Sunnyclover

Jan 11, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Sun Conure - Ollie- Hatched 08/18/16*

Nanday Conure -Finley- Hatched 10/07/17*

Turquoise Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure -Paris- Hatched 03/03/18*

Black Capped Conure -North- Hatched 10/10/18
Hi! I have a 5 month old Sun Conure, Molly and we're considering getting a 2nd parrot in the future. I was wondering when is her best age to get a 2nd parrot so that the end result is that both parrots are interested in my husband and I and not just each other. And advice would be so appreciated!:orange:i

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
Age isn't really the defining factor in who the parrot loves. However I always suggest you wait at least until your current bird hits sexual maturity. I have no doubt your family can handle the frustrating and frightening transition from sweet baby to hormone packed teenager, but it really is best to first experience this in a ONE BIRD home. I would also suggest waiting until you have gone through your first spring time with a sexually mature bird before adding a second one for the same reasons.

You want to make sure you really know what the worst days look like before doubling the trouble ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
Strongly agreeing. :)

Maybe also consider an already-mature rescue/adoption... there are so many in need...

And I think most here will agree that there are just never any guarantees that the two birds will get along, or not, or want to bond with either or both of you. Many here have to keep birds separated. They're unpredictable beings.

Good luck, and good for you for researching and reaching out!

OP
Sunnyclover

Sunnyclover

Jan 11, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots

Thank you for the advice! I guess it's going to be a while....That's okay. Just me and Bae for now!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
I always ask people who are considering a second parrot - WHat about your current parrot is not satisfying your parrot needs? Does it not talk? or play? or not accept scratches? or is in mating mode 24/7/12 ? Are you hoping a second parrot will fix some condition or situation ?

Or do you just love Parrots and find it in your heart to take on a second life to be responsible for, possibly well past when you have passed away?

OP
Sunnyclover

Sunnyclover

Jan 11, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots

I just fell in love with Molly so much and I wanted another little feather person to join our family. Mally does not leave me wanting for anything, she is amazing. She doesn't talk and her species isn't known for being big talkers so I knew that she might never talk and I am fine with that. I did visit a specialty bird store yesterday to just take a look at other birds for fun and I had this overwhelming feeling that it wasn't the right time. I feel like I got extremely lucky with her because she cuddles, loves to play with me and her toys, is very trusting, has a great personality, likes my family members and is fairly quiet. I would hate to ruin things with her for another parrot too soon or maybe at all. The parrots at the store were very stand offish and many of them bit me and it was just so weird for me. I think for now it will be just her and I!

itzjbean

Jan 27, 2017
Media
Iowa, USA
Parrots
2 cockatiels
Molly sounds like such a sweetie! :) Sun Conures are awesome, I had a Jenday and he was just the most affectionate, loving bird. Love the yellow of the suns -- the red factors are just stunning in my opinion!

I agree with the other advice given, maybe wait a while to grow your trust bond with Molly and let her develop. If you do get another bird at some point in the future, housing them in separate cages helps keep them from ignoring humans and concentrating/bonding to each other.

OP
Sunnyclover

Sunnyclover

Jan 11, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots

Thanks.Yeah she is AMAZING! Best decision I ever made getting her.

Most Reactions