Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
I thought it would be cool to make a thread for Milly and record/explain her behaviors and how I care for her and what seems to work/what doesnā€™t etc.
I think it will also be interesting to show her interactions with the parrots when she is introduced to them.
This will probably 6 months or more down the road.
Iā€™ll get into her care later, right now, her behavior!

73C89901-30A5-448F-B235-7E23E8C3539B.jpeg

This is a picture so you canā€™t hear it! But sheā€™s making what I call curious peeping, she doesnā€™t do this often, mostly when she sees my phone or a new toy/food.
D515E3A9-12B6-4F80-BE8F-91478D55C3A4.jpeg

She enjoys, sigh, aggressive skin preening! If there is a piece of skin around your fingernails, she is removing it! Period!

I donā€™t have a pic of her hormonal dance but she only has done it directed at my dad, she reeeeally likes him!
She turns into a fluffy ball, flutters her wings rapidly, and makes rapid peeping.

Iā€™ll go into her care and what she eats when I have time!

OP
zERo

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Iā€™ll talk mostly about her care now,.

Her cage is 30in. L, 18in. W, 18in H.
Not a huge cage but it suits her needs.

She can jump 6-10in high is she can reach higher perches.
I have 2 platforms for her, and 1 corner platform. She has a swing that she attacks but wonā€™t stand on.
She has a non-fuzzy but she doesnā€™t go in šŸ¤­
She has other perches too.
I swap out many of them probably monthly but it seems to bother her.
3C5DE71B-7F49-4178-A487-20DBFA3F5D4C.jpeg

Her diet is simple, I offer her a large variety but sheā€™s pretty selective.
She wonā€™t eat chop, but I offer it daily anyway.
The only veg she eat is greens, she LOVEs mustard green and kale.
She eats 5-6 mealworms daily.
I leave Dr. Harveyā€™s finch mix for her 24/7, she mostly just eats the different millet kinds, red, Japanese, and gold.
She has egg food often too, but I canā€™t tell if she eats it.
Most recently, Iā€™ve started putting a dish of crushed egg shell in her cage, I canā€™t tell if sheā€™s eating it or just throwing it šŸ˜…
I also added a cuttlebone.

I keep a 50 ceramic heat lamp on for her all the time too.

I keep her supplied with toys too, she likes to toss crinkle paper around, and shred vine shapes the most.

Yep, sheā€™s not too hard to care for! I hope Iā€™m doing it right!

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Awwwwwww, I love Milly, she's such a little sweetie! And I like your description of her "aggressive skin preening" of you, I think that's what Lovejoy does to me too :rolleyes:

I wonder if she might prefer a little seagrass hut to hide out in, rather than the "non fuzzy" version that you mention? I have one like this for Lovejoy, it originally belonged to Lilly who was THE most hormonally overactive hen in the world ever, but it triggered no egg laying or any broody response at all in her. Lovejoy doesn't use it as much as Lilly did, she used to sleep in or on top of hers whereas he will often retreat into it if he hears one of the outside birds start up an alarm call. I do think that some little birds like to have somewhere they can tuck themselves away for some privacy or a nap sometimes, though you do have to monitor to ensure they don't get TOO unhealthily enthusiastic about them!

seagrasshut.jpg

OP
zERo

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Awwwwwww, I love Milly, she's such a little sweetie! And I like your description of her "aggressive skin preening" of you, I think that's what Lovejoy does to me too :rolleyes:

I wonder if she might prefer a little seagrass hut to hide out in, rather than the "non fuzzy" version that you mention? I have one like this for Lovejoy, it originally belonged to Lilly who was THE most hormonally overactive hen in the world ever, but it triggered no egg laying or any broody response at all in her. Lovejoy doesn't use it as much as Lilly did, she used to sleep in or on top of hers whereas he will often retreat into it if he hears one of the outside birds start up an alarm call. I do think that some little birds like to have somewhere they can tuck themselves away for some privacy or a nap sometimes, though you do have to monitor to ensure they don't get TOO unhealthily enthusiastic about them!

View attachment 49687
I love her too! And I love Lovejoy! Heā€™s such a handsome guy! šŸ˜
I admit though, skin preening is never fun!

Iā€™ve thought about getting her one of those, but I almost think her head could fit in the holes?
Iā€™m not sure, I have a few mats so I could make one but Iā€™ll have to see if the holes are small enough first.
Sheā€™d probably like to shred it! šŸ˜†

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Ooooohhh good point about getting her head stuck! I just had a look at Lovejoy's and there are a few spots where that sort of thing might just happen with a tiny wee bird like Milly, I keep forgetting just how little she is!

