Begging B & G!!

Leigh1009

Oct 29, 2013
Nashville, TN
Parrots
Maxine- Blue and Gold Macaw
Ive had my bird for 4-5 years and she begs ALL THE TIME! Out of her cage, on her rope in the room with me, on my shoulder, everywhere! I have no idea what she wants and I don't think she does either!

She is healthy per my vet
eats a healthy diet of pellets, fruits, grains, veggies
she not hormonal- its year round- 24-7
I try to play with her but she gets frustrated
I try to make other noises when she is doing it, try to make her talk, sing....anything and she reverts right back to her "Hupping"

She crouches down and makes a noise that sounds like "Hup- hup-hup-hup" OVER AND OVER again! Its been driving me absolutely crazy for years! I used to think it was anxiety (She didn't have the best past before I got her) but now am leaning more toward begging.

How do you go about attempting to stop a macaw from begging?

Any help or idea will be greatly appreciated!!

:confused:

Last edited:
OP
L

Leigh1009

Oct 29, 2013
Nashville, TN
Parrots
Im not sure because I have no idea what she wants. I do (At times) try to give her things that I think she might be begging for but not all the time. (I hope that made sense) I try very hard to ignore it- not her but the annoying noise.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
I would have to actually see the behavior to diagnose this one...

All I can tell you is that Big Macs are very attention oriented, and both of mine are lap birds.

If I had to guess, it's an attention thing.

Has this bird been taught to self entertain? Does she play with her toys, when you tell her not now?

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Birdman,

I was thinking of the samething but like you I have to see it to know. She's here in Nashville, I can do in home consultation but it would be several weeks before I have time....

OP
L

Leigh1009

Oct 29, 2013
Nashville, TN
Parrots
Its kind of high pitched but not a whisper and not yelling-

I can try to take a short video of her doing it. She never does anything I want her to so she will probably not do it. LOL. As Im new on this site, is it possible to upload a video onto here? If not I guess I could put it on Youtube long enough for you guys to view her.

She doesn't play or self entertain AT ALL! Ive gotten toys and tried to teach her to play but she just gets irritated. Shes kind of like an irritable mean old lady. She would be happy if I would sit on top of her cage and look out the window with her.

I live outside of Nashville, in Fairview.. its southwest of Nashville. I would LOVE for you to come observe her behavior! I have tried to find someone to do that for years! she is the first bird Ive ever had or even touched. So when I rescued her I was CLUELESS! I had to research everything! I just had to get her out of her living situation. There are so many things that she does that I don't know what it means. I would appreciate it very much- whenever you would have the time!

Last edited:

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
I'll let you know when I get the chance. Being close to holidays doesn't help.....

Most Reactions