that's both of them or just her partner! If I'm worried I'll set up a camera to watch.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Unfortunately you will get intermittent discharge, many times missed by owners. Or even no drainage ...

I have decades of experience with sick birds. And I'm using my experience to help you. I feel pretty confident that your bird has a health issue..especially with back story.

When you ask for advice you don't always get the advice you want. But hopefully this thread will help others.

Worrisome advice from vet. Plenty of counter advice out there.

Best of luck to you. Hopefully I am wrong!

OP
L

lvitali

May 6, 2021
Unfortunately you will get intermittent discharge, many times missed by owners. Or even no drainage ...

I have decades of experience with sick birds. And I'm using my experience to help you. I feel pretty confident that your bird has a health issue..especially with back story.

When you ask for advice you don't always get the advice you want. But hopefully this thread will help others.

Worrisome advice from vet. Plenty of counter advice out there.

Best of luck to you
Well I'll keep an eye on her, but what you saw in the photo was most definitely pear all over her face. Messy eater.

She's not changed her ways for a year, so I'm not suspecting anything wrong. Every time I've had a parrot with an infection, they've ended up with a lack of energy and I've noticed it immediately.

Trouble is advice is an opinion, even with human doctors, they all disagree. My doctor told me my blood pressure was fine for years, then I changed doctor and he said it was alarmingly high. I tried to report the first one, but there's a 6 month time limit here for such a thing. The first one was actually using one of those old mechanical ones you listen to by ear! the electronic ones are used everywhere else.

Most Reactions