OP
zERo

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Ooooohhh good point about getting her head stuck! I just had a look at Lovejoy's and there are a few spots where that sort of thing might just happen with a tiny wee bird like Milly, I keep forgetting just how little she is!
I wish she was more budgie sized! Iā€™m hoping to train her to stand in the scale so I can see how much she weighs. She canā€™t have the smallest Birdie bagels to play with either.

OP
zERo

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Hereā€™s her chop with mealworms.
IMG_0115.jpeg

Sheā€™s started taking seeds from my hand, if I donā€™t hand her the kinds she likes she bites me! šŸ¤­
IMG_0133.jpeg
IMG_0128.jpeg

She dispatches the worms immediately
IMG_0112.jpeg

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Yep! I go to a local pet store for them.
She must LOVE them! I bought a few hundred live ones on Amazon once for the outdoor wild birds and it was amazing how they went nutso over them! Chickadees and woodpeckers would swoop in and fill their beaks full and fly off to feed them to their kids. Kind of a strange thing to store in the fridge, however.

OP
zERo

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
She must LOVE them! I bought a few hundred live ones on Amazon once for the outdoor wild birds and it was amazing how they went nutso over them! Chickadees and woodpeckers would swoop in and fill their beaks full and fly off to feed them to their kids. Kind of a strange thing to store in the fridge, however.
Oh yeah I bet wild birds love them too!
Iā€™ve got a designated meal worm shelf šŸ˜…

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Sheā€™s started taking seeds from my hand, if I donā€™t hand her the kinds she likes she bites me! šŸ¤­

Tee hee, sounds like she's training you very well, love it!!

HSRivney

Jun 30, 2018
Las Vegas, Nevada
Parrots
African Ring Neck, Ringo
Iā€™ll talk mostly about her care now,.

Her cage is 30in. L, 18in. W, 18in H.
Not a huge cage but it suits her needs.

She can jump 6-10in high is she can reach higher perches.
I have 2 platforms for her, and 1 corner platform. She has a swing that she attacks but wonā€™t stand on.
She has a non-fuzzy but she doesnā€™t go in šŸ¤­
She has other perches too.
I swap out many of them probably monthly but it seems to bother her.
View attachment 49683
Her diet is simple, I offer her a large variety but sheā€™s pretty selective.
She wonā€™t eat chop, but I offer it daily anyway.
The only veg she eat is greens, she LOVEs mustard green and kale.
She eats 5-6 mealworms daily.
I leave Dr. Harveyā€™s finch mix for her 24/7, she mostly just eats the different millet kinds, red, Japanese, and gold.
She has egg food often too, but I canā€™t tell if she eats it.
Most recently, Iā€™ve started putting a dish of crushed egg shell in her cage, I canā€™t tell if sheā€™s eating it or just throwing it šŸ˜…
I also added a cuttlebone.

I keep a 50 ceramic heat lamp on for her all the time too.

I keep her supplied with toys too, she likes to toss crinkle paper around, and shred vine shapes the most.

Yep, sheā€™s not too hard to care for! I hope Iā€™m doing it right!
I raised a nestling a few years back. He was so sweet, finally reintegrated him to the yard with the flock after 6 months. He flew in the house on Christmas morning to say farewell and heā€™s been outside ever since.
I need help, though. I found a nestling on my driveway last week. Been feeding Exact. Two days ago its legs seem to have given out. Iā€™m at a loss with what to do. Can anyone tell me what to do? Itā€™s still eating, I have to move it out so it can poop but it canā€™t stand and one leg seems worse than the other. Any ideas are welcome!

Attachments

• IMG_2274.jpeg
    IMG_2274.jpeg
    240.4 KB · Views: 16
OP
zERo

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
I raised a nestling a few years back. He was so sweet, finally reintegrated him to the yard with the flock after 6 months. He flew in the house on Christmas morning to say farewell and heā€™s been outside ever since.
I need help, though. I found a nestling on my driveway last week. Been feeding Exact. Two days ago its legs seem to have given out. Iā€™m at a loss with what to do. Can anyone tell me what to do? Itā€™s still eating, I have to move it out so it can poop but it canā€™t stand and one leg seems worse than the other. Any ideas are welcome!
Oh no!

If I were you, Iā€™d make a thread about this baby so that more people will see and be able to answer your questions more effectively.

Most Reactions