Bell aggression

katie_fleming

Oct 30, 2012
Montreal, Canada
Parrots
Jasper (6yr old Solomon Island Eclectus Parrot)
I have a large bell that I attach to the fold-down door and Jasper will sit on the other door playing with it for hours. It's literally his favourite toy EVER.

Lately though hes become very possessive of the bell. If I go to remove it, he'll clamp down HARD. It's a bite without drawing blood, but I have a mark on my hand today from last night.

I end up waiting until he's put himself to bed to remove it, or I distract him to remove it. Because if I'm near it, I'm getting it. Even if he steps up on my hand and I'm not touching the bell, he'll reach down and give me a good clamp down.

Other than the above, how do I deal with this? This is the only toy he does this with.

Thank you :)

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
"THAT'S MINE!!! DON'T MESS WITH MY STUFF..."

It's normal. He's still pet quality.

Keatz

Jan 5, 2016
Australia
Parrots
Oscar (eclectus)
Basil (Amazon)
Oscar's possessive of his ball. He was rolling it around the floor the other night. Every time it passed my feet, he would try to bite my toes. After a while, I lifted my feet up on the couch, and then he climbed up the couch and started attacking my feet.
There are training techniques to discourage this type of behaviour. For instance, in your case, each time you put your hand near Jasper's ball and he nips you, you're inadvertently teaching him to bite. One solution would be to place the back of a clenched hand, which supposedly is the least easiest part of the hand for him to grip with his beak, near the ball, and once he knows he hasn't got you bluffed, he should stop doing it. If that fails, try wearing a glove.
But, as Oscar Wilde said, the best thing to do with advice is pass it onto others: I've not bothered training Oscar not to bite. He's rarely aggressive, and the odd recalcitrant act gives him character.

Most Reactions

Latest posts